1st Run Out!

Apr 4, 2019
Visit site
Hello hello.

FINALLY booked our first campsite for 25th July for wife and two kids in our 6 birth tourer.

It's our first time in a touring caravan. We're not going too far, but I guess I'm beginning to think about 'what to bring/prepare' in advance. 

Has anyone any pre-tour checklists that might guide our preparatory thinking?

Many thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The list is a great starting point,

I would suggest using the list as a prompt list, and to create your own. This exercise makes you think about each item and categorising them as "Essentials", "Maybe's" or "Not required". It may also seed ideas for things that are not on the list which you can add to your personal list.

After each outing, revisit your list and revise whats needed or not. After a few items you will begin to find the mix of items that suits your way of caravanning.

If you create your list in a speadsheet, or data base you can add other fields for weight, serial number and where its normally stowed and value. This can help you keep track all up caravan weights and costs.

The list is also a useful inventory document for identity if you should suffer a theft or loss.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would use the CAMH list as a basis for what you need and then adjust this as you go along. We have a comprehensive list on a tablet which is easy to update if needed.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Their list has no regard for payload measurement though! :lol:

Agree but most others don’t either that’s why for years now I’ve made up my own on a spreadsheet we’re weights are included. The spreadsheet then allows quick re adjustment to include or exclude items depending on the type of trip or season.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
CustardAvenger said:

Agree but most others don’t either that’s why for years now I’ve made up my own on a spreadsheet we’re weights are included. The spreadsheet then allows quick re adjustment to include or exclude items depending on the type of trip or season.

Have you weighed your Ant Powder and Bread Bin?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
otherclive said:
CustardAvenger said:

Have you weighed your Ant Powder and Bread Bin?

Ah well when I join the Dark Side and get a motorhome the vastly greater payload will allow me to take all manner of things that I could only dream of in a caravan. :)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a spreadsheet of what's going in and what has come out but what is in their 99% of it will stay in there apart from the awning which we will swap about now and again and the food & drink just gets restocked when we go out .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It can be quite surprise to see how much food is sometimes loaded onto a caravan. We always took bare minimum for journey and first meal on site, then went to local shop to stock up as required. It easy for food and drink to add up to 20kg or more!

Why haul it if you don't have to?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
It can be quite surprise to see how much food is sometimes loaded onto a caravan. We always took bare minimum for journey and first meal on site, then went to local shop to stock up as required. It easy for food and drink to add up to 20kg or more!

That’s been my mantra for years. Each time we pack I say Operation Minimise “ is active. What an utter waste of breath:)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The comments about food above are spot on. One thing they fail to mention though is exactly what constitutes 'food'. There are those who include under this heading nice stuff in bottles or cans, although you can always list these under 'Essentials'
You may find there is a second list prepared by OH which might in some was - be at odds with your particularly in prioritisation. Don't fight it to hard ( or at all) Major conflicts have arisen from such small beginnings.
On a more positive note and depending on age you might consider getting your children to prepare their own lists, explaining the limitation as appropriate. This may give a feeling of being involved with the whole adventure ?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
otherclive said:
Ah well when I join the Dark Side and get a motorhome the vastly greater payload will allow me to take all manner of things that I could only dream of in a caravan. :)

Used to be on the dark side [This is not the caravanner that you are looking for] and spent too much time stowing said enormous payload and stuffing it with tea towels to stop it rattling, every time we went to the shops. :lol:

Mel

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:

I didnt mean take loads off heavy tinned stuff etc , I meant picky bits and snacks and treats for me , i mean the kids :lol: when we go to CLs there is no shops about anyway .

... but yes the bare minimum packed & get the rest locally when there .

Jul 28, 2018
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
If you create your list in a speadsheet, or data base you can add other fields for weight, serial number and where its normally stowed and value. This can help you keep track all up caravan weights and costs.

The list is also a useful inventory document for identity if you should suffer a theft or loss.

This is some good advice. I hadn’t even thought of serial numbers. I’m going to be adding this column to my spreadsheet!

The weights is also a great idea, I don’t have separate sheets for different types of breaks like some, I just cut and paste items in or out depending on which awning we’re taking, or if we’re taking the small oil radiator for the kids’ room etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts