13 Pin Y cable converter to 12N and 12S

Apr 20, 2005
Visit site
Hoping someone can advise.

I have just taken delivery of a new car with a 13 pin connector (BMW). I have been given a Y cable adapter to connect to my 12N and 12S cables. At the ends of the Y adapter on each spur there is a metal "U" shaped clip. As the overall length of cables from car to van is too much to twist up what is the purpose of these clips and how do I use them to take up the slack?

Any advice welcome.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stephen

Normally put a few twists in the cable is usualy enough to keep it of the road, make sure you twist the cable and not the plug as this will damage cable you can put as many turns as needed. The clips you mention I think are cable clamps. I have not seen this before except on the back of a millitary Tank they have their own methods. It is not recommeneded that cables be tied up in any way as it will restrict the cable when making a tight turn. Hope this helps

Jim M

Apr 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stephen

Normally put a few twists in the cable is usualy enough to keep it of the road, make sure you twist the cable and not the plug as this will damage cable you can put as many turns as needed. The clips you mention I think are cable clamps. I have not seen this before except on the back of a millitary Tank they have their own methods. It is not recommeneded that cables be tied up in any way as it will restrict the cable when making a tight turn. Hope this helps

Jim M
Thanks for the feedback.

Stephen

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stephen,

The metal 'U' clip is to help prevent the connections coming loose or undone. To adjust the length of the cable I use two bungee straps, one close to the hitch and one further back towards the handbrake and ensure there is sufficient slack cable to enable sharp turns. Also make sure the bungee straps do not foul your breakaway cable.

Hope this helps, regards

Dave

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stephen, I have the same problem with my BMW. Firstly make sure you have a converter with fairly short cables. I then carry a supply of fairly long cable ties, use one of these to tie the 12n & 12s socket to the bottom of the swan neck ball, then just loosley platt the two cables together, half turn before plugging in then cable is nicely sitting up with plenty of slack available in case of tight turns. Who knows one day all vans will have 13pin!. Graham

Apr 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stephen,

The metal 'U' clip is to help prevent the connections coming loose or undone. To adjust the length of the cable I use two bungee straps, one close to the hitch and one further back towards the handbrake and ensure there is sufficient slack cable to enable sharp turns. Also make sure the bungee straps do not foul your breakaway cable.

Hope this helps, regards

Dave
Thanks Dave, I now have a couple of bungees and note your comment about the breakaway cable. Cheers, Stephen.

Apr 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stephen, I have the same problem with my BMW. Firstly make sure you have a converter with fairly short cables. I then carry a supply of fairly long cable ties, use one of these to tie the 12n & 12s socket to the bottom of the swan neck ball, then just loosley platt the two cables together, half turn before plugging in then cable is nicely sitting up with plenty of slack available in case of tight turns. Who knows one day all vans will have 13pin!. Graham
Graham

car came with an adaptor for just a trailer socket too, a one piece unit. Wouldn't it be nice if there was one that slpit two ways without all that cable. It will take a few years before all vans come with 13 pin connectors, if ever! We live in hope.

Stephen

Latest posts