1979 ABI Monza 1200CT

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'd never go back to using the sort of caravan that I bought to start us off, but I'd love to buy an older caravan to restore and to try a bit of retro styling out as a project.
The trouble is that my other half wouldn't be impressed if an old E-Bay wreck adorned our front drive :evil:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have many happy memories of caravanning in models from the 1960s onwards. In reality what a caravan did then and now is not very different. But things have changed, progressively over the years features have been introduced initially as a luxury, but after few years they become standard, and then some have acquired the status of being essential.

This has had the effect of generally increasing caravan weights, sizes and prices, which has also had an impact on the size of tow vehicles best suited for caravan owners.

There have been some positive changes such as better thermal insulation, less heavy windows and chassis, but equally the caravan manufacturers have not learned some of the most important lessons of keeping customers happy, fixing the issues like how make and keep joints water tight.

I don't begrudge anyone using luxuries, each to their own, and with increasing age, and disabilities I can appreciate the value of some products that I may have previously considered a luxury.

Would I go back to a 1979 model? Probably not. Certainly not it were an original 1979 model with its now rusted nails, corroded screws and panels with and loose joints where the glue has failed, etc...

Would I buy a new vintage style caravan to the 1979 specification - No

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I would love a van to rekindle childhood memories especially from the late seventies through early eighties. Our Mustang Arabian GTS was particularly cosy.

We have often discussed it but now I am unable to complete even basic maintenance tasks myself it's rather a no go.

If we did ever go for it we would go the whole hog with a similarly aged car and use the van for summer weekends. The rest of the year and main holidays we would stick to the luxury and space of a mid range twin axle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts