1970's 'metal'frame windows.

Nov 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi. I want to buy a nice 1970's caravan, it has the oldstyle 'metal' windows, unfortunately two of them have broken glass. Does anybody know whether its a 'difficult' task getting them reglazed or relatively straightforward? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Kenneth.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Older caravans, with metal-framed windows, were generally fitted with "float glass" which is very dangerous when broken. When regulations were introduced, requiring the use of "safety glass, most manufacturers changed to acrylic windows but a few may have soldiered on with "toughened" glass.

A glazier would be able to get glass cut and toughened for you but it's unlikely to be cheap.

The cheap alternative is to get an acrylic sheet, preferably 6mm, and cut to shape. It's quite delicate when being cut and can easily split. Check out a glazier for this as well.

DMT

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A few years ago I bought a 70's van with a broken window, I took the window out,took it to a glazing company and they put new glass in the frame and from what I can remember it did'nt cost alot.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts