12v socket

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi all

I'm after some more advice.

We spend 3 weeks away without ehu so try to utilise led lighting where possible to save power and therefore use led on a roll draped in roof of awning for awning light. On my last van, I would temporary 'hack' into the back of an internal spot light to power these awning lights, poking the wires through the window.

I've seen a picture on a vw camper forum of someone doing similar and they had used a very small 12v power Socket and plug, similar in still to earphone jack & socket but small. Anyone know what these are called and I've searched internet and eBay and i can't find anything similar. I want to hard wire them in maybe in the external battery box or 240v external socket box but can't find them.

Happy with alternative ideas if anyone has any?

Cheers as always

TD

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello TD
Can't tell you which plug and socket was shown in the VW, but as we are only talking about 12V dc there could be many practical options.

For the purpose you describe I personally would be happy to use a 1/4 inch mono jack plug and socket, as used for stage guitars, some professional loudspeaker connections. There are several different makers, and they are pretty reliable if you go for a high quality one (e.g Neutrik). You will find them readily available at music shops or electronic component retailers or on the Internet.

I would consider fitting the socket in a convenient place inside the caravans by the window where you bring the lighting cable in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts