13 pin socket replacement

May 4, 2023
Visit site
Please help I'm in the process of replacing the 13 pin socket on the towbar. I have a Kuga attached to the caravan. When I tested the Kuga's fog lights go off when caravan fog lights on. I therefore bought a replacement 13 pin socket with fog off (Hela). Except when I came to remove old socket it looked a standard socket with no mechanical fog off switch. Is the Kuga cambus system handling the fog light on/off? I'm concerned that putting on the new socket with built in fog off switch will interfere with the Kuga system. Anyone got any ideas or solution. Thanks

JDP

Nov 2, 2020
Visit site
That is how it should operate with caravan attached. I also have a kuga that does the same and was told by Ford that as the van is coupled why do you need the fog on the back of the car when caravan blocks view. May be a bit silly but fully understand statement. Enjoy your towing as the kuga has been in my mind a fantastic tow car with the exception of the fuel tank size.

May 4, 2023
Visit site
I obviously haven't explained my problem accurately. The existing none fog cutout socket is broken. With the car automatically doing the fog lamp cutout I assumed it had a 13 pin fog off socket. It doesn't. I had purchased a 13 pin fog off socket and I'm now concerned fitting this socket will screw the Kuga canbus system. Unless someone has fitted a fog off socket on a Kuga or similar car and got away with it I will have to buy a standard socket and bin the new fog off socket

May 4, 2023
Visit site
Purchased standard 13 pin (Maypole) socket. Removed wiring from old socket then noticed discrepancy in wiring colours. I have
Yellow, Blue, White, Green, Brown, Red, Black, Red/black stripe, Brown with White stripe, Red again, White and finally yet another white. Possibly the Brown/white stripe is permanent live and a heavy duty Red wire is Fridge but not 100% sure. Anyone come across these colours in 13 pin cable?

May 4, 2023
Visit site
Purchased standard 13 pin (Maypole) socket. Removed wiring from old socket then noticed discrepancy in wiring colours. I have
Yellow, Blue, White, Green, Brown, Red, Black, Red/black stripe, Brown with White stripe, Red again, White and finally yet another white. Possibly the Brown/white stripe is permanent live and a heavy duty Red wire is Fridge but not 100% sure. Anyone come across these colours in 13 pin cable?
Update the permanent live is Brown with white stripe.
BTW what locks the internal pin assembly to the outer casing? For some reason my new unit just slides in and out without locking

May 4, 2023
Visit site
It appears I have 3 white wires coming to the 13 pin socket. Does it matter as all 3 should be joined to a common earth. Or have I missed something?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All on road electrics now working. Only problem now is Fridge not working and I'm beginning to wonder if it ever worked.
The fridge like the battery charging circuit is often voltage controlled and is only set operate when the tow vehicles alternator is producing enough excess power that can be spared to do both functions. So the engine has to be running and the the alternator producing power.

May 4, 2023
Visit site
Pin 10 update. It has never been connected. See attached photo. The constant 12 volt has been taken from Brown and white stripe wire to left and red wire you can see unattached ends up at pin 10. Any advice where I could tap 12 volt fridge voltage from?

Attachments

• 1000003741.jpg
    1000003741.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts