Yorkshire to Dorset towing

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We are planning to travel from Yorkshire to Dorset for whit bank holiday. Route planner takes us M1, A43 M40, A34 M3, M27, A31.

Any recommendations for routes others have used? Also any places to stop for a short break or to avoid. Thinking about places on A43, A34 , A31 possibly. Its our first time going to Dorset.

Many thanks in advance Annette

mto

Jul 14, 2002
Visit site
Warwick services on the M40 will probably be about halfway for you and they do have some dedicated parking for caravans. That if it is not full of white vans,

mto

Jul 14, 2002
Visit site
Sorry have just re read your post and see that you intend to use the A43 so you wont pass Warwick services. however Cherwell Valley services is at the junction of the A43 as it joins the M40.

Theres not many other options down the A43/A34 for caravans unless you were intending to stop for longer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Annette, your route is the most direct but expect very heavy traffic if travelling on the Friday. There are several places to stop on your route e.g. services at M40 Junction 10, Chievely services at the junction of M4 and A34 and Rownham services on M27 just after leaving the M3. There are two or three smaller services between Newbury and Southampton.

I live in Dorset and hope you enjoy your stay in a beautiful part of the world. Are you staying anywhere nice?

Ray

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Ray

Thanks. We are stopping at Crossways cc. We are planning to travel on the Saturday, setting off early morning, so hopefully will avoid heavy traffic. Annette

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agree with all that Ray says - One further point I would add as I live on the Hamphire/Dorset Border and your route is one that I use and have been "caught out" on many time re traffic on BH's is the following.

Do not use the Chievely Services at the M4/A34 - busy and can be difficult with a caravan.

Go on further down the A34 to the Sutton Scotney services just past the intersection with the A303. If you hear on the radio that Traffic is bad on your route and it can get very bad BH's arround Ringwood and the Bournemouth Spur Road (the places to listen out for are the M27 where it becomes the A31 towards Ringwood) - I recommend you consider a more cross country route by either taking the back exit road at the Sutton Scotney Services onto the A30 to Salisbury then the A354 down into Dorset, or turn off onto the A303 before the services and then take the A338.

Salisbury is never good, but easier to deal with than being stuck in trafic for hours as often happens on the M27/A31. It obviously depends on where you are going in Dorset.

I regularly see traffic at a standstill mid morning at Ringwood on the A31 on a Saturday mid morning - BH's are the worst!

Getting there is worth the hassle! Dorset is stunning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Annette, Hopefully you will miss the worst of the traffic by travelling Saturday morning but I would still aim to be at the M3 /M27 junction by 8am as the road is very busy westbound on any Friday or Saturday at this time of the year. You may also find that the Wimborne by pass section of the A31 is busy, but once you are pass Wimborne it should be ok.

I am sure you will enjoy your stay at Crossways, the Frampton Arms is very close at Moreton station and is a good Dorset pub with very friendly landlady and staff. If you intend going to Weymouth then day returns on the train are cheap and much easier than finding a place to park. By the Station / pub rail crossing is a radio site which I established some 10 years ago and still go to regularly as part of my job.

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's advice and suggestions. Its really helpful to have local information when planning journeys to new areas. We are looking forward to exploring Dorset. One of the attractions of Crossways cc is that we can also use the train. Kids like going on trains. Good to know that the local pub is nice. Annette

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts