Your most embarrising Caravan moment...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OK, so it was our first trip at Easter and I now feel brave enough to share with you what went wrong with us newbies!

1. Arrived at the most awkward pitch imaginal (full really tight u turn amongst trees to get on what we though would be a nice pitch) at wellington country park. After many attempts of getting round the corner finally decided the only thing was to un-hitch the caravan, re-adjust and re-hitch. Forgot to put the handbrake off after re-hitching (I was in such a fluster) and proceeded try and drive the van up this hill, well the caravan handbrake certainly worked but I was not too keen on the smoke that came out from under my car....

2. After unhitching, somehow did not clamp the jockey wheel tight enough, this resulted in the caravan suddenly dropping at the front end, lucky I was stood by the jockey wheel and caught the front end before it did any damage. This also sent my wife into a panick as I politely asked her to tighten the jockey wheel whist I held the van with all my strength....needles to say like the time we had a gas leak at home and she forgot where the gas tap was, she went into the same panick mode, this resulted in her twiddling just about everything on the front of the van other than the jockey wheel clamp. We got there in the end...

3. Having checked to see who was watching after these two disasters (you know is it me or do all the binds start twitching when someone arrives on site)?...Well I set it all up nice and level, legs down all looking good (back still hurting and my nice Rover 75 still smelling, not sure if it was actually on fire)! and my wife then declares...' I dont like the van there, it needs to be spun round for a better view of the woods'...........oh, OK so I lift the legs etc and calmly spin the van and hear an ulmighty crunch....I return to the side of the van to see that my nice large plastic step that was neatly placed outside the van door (because I though we were settled) had disappeared. YES you got it, completely wedged underneath the bloody caravan in the middle of it........needles to say I am looking forward to our second trip and hoping that we will not make so many mistakes the second time round...I am sure it will get easier but I am still dreading the number two's problem...scarred from a camping experience in a toilet tent a long time ago...it's a long story and I am sure you will not want me to go into detail.....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our most embarrasing moment- The first time we put the awning up and unpacked the whole thing laid the poles out as recommended already to start when we realised we had no sucky things! ( husbands technical term for bracer pads!) By the time the whole site was watching us so we packed the whole thing away pretending that was what we intended to do the first place!

second most embarassing was when we put the steadies down on the first ever campsite we stayed on and spent 1/2 a day walking uphill inside the caravan before we realised you were supposed to use the spirit level. When we looked at the van from the outside it was no wonder the whole site was laughing the poor caravan looked like it was sat on its backside!

Caroline

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
4th most embarising moment...just getting caught by my boss a minute ago surfing the net and reading this forum when I should be working! Still we are all losing our jobs including him and working our notice at the moment so he was OK...I think...I could of been looking at worse!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul & Ruth.
Dont know what happened there Ill Try again

Paul & Ruth

When I showed your post to my wife WE Howled with Lafter just the picture of your goings on. We all have done things like this. I hope you are able to smile about it now.

MArtin & Debs.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
hi.. our or miy most embarressing moment came on our first major trip with our van.we went to beverly park in paignton,got there early ours in morning and decided to try to get our van on before everyone started waking. little did i know that a front wheel drive car hitched to a fairly large caravan doesnt work too well on damp grass..especially trying to drive up hill cause some inconsiderate sod had blocked off the top entrance with their car.( driving downhill would have been a doddle).. anyway after frantic forwarding and reversing i managed to get the unit somewhat straight to the pitch which was at a right angle to the caravan in front of us..the car decided it wasnt having any of it and just began to wheelspin in reverse whish sent 2 sprays of mud and grass up the side wall of this new caravan..i could notice all the twitchin curtains and in the end a gent asked me if i wanted to hook it up to his big shogun and he would site it for me.. im sure it was french i replied to him.. and off he went back to his van chunterring under his breath.. in the end i had to eat humple pie, go and apologise,saying i was ratty due to having given up smoking days before and ask him to be a samaritan.. he did and we ended up being quite pally with them..but i still had to wash the other caravan as all camp site watched me.. as soon as i got abck home i traded in the renault scenic for a freelander.. now im the one helping others.. and i have also calmed down.. :eek:)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi we now look back at embarrising time was a few years ago we were cc site at york race track we had to revers up a small hill on wet grass i had a couple of trys with no effect . my wife who is always right said get out let me try with that she put a full lock on the steering and foot down guess who got covered in mud head to foot p.s we did get there eventully have a good laugh now i did look a sight

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It sounds like you all need a Caravan Mover! You will still get an audience, but maybe also a round of applause when you calmly reverse your precious caravan between two trees which are 2 inches further apart than the width of your van, then pitch up in the best spot, right next to the river. The best bit comes when your wife says "Darling, shouldn't we be facing the other way?" Then, with the press of two buttons on your remote control, you simply do a 180 degree turn and settle down for a pleasant weekend. The best

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul & Ruth

With reference to your third incident, a 'van opposite us did this on a site once, only it wasn't the steps that he hit, but the rear wing of his car. We couldn't see the damage to the 'van but there was a lovely crease down his wing. He was packing up at the time and turning it to get off the pitch. Ouch, one way of spoiling your holiday.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts