1st time buyer, what are best makes?

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
ok im q first time buter and someone told me swift is a good make?

now im tryin to establish which makes are the ferrari and which are the fiat if you know what i mean.

also for aftercare i presume a uk van would be best but are they better quality?

i have a '01 1.9 tdi skoda octavia estate. Ive been tempted by the bigger vans, 21ft long but not sure if these would be suitable for towing with my car.

appreciate any advice

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Con,

Unfortunately there is no way of categorically pointing you to a 'better ' make of caravan, There are good and bad vans of all makes and models so to some extent it is pot luck if yours will be fault free or have problems.

The limiting factor for towing is the weight of the caravan rather than the length, and from my sources the 2001 Octavia 1.9tdi is limited to a caravan of maximum towed mass of 1300Kg.

Never rely on weight data from this type of forum, always check your vehicles specification with the cars data plate, relevant handbook, or with the manufacture.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
The Octavia is a small car when it comes to towing. You would be looking at low trim medium caravans or higher trim 2 births to make a match for your car. However for caravans that are light enough the Octavia is a good tow car.

As for makes of caravan, I suspect that most people will tell you the make they own. Personally I have owned Compass and Bailey. My current caravan is a Bailey based on it being the best make (based on customer surveys carried out by the Caravan Club, that I could afford. The top UK make is I think Carlight but they cost a fortune. I was warned by more than one independent second hand dealer to avoid Swift (group) caravans as that after a few years these vans cause the dealers more hassle with people making warranty claims for damp (water ingress) than Bailey or the vans made by the group Compass belongs to. I however have no personal experience of this (before Swift owners jump on me).

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Con

We have purchased an Adria Altea, they are a foreign make made in Slovenia and we absolutely love it.

The Adria's are also very lightweight.

Ours is a size berth with an mtplm of 1300 kg so it may be worth taking a look.

Sam

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
The Octavia is a small car when it comes to towing. You would be looking at low trim medium caravans or higher trim 2 births to make a match for your car. However for caravans that are light enough the Octavia is a good tow car.

As for makes of caravan, I suspect that most people will tell you the make they own. Personally I have owned Compass and Bailey. My current caravan is a Bailey based on it being the best make (based on customer surveys carried out by the Caravan Club, that I could afford. The top UK make is I think Carlight but they cost a fortune. I was warned by more than one independent second hand dealer to avoid Swift (group) caravans as that after a few years these vans cause the dealers more hassle with people making warranty claims for damp (water ingress) than Bailey or the vans made by the group Compass belongs to. I however have no personal experience of this (before Swift owners jump on me).
Oh dear here we go again, "the Octavia is a small car for towing". Ours is the Elegance with 140 bhp dsg box 2.0 hp, can pull 1400klg but we limit it ti 1324klg and it tows quite happy at 60 mph and if needed will go well over that if needed, fuel consuption is 28mpg when towing and 40/50 average solo. Had 2.5 auto X-TRAIL and this leaves it standing.

G

Con,

You have to make allowances for the sometimes 'side comments' that appear as members often?? forget what the original question was all about in their desire to 'get one in'. All harmless fun, at least usually.

As mentioned it is impossible to advise on a good or bad caravan. You must decide what type of caravanning is going to be your choice and then look at the options. Do you plan on long tours, or short hops to the nearest site. If the former, then a lighter van will pay dividends, if the latter then a heavy van with all the 'bells and whistles' will be more to your choice. Do you plan on always staying in the UK, or visitng Europe often to get the sun. If the latter then a EU van with the door on the 'wrong side' will be just as convenient, and by the way, as an owner of such a van I can assure you there is little problem here in the UK, unless you meet the jobsworthy who wants all the van doors to be on the same side.

I tend towards the 'Ambre Solaire' type of caravanning. That is head for the sun and shorts and BBQ's are de rigeur. All living is outside. So a van that allows me to do that is my choice and the smell of suntan lotion is always present. Others want the damp UK fields and Neighbours on tap, so a big UK van and awning is their choice.

Once you, and most certainly your family have decided want you really want to do, then look at the magazines and the Web for the manufacturers that may offer models that suit, and then go see them. Take your time because it is an expensive choice.

By the way the Octavia is a tough old car and providing you do not go too heavy in weight, will tow well. Have a look at

http://www.whattowcar.com/
as it will allow you to 'play' your selections.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site

Robert the 01 car is smaller and lighter than your car which must be 04 or later if it has the 140bhp engine. I used to drive an Octavia, I loved it but sadly like many VW group cars it give numerous electrical problems. Truth is it is a car in the focus/golf/astra size range so is small for towing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts