14 yr old driver

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
In news today there was a news spot about a 14 yr old driver of a Saab was pulled for driving and towing a caravan, he also had 3 passengers none of which could also drive, he got a £20 fine and that was it, I’m sure the driver would not dare to drive again, £20 is not much of a scare is it.

BP

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I started driving on rural public roads when I was 14 and then on main highways at age 16 travelling hundreds of miles sometimes. Every day when I left our holiday cottage I had to drive past a traffic police car who was stationed there for speedsters. I got my learner's licence the day I turned 18 and 30 days later my full driving licence. Never had an issue, but this was not in the UK. This was back in the sixties. :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The report in a Swindon paper never said anything about whose caravan it was. The £20 wasn’t a fine it was a surcharge and there were no costs as he had no visible means. But surely a community order could have been issued.

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i started driving off road when i was at boarding school and met a school chum his dad was a driving instructor he use to give a few basic tips in this old mini and when i was 17 passed my test with flying colours . However, times change and the roads are busier and to say this "child" only received minimal charge then this is far from being a deterrent for his next escapade which could well involve more damage both to vehicles and human life.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was not aware that one could apply for a provisional driving licence at age 15years and 9 months and can drive a motor vehicle on public roads providing you have a qualified driver with you. Learn something new every day. Grandson has another 2 months before he can apply.

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
I was not aware that one could apply for a provisional driving licence at age 15years and 9 months and can drive a motor vehicle on public roads providing you have a qualified driver with you. Learn something new every day. Grandson has another 2 months before he can apply.
I was under the impression that the applying at 15 years and 9 months is to allow you to ride mopeds at 16, not drive a car. At 16 you can drive a car if you qualify for the enhanced rate of mobility under PIP, which I guess is pretty rare and it is 17 for everyone else.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My brother bought a Ford Popular 103e fot £5 on his way home from the pub. At 15 I could easily get in and hot wire it. I would drive through the Liverpool backstreets crossing some major roads for about 3 miles to a mates house. I can remember doing this a few times. So naughty.

I started proper lessons as soon as I could. The instructor asked if I had driven before. I told him of my experience so he directed me straight onto the ring road full of football traffic for a night game. I later passed my test first time in driving hailstone giving hand signals.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The report in a Swindon paper never said anything about whose caravan it was. The £20 wasn’t a fine it was a surcharge and there were no costs as he had no visible means. But surely a community order could have been issued.
Reading the report, he was from County Clare so wasn't a UK citizen.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
In news today there was a news spot about a 14 yr old driver of a Saab was pulled for driving and towing a caravan, he also had 3 passengers none of which could also drive, he got a £20 fine and that was it, I’m sure the driver would not dare to drive again, £20 is not much of a scare is it.

BP
Probably driving and towing better than some adults.
Mel

Reactions: otherclive
Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
My brother bought a Ford Popular 103e fot £5 on his way home from the pub. At 15 I could easily get in and hot wire it. I would drive through the Liverpool backstreets crossing some major roads for about 3 miles to a mates house. I can remember doing this a few times. So naughty.

I started proper lessons as soon as I could. The instructor asked if I had driven before. I told him of my experience so he directed me straight onto the ring road full of football traffic for a night game. I later passed my test first time in driving hailstone giving hand signals.

John
My dad bought me one of those when I was 13. We had a petrol station that was next to a disused quarry near Durham. I ragged it to death for about a year then got a Morris 1000, which also got murdered. I had 4 or 5 cars before I was 17 but never drove them on the road.
I had 6 driving lessons before my test which were necessary to 'get rid of the bad habits of an experienced driver' according to the instructor.
Early 70's.

:unsure:

Reactions: RogerL
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My dad bought me one of those when I was 13. We had a petrol station that was next to a disused quarry near Durham. I ragged it to death for about a year then got a Morris 1000, which also got murdered. I had 4 or 5 cars before I was 17 but never drove them on the road.
I had 6 driving lessons before my test which were necessary to 'get rid of the bad habits of an experienced driver' according to the instructor.
Early 70's.

:unsure:
Ah The eternal pink slip👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts