04 plate Vectra 2.0 dti sxi turbo diesel

May 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Folks.

First off, hope everyone has a good and safe caravaning season.

We've just bought ourselves a new tow car.

Car is a 04 plate Vectra turbo diesel 2.0 DTI SXI 5 door hatchback, kerb weight is 1470kg 85%=1250kg.

It will be towing our 2002 Ace Jubilee Ambassador 2 berth, mtplm =1247kg althought I doubt we will ever get to that weight in the van as it's just my wife and I these days so even fully loaded it would be well within the 85% mark.

Question is I have just discovered the Vectra 2.0 DTI only has a power output figure of 98 bhp, although the torque figure is 169lb/ft and I'm concerned the car will be under powered, it drives like a dream solo and pulls very stongly, so much different from the petrol engined cars I driven, our previous tow car was a Mitsubisi Galant 2.0lt gls and this Vectra feels much more powerfull even though the Galant was 134bhp with torque figure of 131lb/ft.

I haven't managed to get the Vectra in for a towbar fitting yet so can't try it out, at the moment I just need to know if anyone has had any experience of the car for towing. It feels powerfull enough but I just need my mind reasured by fellow caravaners.

Best Regards

Ken.

Dec 10, 2005
Visit site
I tow with a 1998 vectra Di (low pressure turbo) it makes 83 bhp, and tows a van thats 1000kg. It tows fine although it wont brake any land speed records! I thought all newer 2ltr diesel vectras made 120 bhp standard?

If it does struggle (shouldnt do), diesel power up boxes are available for about

May 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Al

Thanks for your comments, There doesn't appear to be many folk in this forum who use this car model for towing.

Still getting the towbar fitted next week so will try it out as soon as, if it doesn't perform I'll tweek the engine a bit.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
I tow with an older vectra tdi.

i only have a two berth that is around the 850kg.

no problems at all, and your bhp isn't a worry as its the torque

that you need and whilst 169 ft/lb isn't great compared to newer

commonrail diesels, its still enough to be able to tow a larger

caravan like you own..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ken,

I to own a Vecta,51 plate estate 2.2dti max power(bhp123), Max Torque(lbft199)Tows a bailey Pageant 1181kg.

My kerb weight is 1450 with a max towing weight of 1400 so I just manage to keep within the 85% margin.

Serviced every 12 months, includig oil changes,never had any problems towing, overtaking heavy lorries the car always remains stable.

Happy motoring .

Royston

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ken,

Have got the same model Vectra as you except we have got the 2.2 engine it tows like a dream absolutely brilliant,you won,t regret buying it plus its very economic fuel wise.Our caravan is a Bailey Pageant Champagne,best car we have ever bought and we,ve been caravanning for 32yrs.Happy Caravanning and enjoy your Vectra.Jim

May 2, 2005
Visit site
Folks.

Thanks for your comments, got the towbar fitted and took the van away for the weekend, towed our ace with no problem at all, even up hill was no effort, more that enough horse power and with ONLY 98bhp? MPG was terrific, 1248kg is the 85% loading on the car apparently, so even with our van fully loaded we're within 85% mark.

On the whole I'm well pleased with the car

Cheers

Ken

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ken,

Have got exactly the same model Vectra(03) as you but with the 2.2 engine and it tows like a dream absolutely brilliant makes towing a pleasure,We tow a Baileys Pageant Champagne.Very economic too solo 51mpg towing 36mpg can,t get better than that go for it Ken.Jim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts