Insurance renewal

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Good point Clive.
Once you know who the Insurer will be you can ask them , others , what their claims performance, handling is.
Also check with the Financial Ombudsman Service and ask how many complaints have been made about your potential choice .

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
You must be the jolly green giant, as I am 6ft 2, and have plenty headroom in my Sportage.
I am only 5’8’. But have a long body and short legs. Also I don’t bend like I used to. My old V70 was difficult to get into. And I recently tried an XC 60, a loveley car, but the same problem.

This Mazda and a Peugeot 3008 I test drove yesterday were fine. The problem lies more with me than the car.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Mazda a great car i hope you be very happy with your choice
Just brought it home, about 75 miles from Coventry. Such a nice drive. Very solid. Feels well built, up there with the VW’s and Volvos.

I reset the trip half way. Did about 25 miles on A roads and 8 on motorway. Averaged 45mpg. Great for a 2 litre petrol SUV in my opinion. I expect less on short journeys but should manage 36 on average. 🤞

The head up display and vented seats are fantastic.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Car insurance is due in two days time, LV quoted me £368 renewal, the AA through compare the market, quoted the same, I realised that I did need to make an alteration to the policy, car on the drive and not in the garage.
The AA requote was £416, ouch. Back to LV, told them the car was on the drive now, oh that will be £371, BUT, I can give you a discount. So renewal was down to £336. I will have that thank you.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Car insurance is due in two days time, LV quoted me £368 renewal, the AA through compare the market, quoted the same, I realised that I did need to make an alteration to the policy, car on the drive and not in the garage.
The AA requote was £416, ouch. Back to LV, told them the car was on the drive now, oh that will be £371, BUT, I can give you a discount. So renewal was down to £336. I will have that thank you.
That doesn’t strike me as too bad. Last year I looked high and low for car quotes as I felt LV had gone up too much. But using comparison sites and direct telephone lines I couldn’t really better LV. There were a couple a bit cheaper but I wasn’t going to jump ship from a well recognised insurer for the sake of a few quid. Ours are due in October so be interesting to see the combined quote.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Is caravan insurance a legal requirement and what does your car insurance cover.
My Bailie Senator only cost £2500 so do I really need to pay a high price to insure it ?
Whilst hooked up to the car and towing your motor insurers will usually cover any third
Party bodily injury or third party damage. You should tell your motor insurers you intend towing a caravan . Whilst most cover it some don’t .They will not cover damage to the caravan. If you choose to insure the caravan against damage with a caravan insurer , fine.see below.

The caravan itself when unhitched and parked up on site say , you need to consider two things.
1. Do you want the market value of the caravan and possible contents insured?
2. If your caravan causes damage to someone else’s property do you want to pay the cost yourself or insure against such contingency?

Reactions: williamalex1
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
. Whilst being towed you car insurance covers your caravan for third party risks, but it doesn’t cover damage to the caravan for damage incurred whilst towing. When not towing insurance for the caravan isn’t a legal requirement. But I suggest some firm of basic cover is required in case your caravan causes damage to third parties or their property.. Without cover you could be liable for any claims.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not necessarily. Always best to tell your insurer you are going to tow and shall we say, sorry to be pedantic, you have a tow bar fitted?
Better safe than sorry😉
Agree I have always declared a towbar to the insurer. I’ve never told an insurer about towing but have checked my policy T&C. But I guess informing them avoids any glitches such as policies that have restrictions on them.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
BTW I don't have a tow-bar fitted, I'll be hiring some firm to transport the caravan.
In that case, the towing company should insure the van in transit. When on a permanent pitch. You do not have to have insurance, but you need to way up the risks. Being sited the premium may well be cheaper than for touring.

It could very well be that the site owners will insist on the van being insured. I would.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
BTW I don't have a tow-bar fitted, I'll be hiring some firm to transport the caravan.
So why in #64 did you raise the question of what does your car insurance cover if you aren’t going to tow the caravan? Why should car insurance cover a caravan not being towed by the car, it doesn’t provide cover for your house.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts