1.2tsi Yeti

Jan 19, 2002
1,532
439
19,935
Visit site
You might find the stats on the attached link helpful. 1200kg seems to be the manufacturers limit which is doable with some light 2 berth vans - Swift Sprite Alpine might be an example for you. Quite fancied one myself while there were still some newish cars about, but decided that the 2.0TDi would offer more scope with the additional kerbweight.
https://www.gocaravanning.com/towcars/Skoda-Yeti-09-onwards-1-2-TSI-E-5d-Tow-Weights.html
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,802
6,479
50,935
Visit site
Try looking at the Towcar.info website where you can input the car and any caravans that might be within its towing limits. The results of that site are comprehensive and on my three most recent cars the results were quite accurate. So much so that I sold my 2.0 150bhp Forester as the results confirmed my experience with the car towing 1000kg MTPLM. So when I went to 1300kg even though the cars towing limit was 2000kg I couldn’t live with its need for revs. Might say it wasn’t bought for towing.
 
Mar 14, 2005
17,851
3,223
50,935
Visit site
Legally you must of course stay within the manufacturers weight limits GVW & GTW values.

Its very important to understand that caravans are physically large and like the sail on a boat the large area needs more power to tow them to a given speed. It also means they will react to side winds and bow waves from other vehicles on the roads. When teh caravan experiences these windage forces, it will push and pull against the car. It therefore makes it very sensible to to ensure the car is significantly heavier than the caravan to help overcome those forces.

With that consideration in mind, the UK caravan industry has issued advice that especially novice caravanners should keep the all up weight of the caravan (MTPLM) to be less than the unladen weight of the car. The advice offers no guarantees for matching or safety but it is starting point. Novices are advised to keep below 85% and only increasing as experience is gained.

Based on the Yeti having an unladen weight of 1275kg, that suggests your first caravan should not have an MTPLM exceeding 1075kg.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,802
6,479
50,935
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Legally you must of course stay within the manufacturers weight limits GVW & GTW values.

Its very important to understand that caravans are physically large and like the sail on a boat the large area needs more power to tow them to a given speed. It also means they will react to side winds and bow waves from other vehicles on the roads. When teh caravan experiences these windage forces, it will push and pull against the car. It therefore makes it very sensible to to ensure the car is significantly heavier than the caravan to help overcome those forces.

With that consideration in mind, the UK caravan industry has issued advice that especially novice caravanners should keep the all up weight of the caravan (MTPLM) to be less than the unladen weight of the car. The advice offers no guarantees for matching or safety but it is starting point. Novices are advised to keep below 85% and only increasing as experience is gained.

Based on the Yeti having an unladen weight of 1275kg, that suggests your first caravan should not have an MTPLM exceeding 1075kg.

Looks like a Trigano Silver 420dd. 760 exworks, 1000mtplm, tows beautifully as it’s is lower than normal vans. Goes in your garage and no autoroute charges. Excellent quality. I enjoyed mine but you have to accept its sits somewhere between a camper van and normal caravan. Drawbacks? Requires you to make an appointment if you wish to move around when the van is full of folks and dogs.
 
May 7, 2012
8,598
1,816
30,935
Visit site
The Prof's advice is very sound although exceeding the 85% figure by a small amount should not be a problem from a stability point of view. A 1.2 engine though is very low on power and whatever weight Skoda show as the towing limit I would be inclined to keep weight down to get any decent performance.
Not sure what you are looking for but if you want a full height caravan the Lunar Ariva might be worth a look although the smallest two berth from most manufacturers would also work.
There are a few four berths you could consider but they will be tight for internal space.
 
Aug 30, 2018
4
0
0
Visit site
Not towed with one but had the 1.2t for 3 years. Barely capable of moving itself fully loaded without thrashing the engine. The DSG box would go on holiday immidiately before pulling out of junctions too which was a problem. Nice car and very stable on its own but I wouldn't want to tow with one. 2.0 diesel much better.
 
Aug 28, 2018
26
0
0
Visit site
Well thanks for the advice, Although i will not be towing with the yet as the van i have bought is 1280kg Avondale Dart 556/6 2007

So looks like i need a tow car and suggestions?
 
Dec 6, 2013
200
3
18,585
Visit site
You don't say what your budget is so not sure if these suggestions suit. However, we're on our third Passat estate 2.0 TDI (150bhp) and us it to tow an Avondale Dart of similar weight (though not that specific model). The car is now approaching 80k miles after 3 years, returns around 50-55mpg solo and 30-32 mpg with the caravan behind and nothing - by which I mean not one single thing - has gone wrong with it.

The same engine is available in the Skoda Karoq (the Yeti's replacement) and Superb, the VW Tiguan and the Audi A4 and A6, any of which would also be fine.
 
Oct 8, 2006
1,804
562
19,935
Visit site
SamandRose said:
You don't say what your budget is so not sure if these suggestions suit. However, we're on our third Passat estate 2.0 TDI (150bhp) and us it to tow an Avondale Dart of similar weight (though not that specific model). The car is now approaching 80k miles after 3 years, returns around 50-55mpg solo and 30-32 mpg with the caravan behind and nothing - by which I mean not one single thing - has gone wrong with it.

The same engine is available in the Skoda Karoq (the Yeti's replacement) and Superb, the VW Tiguan and the Audi A4 and A6, any of which would also be fine.

For a start, +1 with the Passat - best tow car we have ever had.
However whilst the Superb, A4 and A6 are built on the same chassis as the Passat, the Karoq/T-Roc. Tiguan and Yeti are all based on the Golf chassis.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,802
6,479
50,935
Visit site
Woodentop said:
SamandRose said:
You don't say what your budget is so not sure if these suggestions suit. However, we're on our third Passat estate 2.0 TDI (150bhp) and us it to tow an Avondale Dart of similar weight (though not that specific model). The car is now approaching 80k miles after 3 years, returns around 50-55mpg solo and 30-32 mpg with the caravan behind and nothing - by which I mean not one single thing - has gone wrong with it.

The same engine is available in the Skoda Karoq (the Yeti's replacement) and Superb, the VW Tiguan and the Audi A4 and A6, any of which would also be fine.

For a start, +1 with the Passat - best tow car we have ever had.
However whilst the Superb, A4 and A6 are built on the same chassis as the Passat, the Karoq/T-Roc. Tiguan and Yeti are all based on the Golf chassis.

+2 for my Superb 4x4 Estate with 179 bhp. 50/55 mpg on solo runs, mid 60s mpg on highland roads. Can’t see what Golf floor plan has to do with the discussion other than their kerbweights might not be sufficient for the OP’s outfit choice.
 
Oct 8, 2006
1,804
562
19,935
Visit site
otherclive said:
Woodentop said:
SamandRose said:
You don't say what your budget is so not sure if these suggestions suit. However, we're on our third Passat estate 2.0 TDI (150bhp) and us it to tow an Avondale Dart of similar weight (though not that specific model). The car is now approaching 80k miles after 3 years, returns around 50-55mpg solo and 30-32 mpg with the caravan behind and nothing - by which I mean not one single thing - has gone wrong with it.

The same engine is available in the Skoda Karoq (the Yeti's replacement) and Superb, the VW Tiguan and the Audi A4 and A6, any of which would also be fine.

For a start, +1 with the Passat - best tow car we have ever had.
However whilst the Superb, A4 and A6 are built on the same chassis as the Passat, the Karoq/T-Roc. Tiguan and Yeti are all based on the Golf chassis.

+2 for my Superb 4x4 Estate with 179 bhp. 50/55 mpg on solo runs, mid 60s mpg on highland roads. Can’t see what Golf floor plan has to do with the discussion other than their kerbweights might not be sufficient for the OP’s outfit choice.

Well for a start it has a shorter wheelbase which will affect handling and as it is shorter there is less leg length and (I may be wrong) you only get a tyre repair kit as there isn't enough room for a full spare wheel (well) and AdBlue tank.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,802
6,479
50,935
Visit site
Woodentop said:
otherclive said:
Woodentop said:
SamandRose said:
You don't say what your budget is so not sure if these suggestions suit. However, we're on our third Passat estate 2.0 TDI (150bhp) and us it to tow an Avondale Dart of similar weight (though not that specific model). The car is now approaching 80k miles after 3 years, returns around 50-55mpg solo and 30-32 mpg with the caravan behind and nothing - by which I mean not one single thing - has gone wrong with it.

The same engine is available in the Skoda Karoq (the Yeti's replacement) and Superb, the VW Tiguan and the Audi A4 and A6, any of which would also be fine.

For a start, +1 with the Passat - best tow car we have ever had.
However whilst the Superb, A4 and A6 are built on the same chassis as the Passat, the Karoq/T-Roc. Tiguan and Yeti are all based on the Golf chassis.

+2 for my Superb 4x4 Estate with 179 bhp. 50/55 mpg on solo runs, mid 60s mpg on highland roads. Can’t see what Golf floor plan has to do with the discussion other than their kerbweights might not be sufficient for the OP’s outfit choice.

Well for a start it has a shorter wheelbase which will affect handling and as it is shorter there is less leg length and (I may be wrong) you only get a tyre repair kit as there isn't enough room for a full spare wheel (well) and AdBlue tank.

Doesn’t always hold true with VAG MQB common platform. Wheelbases are quite variable between some models. Viz Octavia, Tiguan, A4 Estate, Golf Estate.
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts