1st TIMERS TO SPAIN & FRANCE

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

We would like to take a ferry to Spain and then travel across the Pyrenees then catch the ferry home from France or vice-versa.

Can anyone give any advice on Ferries & Good Sites etc?

We have done driving and biking holidays in France before, but never in Spain & never towing (we're new to the caravanning game).

Does the Ferry to Spain really cost a fortune, as we've been lead to believe?

I know everyone has their own likes & dislikes, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Vicky

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Vicky,

We've made the Plymouth - Santander ferry crossing many times with Brittany Ferries. Journey time is around 28 hours and you will need a cabin.

They are probably my favourite ferry operator - friendly, helpful staff - great waiter service restaurant - and it feels like you are on vacation.

However, the crossing does go through the Bay of Biscay and this can be entertaining - we had a crossing in October with a Force 10 Storm and spent an extra day just bobbing up and down.

But other crossings in the Summer months have just been like a mirror - don't forget sun block if you are on deck, even if just to watch the arrival in Santander.

I guess a return from Plymouth - Santander - Caen - Portsmouth will cost around

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi Vicky,

We've made the Plymouth - Santander ferry crossing many times with Brittany Ferries. Journey time is around 28 hours and you will need a cabin.

They are probably my favourite ferry operator - friendly, helpful staff - great waiter service restaurant - and it feels like you are on vacation.

However, the crossing does go through the Bay of Biscay and this can be entertaining - we had a crossing in October with a Force 10 Storm and spent an extra day just bobbing up and down.

But other crossings in the Summer months have just been like a mirror - don't forget sun block if you are on deck, even if just to watch the arrival in Santander.

I guess a return from Plymouth - Santander - Caen - Portsmouth will cost around

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Vicky

Must be a while since Rob did the crossing, since mid 2004 the only Brittany Ferry ship to do this route is the Pont Aven. It is more like a cruise liner than a ferry and now completes the journey in 20.5 hours, 2 sailings per week.

A definate must if you are doing that crossing, the alternatine Portmouth Bilbao is a P&O route and the crossing time is much longer and not as nice a ship.

Get saving though this year would have cost

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Graham,

Right in one, our last crossing to Santander was 2002 - since then we've used the shorter Brittany Ferries crossing to Normandy and driven down.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi vicky

we used the p&o pride if bilbao earlyer this year we would never do it again the cabin is more of a torture chamber than a cabin, thin matress one thin pillow air con that didn't work loads of pepole on a

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts