12volt fridge

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Hello, could someone on here tell me how to test a

fridge for 12volt operation, if there,s no tow vehicle available,and how do you bypass the relays. Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are no relays in the van to by-pass that I can think of.You could make up a 12S socket powered to pin 6 and earthed to pin 7 and 3.The 12 V should only work off the car battery via a relay when the alternator is charging due to the heavy current drain.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You can connect a 12v supply, capable of sustaining approx 8 amps, or a 110 ah battery via a 15A fuse, directly to the DC terminals of the fridge, or you could wire up a grey socket with pin 6 to (+) and pins 3 & 7 to (-). If you use the grey socket arrangement then you can power the fridge on pre and post 1999 caravans. There are no relays in the caravan that require to be bypassed, the fridge is fed directly from the Grey plug. ( on post 1999 vans the fridge supply operates the habitation relay, but this only effects the battery charge / permanent feed and not the fridge).

If you use a battery divide the ah by 8, take of about a third, and this would give you the approx. time a fully charged battery will be good enough to heat the fridge element.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Try connecting right pins on grey plug to a 12v source (car battery) with an ammeter in circuit - fridge takes about 96 watts (8amp). It would take too long to watch temperature fall (and badly flatten battery unless being charged). At least you will know it's working. I am assuming relays ar in car - if in 'van you will have to connect within 'van.

Peter T

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts