12 issue

Jul 16, 2023
Visit site
Hello
I have an Abbey Archway Royale (also says swift somewhere) and having some issues with the 12v

I have 2 round ceiling lights ( front living, middle over the fixed bed and rear bathroom) and 4 spot lights. They all have the little 12v 2 pin led bulbs. The middle round light turns on. None of the others work, except for a small flash on each one as I turn on the main fuse after turning it off. This is also true of the 12v car cigarette style charger port.

It happened twice and resolved when I disconnected and reconnected the ehu. Then it happened a 3rd time and hasn't resolved since. The bulbs all appear fine. Ive changed the hookup cable and the hookup location and the issue persists. The clicker on the oven is also not working.

I have swapped bulbs about but it remains that only the one light above the bed works. The others do not flicker if I use their switches. Its only when I flip the main fuse switch on their MCB.

I also have to keep the battery charger switch on even though I have no battery connected.

Any ideas? I can't see any reason why one of the ceiling lights would be on a different circuit but it's the only one working. Distance from the fuse board it is the closest but I have no idea if it is wired there first and not sure how to get the electrics diagram.

Its a 2005 abbey archway royal elegance but also has swift written on it somewhere too? Not really sure what that all means.

Thanks for any help.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hello
I have an Abbey Archway Royale (also says swift somewhere) and having some issues with the 12v

I have 2 round ceiling lights ( front living, middle over the fixed bed and rear bathroom) and 4 spot lights. They all have the little 12v 2 pin led bulbs. The middle round light turns on. None of the others work, except for a small flash on each one as I turn on the main fuse after turning it off. This is also true of the 12v car cigarette style charger port.

It happened twice and resolved when I disconnected and reconnected the ehu. Then it happened a 3rd time and hasn't resolved since. The bulbs all appear fine. Ive changed the hookup cable and the hookup location and the issue persists. The clicker on the oven is also not working.

I have swapped bulbs about but it remains that only the one light above the bed works. The others do not flicker if I use their switches. Its only when I flip the main fuse switch on their MCB.

I also have to keep the battery charger switch on even though I have no battery connected.

Any ideas? I can't see any reason why one of the ceiling lights would be on a different circuit but it's the only one working. Distance from the fuse board it is the closest but I have no idea if it is wired there first and not sure how to get the electrics diagram.

Its a 2005 abbey archway royal elegance but also has swift written on it somewhere too? Not really sure what that all means.

Thanks for any help.

Abbey is just one of the Swift Group brands. With no battery connected, the only way of getting 12v is from the battery charger on mains hook-up.

Jul 16, 2023
Visit site
Abbey is just one of the Swift Group brands. With no battery connected, the only way of getting 12v is from the battery charger on mains hook-up.
Hiya Roger

Based on the handbook it seemed as though the NC143 is meant to only be set to charger on when it's actually charging a battery. But perhaps I misread that. Either way it's not powering the 12v supply properly. I've had this van for a couple of years, never had a battery as it's been on the ehu and it's always worked the lights just fine. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I'm stumped.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If the bulbs are small two-pin capsules and have a small horizontal coil filament in them they are not LED but either 10W or 20W halogens. The pins will be 4mm spacing whence the capsules is known as a G4, or ÂĽinch/6.35mm spacing which are known as.................? Right, G6.35. IME experience they will be G4 - which incidentally are now obsolete (EU rules over energy since September ?21) but they are still available at retailers. If you haven't come across bare halogen capsules before be aware that you must NEVER touch the capsule with your bare fingers as the natural grease on your hands will cause the capsule to burn at the point of contact. Wear PVC gloves or handle the capsule in a tissue or if it comes in a box it will probably have a polythene sleeve around the capsule which you can slide off after the bulb is in its socket.

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would try putting a battery in to the system and see what happens, if the lights work then well and good, if they don't it's think again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello

Thanks for any help.
It's always difficult to accurately diagnose a problem like this over a forum, as we cant see it first hand, but some pointers to start with.

But a 2005 vintage caravan should have been fitted with a regulated and smoothed 12V dc power supply which strictly speaking does not need a battery to provide smoothing, unless you have a high current device like a caravan mover fitted.

If one light is working then it's unlikely to be the power supply /charger at fault. but having said that if you do have a Nordelettronica system, there is sadly a history of failures, requiring repairs or replacement.

Some cheap LED bulbs are polarity sensitive, so on the lights that don't work it may be worth unplugging the bulb, and turn it round 180 degrees and plug it back in to reverse its polarity it might work.

It could be a wiring fault , a loose connection.

The "clicker" on the oven is an electronic ignitor, and it also uses 12V power, so the fact it and some lights don't work does raise the question of is the power supply unit actually working., it might have developed a current limited output which suggests it could be faulty.

Please do bear in mind that even though we are discussing "12Vdc" systems, if its not wired up correctly it can still be dangerous in a caravan, so if your not confident about checking electricks, it might be best to get it checked by a professional.

Jul 16, 2023
Visit site
Thanks all. It is indeed a nordellectronica and further googling has given me a feel for how many issues they cause. A suggestion for a slightly different issue was a rapid on off for 12v circuit MCB. Its sort of worked in that I now I have all the lights that were off working and the one that was on is now off. I've stopped faffing with it for now seeing as I have it mostly back. It is bizarre though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts