12v system

Mar 7, 2019
Visit site
I have a Bailey pageant 2009 and the built in charger has had it . Can I change it for a different model that’s currently in it or if I decide to go solar can I remove the charger altogether

Thanks in advance for any advice

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ccfcdave said:
I have a Bailey pageant 2009 and the built in charger has had it . Can I change it for a different model that’s currently in it or if I decide to go solar can I remove the charger altogether

I would still retain a charger but there is accompany that supplies chargers and PSUs that are beer than the new ones supplied by Bailey and they are readily interchangeable.

Look at the thread on Built in battery Charger Replacement on this forum. I think the guy you would need is Gary at ARC Systems. The website is mainly heaters etc but he has previously posted on battery chargers and PSUs.
http://www.arcsystems.biz/

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Ccfcdave said:

Now I know this may be a daft question, but are you sure the PSU has failed? Note it is not a charger which would imply a controlled process, but rather a switched mode power supply (SMPS) that gives a constant output of about 13.8V. I ask because a common problem is that the 'kettle plug' that supplies mains to the box has become disconnected or even fallen out.
The SMPS is probably listed in the book as 20A, but you may find an indication of 22A and when you get it out it is actually 24A. If it is working you should get a live 12V system even with the battery disconnected. If you are working on the basis that the SMPS has failed because the battery has gone flat, there is a fuse in the +12V cable between the battery and the power box, usually hidden in the wiring under the bottom of the power box.
If you need to get inside the power box WITH THE MAINS OFF I would suggest you first remove the screws that hold the board on which the power box is mounted so as to give yourself more room, then unfasten the four screws around the outside of the case and the four screws in the recess around the MCBs etc, and gently lift the box front off. The SMPS is the metal box across the top and it just pulls out.
Personally I would just get a replacement unit - if yours has died it will probably be more likely related to old age rather than abuse. If you change to something different you have no guarantee that it will do the job properly and/or not damage the van electrics.
Finally, the usual reason that the SMPS fails is due to poor ventilation caused by the way Bailey fit them (the fitment design is almost universal across the Bailey range.) You can help the replacement by getting two very small 12V computer fans and wire them is series so that they run at lower speed and make less noise (you only need them to move the air, not to actually cool the unit.) Fit one on the outside of the power box case over the grille on the left panel near the top blowing air in, and the other over the grille on the top panel near the right pulling air out. (The direction of rotation and air flow are embossed on the outside of the fan body.) You may need to fit a switch as well so you can sleep. There is a fan inside the end of the SMPS but they are well known to fail, or rather the control circuit fails.
If you are not confident with mains, get someone who is to do the job for you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts