12s plug problem

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Help! When we plug the grey plug into the car, the fuse for the car battery blows in the caravan. Until recently everything worked perfectly so am assuming something fairly simple. Van is Abbey GTS Vogue 417 (1998). Anyone have any ideas, as at the moment nothing will work off this plug.

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Claire, can you confirm my understanding of your problem. When you plug the 12s plug in WITHOUT the engine running there is a fuse called 'car battery' that blows?

The first thing to check is the supply from the car. Are you getting 12v positive on pin 4 with negative on pin 3?

If so then assuming all the caravan internal electrics cause no problems when the car is not attached it is possibly something wrong with the control circuit that feed car battery to the caravan 12v equipment.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray.

Yes, fuse blows as soon as it is connected without the engine or ignition on. How do check the positive and negative on the pins?If it is the circuit control, where is it likely to be. Sorry for all the questions but its so annoying when something thats worked perfectly well just suddenly stops!

Many thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Claire, You would use a multimeter, or a tester with LED's that indicate voltage and polarity. You appear to be unfamiliar with testing circuits, and even though 12v DC is not dangerous in the way that mains voltage is, I think you will have difficulty in interpreting the results. Any decent vehicle technician should be able to pin point the reason fairly quickly so I think that the yellow pages would be your best bet.

In the meantime you could check the connections inside the 12S plug and confirm the terminations are sound with no short circuits between pins .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts