1998 Omega 2.0i CD

May 27, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone give me the Kerbweight, Torque, bhp of the above car.

I have chance of one.

I tow a 1996 Swift Rapide 440 with a 1994 Mondeo Est 1.8

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The best I can offer is to tell you that the 1997 version of this car had a kerbweight of 1475kg and a towing limit of 1700kg. In any case, I would think it was likely to be a better towcar than your Mondeo. I am a great fan of the Omega, as readers of this forum will know, so my advice, assuming that the Omega is sound in other ways, is to go for it!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had a 1999 2.0 litre Omega for almost two years and in the end I was glad to see the back of it. The car was a beautiful car regarding comfort, ride, fixtures, etc. and behaved impeccably when solo. My main problem was overheating when towing. I spent more time with Green Flag then on the road as a result of overheating. I tried two different garages to see if they could rectify the fault. My brother-in-law is a motor mechanic and I also had it in the College motor vehicle workshop where I worked hoping that they could cure it - all to no avail.

Two car dealers did not want to know it in part exchange as they reckoned that the 2.0 litre 16 valve engine was not reliable after 60000 miles and seeing the tow bar they could tell me why I was part exchanging it. I might have had a rogue car but I was very disappointed with it as a tow car. Prior to this I had two Carlton 2.0 litre 8 valve cars which were brilliant tow vehicles. It was for this reason I went for the Omega.

If you do buy this car I hope you have better luck with it than I had with mine.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had a 1999 2.0 litre Omega for almost two years and in the end I was glad to see the back of it. The car was a beautiful car regarding comfort, ride, fixtures, etc. and behaved impeccably when solo. My main problem was overheating when towing. I spent more time with Green Flag then on the road as a result of overheating. I tried two different garages to see if they could rectify the fault. My brother-in-law is a motor mechanic and I also had it in the College motor vehicle workshop where I worked hoping that they could cure it - all to no avail.

Two car dealers did not want to know it in part exchange as they reckoned that the 2.0 litre 16 valve engine was not reliable after 60000 miles and seeing the tow bar they could tell me why I was part exchanging it. I might have had a rogue car but I was very disappointed with it as a tow car. Prior to this I had two Carlton 2.0 litre 8 valve cars which were brilliant tow vehicles. It was for this reason I went for the Omega.

If you do buy this car I hope you have better luck with it than I had with mine.
My experiences were the other way round. I had an 8 valve 2 litre Carlton that was OK until I hitched the caravan to it.

Then 30 miles out it would start to overheat. We tried everything including fitting a Kenlowe electric fan. Still the problem persisted. Eventually it came to light that the exterior of radiator core was blocked with gunge. This was all cleared away and the problem never recurred.

I had three Omegas over a period of ten years and I REALLY couldn't fault them solo or otherwise. As long as it is coming from a reputable source and has a full service history, I would not hesitate to recommend one to you. Be prepared for quite heavy fuel consumption and tyres cost shedloads to replace. Servicing about average. I paid

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin

Can you tell me if your Omega was a manual or auto g/box
Hi derrick - sorry for the delay in answering as I have been off line for a week or so. My car was a five speed manual model. As I said, perhaps I had a rogue vehicle as I have seen many Omegas towing with no problems. As stated it was a beautiful car for comfort, etc and with all the extras at a small cost compared to a BMW. If the car has a service history and is from a reputable dealer/person I would say give it a go and try your luck towing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts