1st Trip , Rookie errors, comedy moments

May 15, 2023
Visit site
We have just completed our first outing, around 1000mile round trip from Cheshire to the Vendée via Portsmouth. With 6 up in the car pulling our new (to us) first caravan, a Stirling Eccles Sport 586, the cars data tells us that we averaged 50MPH and got 27MPG , which given its 90% motorways/ dual carriageways I was quite pleased with.

First rookie error was arriving at the site where we had a fully serviced pitch, then positioning the van so we made the best use of sun & shade, without any regard to where the services were situated! Fortunately the electric hook up reached, however our water hose was 7m short as was the grey waste piping, had we turned the van 90° everything would have reached, unfortunately by the time I realised this , the awning and gazebo was up other things were unpacked , it was a boiling day late in the afternoon, I’d have been really unpopular had I suggested the move, especially as we could simply set the aqua roll and grey waste tank up.

Second error and comedy moment, the following day I drove to the nearest Brico store to get a longer water hose to enable us to then use the float valve in the Aqua roll, most of the hoses in the Brico were over 20M long, there was one that was just 10M and at only €10, I thought that together with a pipe connector that would do the job. Got it back to site, plumbed it all in, turned the water on……Aqua roll was not filling up :confused_old: however the entire length of the new pipe was covered in water droplets? It then dawned on me, I had bought a porous water pipe, designed to sit under hedges or along borders to provide water, Doh! .........2nd trip to the Brico return with the right hose and job sorted 😊

3rd error, "gas and regulators”. Probably like a lot of you, we’d rather cook outside , we bought a Campingaz Party Grill 600. My belt and braces approach for the gas; I had 2 full 6kg bottles of Calor, and a new full 907 cylinder of Campingaz to use as an overseas emergency supply. I’d bought a tail for the Campingaz so that it can be used for the van supply, a standalone Campingaz regulator and an external gas socket to enable the BBQ to run off the van Calor, unfortunately I didn’t have time to fit it the external socket prior to our trip…setting the BBQ up I pulled the “spare” Calor cylinder out to use for the BBQ, of course what I didn’t have was a standalone propane regulator ☹, no problem I thought , as I seen all sorts of gas fitting at the Brico when I bought the hose. So back to the Brico….Now in the UK we use bullnose POL fittings for Propane, in France they don’t! really annoying as I have several of these fitting in the UK! So we had to use the Campingaz 907 to fuel the BBQ, annoying as the 907 refill was £48, 4x the cost of Calor Propane! Over the 2 weeks we emptied the 907 cylinder, having use almost zero Calor! On a positive note the refill of the 907 was only €27 at the Super U Brico in France, half the price of the UK, I also got a couple of 901 cylinders exchanged as we use for some old lamps, again about half the UK cost.

One thing that I was really pleased with was the Kampa Air 390 pro awning. Because of the really wet weather we had in the UK prior to us going away, we didn’t get a chance to check it out or have a trial setup, I went armed with stuff to repair the bladders, fortunately not required. What a simple piece of kit the 390 awning is to set up 😊 first effort we had the thing up in about 10 mins, my daughter did most of the work, taking it down was probably a similar amount of time, I did clean and dry lubricate the awning channel, we had an awning pully that made light work of everything.

We had a great time ,every day is a school day we learned a lot from our first trip and no doubt will keep on learning, looking forward to the next trip.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
A brilliant write up Dave.
It may seem like a list of errors but, nothing you didn't overcome. I love the porous hose bit.
Gas can be problematic though. I remember on our first trip to France back in the 1980's trying to get a Calor Gas bottle exchanged. I learnt very quickly how final a French non could be, there was no discussion about alternatives or other options to get us out of trouble, just a simple but emphatic Non!
I've gone down the SafeFill route now and bought a selection of refill adapters for use on the continent.
I have had three Kampa air awnings over the years and now have two, an all-season which is like a brick outhouse but ridiculously heavy and a much lighter Fiesta with sun-canopy and annexe. I've never had any problems with leaking valves or burst bladders with any of them.
The simple errors you make only become a problem if you don't learn from them.
We're off to Normandy shortly and can't wait.
We're planning to return to the Vendee next year, for the first time with the caravan. We've spent many brilliant camping and holiday-home holidays there over the years.
Where did you stay and would you recommend it?

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Got it back to site, plumbed it all in, turned the water on……Aqua roll was not filling up :confused_old: however the entire length of the new pipe was covered in water droplets? It then dawned on me, I had bought a porous water pipe, designed to sit under hedges or along borders to provide water, Doh! .........2nd trip to the Brico return with the right hose and job sorted 😊
Brilliant!!!!

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
On thing to do before next trip if you've not done it is practice wheel replacement. Know how to jack up van and do it. Loosen at less one wheel nut. Remove spare if under van, good chance to check and it in process.

Murphy says your first puncture will be in rain so don't forget ground sheet and raincoat.

Reactions: Ukdave2002
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On thing to do before next trip if you've not done it is practice wheel replacement. Know how to jack up van and do it. Loosen at less one wheel nut. Remove spare if under van, good chance to check and it in process.

Murphy says your first puncture will be in rain so don't forget ground sheet and raincoat.
We have breakdown service to do all that for us. (y) :)

Reactions: Dustydog
May 15, 2023
Visit site

Agreed, one of the first jobs I did when we acquired the van a couple of months ago , was to fit Kojack jacking points, (literality a 2 min job to fit), and ensure that the (poorly designed IMHO) Alko spare wheel carrier would function without to much of a fight if required, then removed all 3 wheels and took them to our local tyre shop to have the tyres replaced.

A couple of additional piece of kit that resides in the front locker that aid /speed up wheel changes, are a wheel alignment pin (eases the refitting of a wheel), and a kneeling matt, makes many jobs more comfortable for my aging knee's!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Never bought a porous pipe, but have made some errors at that level. We just look back at some and laugh, the best laugh was the time having hitched up I took a walk round the car to check everything and then got into the back seat. Two ladies walking past came up with "should have gone to spec savers". Never done it again.

• Haha
Reactions: GaryB
May 15, 2023
Visit site
Where did you stay and would you recommend it?
We were on the coast about halfway between St Gilles and St Jean de Mont, at this site:

Yes I would recommend it. Its a very clean, quiet medium sized site, with large fully serviced pitches, beach about a 5 min walk, pool and playground for the kids, small shop/ take away , bar and restaurant, Super U about 10min walk, entertainment mediocre, the kids one was better. I have stayed on sites with more activities on, depends what you want!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We were on the coast about halfway between St Gilles and St Jean de Mont, at this site:

Yes I would recommend it. Its a very clean, quiet medium sized site, with large fully serviced pitches, beach about a 5 min walk, pool and playground for the kids, small shop/ take away , bar and restaurant, Super U about 10min walk, entertainment mediocre, the kids one was better. I have stayed on sites with more activities on, depends what you want!
That’s one of our favourite areas. It was the first place we visited when we ventured abroad. Our site was near St Hilaire de Riez. On a later trip we took our daughter and grandson. Daughter tended to spend time sunbathing snd swimming in the campsite. One day talking to our neighbours they said “ how nice of you to bring the Nanny on holiday and for giving her free time to relax”.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site

Yes, I have visited that area many times and had fabulous holidays at St. Jean de Mont, St. Hilaire de Riez and Bretignolles sur Mer. I will check your site out.
Having said that I have a surprising update on my holiday in Normandy mentioned in my post above.
In 2017 my wife and I stayed at Camping Le Cormoran at Ravenoville Plage in Normandy where we had a great time as it’s right on Utah Beach with all the D-Day history in the area to explore. So, I decided to return and booked 23 nights there. Unfortunately on arrival at the site, they had no record of my booking. This is why as I write this I am staying at Camping Le Cormoran at Ars de Re on the Ile de Re in Nouvelle Aquitaine near La Rochelle, which is actually 308 miles and nearly seven hours further away from where I thought I’d booked.
But, what a fantastic mistake I’ve made. The site itself and the Ile de Re is simply delightful and we couldn’t be happier.
My wife also let it slip on our way down here that she wasn’t overly thrilled at the prospect of visiting all the concrete emplacements and artillery batteries that I’d planned to revisit in Normandy and had really wanted to go back to the Vendee.
So, my monumental mistake has turned out to be a monumental success and I’ve gone one full Department further down than the Vendee. 😊👍
How does this rank on the Woosie scale?

Attachments

• 44BEA58D-9E03-4875-8D41-8E69471403FC.jpeg
    44BEA58D-9E03-4875-8D41-8E69471403FC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Well, further to my last post Dave,I have a very surprising update an

Yes, I have visited that area many times and had fabulous holidays at St. Jean de Mont, St. Hilaire de Riez and Bretignolles sur Mer. I will check your site out.
Having said that I have a surprising update on my holiday in Normandy mentioned in my post above.
In 2017 my wife and I stayed at Camping Le Cormoran at Ravenoville Plage in Normandy where we had a great time as it’s right on Utah Beach with all the D-Day history in the area to explore. So, I decided to return and booked 23 nights there. Unfortunately on arrival at the site, they had no record of my booking. This is why as I write this I am staying at Camping Le Cormoran at Ars de Re on the Ile de Re in Nouvelle Aquitaine near La Rochelle, which is actually 308 miles and nearly seven hours further away from where I thought I’d booked.
But, what a fantastic mistake I’ve made. The site itself and the Ile de Re is simply delightful and we couldn’t be happier.
My wife also let it slip on our way down here that she wasn’t overly thrilled at the prospect of visiting all the concrete emplacements and artillery batteries that I’d planned to revisit in Normandy and had really wanted to go back to the Vendee.
So, my monumental mistake has turned out to be a monumental success and I’ve gone one full Department further down than the Vendee. 😊👍
How does this rank on the Woosie scale?
Fantastically over done, that certainly Merits joining the Woosies.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi Dave.
You mentioned the site has fully serviced pitches. Does each pitch have EHU, water and grey waste water drainage?
The site were on doesn’t have drainage unlike the one I thought I’d booked in Normandy which meant I had to go and buy a large bucket as I hadn’t packed my Wastemaster.

TRENDING THREADS