110 Batteries

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
I have to replace my leisure battery and have been advised by my local caravan agent that it is now illegal to carry a 110amp battery in your external battery box.

If you require a battery of this size it is to be carried inside the caravan and the connected prior to use.

The max size allowable in a battery box is 90/100, has anyone come across this before and does anyone know correct the legal situation.

Thanks, john

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hmm, never heard of that one before John. Unless anyone else can verify this, I suggest that you ask the dealer to show you where this is written down. He must have got the information from somewhere, and not just word of mouth.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello John,

I'm not going to say its not true, because I don't know.

Can you ask your friendly neighborhood caravan sales person to quote the regulation and specify what its source is?

Bet he can't!

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
We bought a 110 battery from Towsure about 6 weeks ago - they had stacks of the things and no hint of legal issues for use. Needless to say, ours is installed in battery box & working very well! Maybe CC website has info?

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

Like you Anna I have just bought a 110. Perhapse nobody is telling us because they want to get rid of all their 110's before it becomes general knoledge.

I have scoured the web and I can find no mention of this any-where ?

Mar 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

Posted a reply to another battery problem the other day, If it was now illegal to carry a 110 in the box why is Exide bringing out a 115. Will ask at work next week if anybody has information regarding this issue has i work for Exide. With the 115 now finding its way onto the market place has the agent got a large stock left of 110s if this is the case he would be pussing you to buy them, or is it he knows a dealer down the road has the new 115s in.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Illigal to carry a 110 in the purpous made box. But ok to carry inside van which is definetly not recomended due to explosive hydrogen gas.Something doesnot add up here.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For John who posted the original message.

I repeat my challenge to you. Go back to the dealer and ask them to quote where the regulation can be found and what is the exact wording.

If they cannot do that, and show the statement was correct then they are guilty of misrepresentation, and trading standards should be advised.

This would resolve all questions.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
five weeks ago we picked up our new ace celebration 590 from glossop caravans and they fitted a 110 amp battery to the van for me, no hint of any legal obligations at all. glossop are one of the biggest retailers in the country so i doubt they would risk supplying an illegal battery. somebody is having a laugh.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Burstner 455TS which I bought from Barrons. It is fitted with a Reich Mover. Barrons advised me at last service (only two months ago) to buy the most powerfull and the biggest in size that would fit into the battery box. My battery is huge and fills the box. If Barrons are reccomending this then it casts doubt over what you have been told. my view is that it is infinitely safer in the box properly secured than anywhere else.

Jimbo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts