2 questions

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi
Has anybody ever used a Citroen C3 Picasso to tow a caravan with? The towing weight is 1200kg, if it is a suitable vehicle which lightweight caravan do you recomend? Budget is limited to around £2500 for a caravan.

many thanks

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Brian. You need to look at the kerbweight of your Picasso as well as the towing weight. The major clubs suggest that beginners tow with up to 85% of the car kerbweight. If you are confident at towing then you can tow up to 100% of the kerbweight. (there is a rolling debate on here about the legitimacy of the 85% advice; make what you will of it; I found it helpful as a beginner. But you can't ignore the 100% of the kerbweight ceiling) Post your caravan requirements in Buyers Guide, such as what berth for more advice. mel

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Mel said:
Hi Brian. You need to look at the kerbweight of your Picasso as well as the towing weight. The major clubs suggest that beginners tow with up to 85% of the car kerbweight. If you are confident at towing then you can tow up to 100% of the kerbweight. (there is a rolling debate on here about the legitimacy of the 85% advice; make what you will of it; I found it helpful as a beginner. But you can't ignore the 100% of the kerbweight ceiling) Post your caravan requirements in Buyers Guide, such as what berth for more advice. mel
Just for the record and not that I'm advocating it, but there is no 100% ceiling, either.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mel said:

Hello Mel, I can absolutely confirm that there is NO legal requirement to the 85% towing ratio as no UK statute referes to it. However it can still be a starting point on which to begin to assess how sensible an outfit can be.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
brian t said:
Hi
Has anybody ever used a Citroen C3 Picasso to tow a caravan with? The towing weight is 1200kg, if it is a suitable vehicle which lightweight caravan do you recomend? Budget is limited to around £2500 for a caravan.

many thanks
hi, you didn't say which engine your picasso has !!! I have towed with a Xsara fitted with the 2.0 hdi engine it was a very capable tow car up to the 1200kg limit (ie 1175kg van) but would think twice about towing that sort of weight with a 1.4 petrol. on the second point recommendations regarding types of van can be very circumspect as it all depends on your requirements for such things as no of berths, layout, ect best advice I could give would be to look around the dealers at thier vans to find one that suits, bearing in mind the MTPLM limit and then with that model in view look around for the best one you can find. for the price you want to pay.
hope this helps.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your replies.

The picasso is a 1.6 vti 16v diesel with a kerbweight of 1308kg
the caravan we have at the minute is a craftsman CAP 756kg and MAW 910kg
We are looking to get a lighter van as my wife uses it on her own to go to dog shows!

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
brian t said:
Hi, thanks for your replies.

The picasso is a 1.6 vti 16v diesel with a kerbweight of 1308kg
the caravan we have at the minute is a craftsman CAP 756kg and MAW 910kg
We are looking to get a lighter van as my wife uses it on her own to go to dog shows!
and how does it tow the 910kg if you don't mind me asking!! thing is if it tows that weight really well a odd couple of 100kg more isn't going to kill it. there are some really nice vans out there both 2and 4 berth in the 1000kg to 1100kg range however from your comment about wanting a lighter van then your down to a freedom or trailer tent.

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
- Or a Gobur Carousel folding caravan, even. My 10/2T has a MTPLM of 950kg (MiRO 752kg). Because it's folded down to travel you haven't got the same amount of wind resistance as a full sized 'van. My Skoda pulls it along without any complaints.

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes, price is a disadvantage when looking at Goburs, they're not cheap, but they are small and beautifully formed, wear very well and are made in England! My 'van is 16 years old and looks as good as new. I have had such good customer service from the guys up in Norfolk, too. There's another place that sells 'pre-owned' Goburs down in Romsey - can't remember what they're called now, but they advertise every month in the C&CC Club magazine. I don't know whether they're sold any cheaper there?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts