1998 award northstar shock

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 27, 2006
Visit site
hi there,

theres also a strip running down the middle of the roof and joins the back panel on the award,

How does this come off, Does it snap off or maybe slide off

thanx laura and ian

Nov 27, 2006
Visit site
Hi Iain, Been reading this thread with interest, The area's of damp you have shown on the photo are typical on these model van's,the most likly area's of ingress are the top rail, rear high level brake light, running light's, and awning rail, what you need to do is remove the parts listed,(when you do this it's usually evident where the water is getting in) clean off all the old sealer, resal with IDL99 or similar,and refit,the problem is when you've sealed the damp area's and try to dry the van inside is that there is nowhere for the water to go, so what we tend to do is in a locker as near to the damaged area's as possible is fit a circular press in vent(available from caravan outlets)you need to remove the wallboard with an hole saw of the corrct size then fit the vent, then with all the doors and lockers open run a small fan heater, you need warm moving air. unfortunatly this will not remove any staining that may be on the panels.
the panels in the van arent stained, mm strange.

another thing is that the northstar is all wood coloured panelling and not wallpaper, so maybe this is a good thing as no damp has showed apart from in the wardrobe in the end dressing room where wall meets ceiling,

and its not bad looking.

Any of u good folks any ideas about my soft furnishings, In my eyes their finished, green and black furry fungus on them,

The covers arent removable.

do i cut them off and wash them and sew them up, maybe someone can recommend a type of fabric dye, theyve used before, or bin and seek new.

thanx again,

laura and ian

Nov 27, 2006
Visit site
just been to halfords and bought 5 tubes of the idl 99, so iain,s going to set about it.

hes going to take pictures of the before and after so he can show what a clever boy he,s been "not"

thanx all

laura and ian

Dec 2, 2006
Visit site
hi ian laura we had a 1997 northstar. it had the same damp prob as yours in the wordrobe in top by the roof. it turned out to be the awning rail and the strip that goes across the roof. i did the job myself just pull the beading off the awning rail undo the screws pull the anwing rail off clean off old mastick fill with new mastic put rail back on van job done no more damp time too do both sides off the van afternoon each side hope this helps you cheers paul

Nov 27, 2006
Visit site
thanx paul.

i had someone look at the van yesterday, and the damp is in the wardrobe. Was told its not that bad, and that the mess on the seats is fungus from children dropping food and two dogs sitting on seats when wet,

so ive bought sealant and ive had a look at strip on roof, Does this strip just slip off or does it snap off, thanx very much,

laura and ian

Nov 27, 2006
Visit site
hello all,

would any of u good people know how the roof strip comes off a 98 award northstar. And is this a task that is easy to get off and on, Or should i maybe just seal under the roof strip as its very long.

thanx

laura and ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When you say "roof strip" Laura could you be a little more descriptive? Is it the join between front/back panels to the roof or are you talking about where the awning rail is? The reason I ask is that the awning rail is a proven, problematic piece of caravan design and often the culprit with water ingress. However it's not alone in that department so a better description is needed.

Or did I miss something?

Nov 27, 2006
Visit site
yes sorry,

its the strip

that covers the joint front to back and on the middle of the roof.

ive posted a picture on the threads, if u look youll see it

thanx

laura and ian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts