1st time towing,Tyre pressure, mirrors etc.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

this will be my first time towing so any advice welcome. I have a Ford Galaxy could anyone recommend tyre pressures also do I need extended mirrors if so what ones are best, and any other advice, many thanks, Kim.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Kim,

I can't offer any advice regarding the mirrors, others with Galaxies will be best placed on that point, But it will also depend on how old the car is as we are now on the Mk3.

But when towing a substantial trailer liake a caravan tyres should be run at the recommended pressure for the fully loaded car. Details vary depending on the model of car and the size of tyres fitted, so check with you vehicle handbook, and most cars have a label somewhere that also details the recommended tyre pressures for different loads and speeds. Each manufacture can choose where to put this label, sometimes its in the glove box, door jam, under bonnet or in the boot.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Kim, with regard to mirrors, unless your vehicle is wider than the caravan (which is highly unlikely) then by law you must have at least an extension mirror fitted to the drivers side, but preferably two mirrors, one each side .

You must be able to see the rear corners of the caravan in the mirrors.

Best type,,Milenco Aero or Grand Aero

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some other points to consider when towing.

Do not forget that you will not be able to accellerate as quickly as when solo.

When overtaking remember you have a much longer vehicle so do not pull in until you are absolutely certain that you have passed the other vehicle.(many HGV drivers will flash their lights when your caravan is clear, be courteous to them too and afford the same help if passed by a HGV or coach)

IF having to refuel whilst towing, choose the service station with care, especially the exit from the pumps.

In towns and narrower roads, remember that the caravan wil turn in a tighter curve than the car, which requires extra care when negotiating left and right turns, and on roundabouts.

Leave plenty of space between you and the vehicle in front, you now have an extra heavy vehicle to stop!!!

Take extra care on long downhill roads, keep speed down and constant to avoid snaking or jacknifing.

G

First time towing.

Mirrors. We use the ones that have the rubber straps around the mirrors. Clamping to the mirror edge in the way the Milenco ones do can lead to a lot of damage if the mirror gets swiped.

Towing prssure for the vans tyres should be in the hand book and car tyres as per manual when loaded.

G

ps.

Have you a nose weight guage and have you checked out how to load the caravan correctly?

1st rule do not let wife and kids throw everything in the van. You need to sort out where the gear goes so that the nose weight is correct and the van is not overloaded before you get on the road.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone,

with regards to loading the Caravan I have not yet got nose weight gauge, should I load it evenly throughout or more weight over the axle, thanks Kim.

G

Get a nose weight gauge before you go on the road !!!!!!!!

Find out the nose weight for you car and caravan and you should not exceed the cars nose weight guide. Keep weight low down and around the axle.

Check out the basic advice here and use it beore you start towing - http://www.practicalcaravan.co.uk/beginners/index.html

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Get a nose weight gauge before you go on the road !!!!!!!!

Find out the nose weight for you car and caravan and you should not exceed the cars nose weight guide. Keep weight low down and around the axle.

Check out the basic advice here and use it beore you start towing - http://www.practicalcaravan.co.uk/beginners/index.html
thanks for that, what is the best nose weght gauge? Kim.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Kim

I agree with euro re the mirrors, you can use a stick and bathroom scales if you like for the nose weight, just as accurate as the spring operated cheap nose gauges.

I always pump the car tyres up to the max load rating while towing. It does give a hard ride when solo, but i put up with it.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Kim

I agree with euro re the mirrors, you can use a stick and bathroom scales if you like for the nose weight, just as accurate as the spring operated cheap nose gauges.

I always pump the car tyres up to the max load rating while towing. It does give a hard ride when solo, but i put up with it.
On this subject, should the tyre pressures be taken when the vehicle is hitched up? My thoughts are that the tyre pressure will naturally increase when the tyre is subjected to the additional weight. The reason for mentioning this is that if the tyres are inflated to max load pressures and then the van is hitched, you could be running with tyres running at excessive pressure, increasing your chances of a blow-out. Thoughts anyone?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts