2 way radios (walkie talkies)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With current events in Portugal it has brought home once again that our children are never safe! I have been thinking for a long time about getting a 2 way radio for my daughter (age 8) when she is playing around the camp site. Has anybody purchased one? What should I be looking for? which are the best or maybe easily replaced after being dropped while she is playing?!

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Martin

The problem with this type of radion is the range is restricted. However they are great for around site.

I give the kids a set of BT Freeway radios which have fm radio in them and are better than most for range and clarity. Then to make sure they can hear me I use a Wintec A80. This is an expensive radio at about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin,

Just to gently correct you - "our children are never safe" is surely wrong. I guess that they are safe 99.999% of the time. Sometimes they might be vulnerable, but no dodgy people are around to take advantage of the situation. And at other times when they are totally safe, a dodgy person could be close but unable to do anything.

The obvious problem is when someone sees an opportunity in a vulnerable child. That is extremely rare, but when it happens the consequences can be horrendous.

Surely in reality my daughters are more likely to die in a car crash in the next week than get harmed by a stranger in the next 5 years. Just a guess - it really is unlikely. And I don't believe in fate or bad luck, so please no-one tell me that I will cause them to be in a car crash this week!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I also meant to say that we use walkie talkies on campsites. They are also very useful if travelling with another vehicle. We don't really see them as safety items, more as toys. In the same way that whilst our offspring have mobiles they would be pretty useless in a dangerous situation - the key is not to get into such a situation in the first place.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We have them. The lad uses them more as a toy than a tool, but it does help keep tabs on him. The downside is that there are a limited number of channels, so on a big site we have ended talking to strangers.

Dec 10, 2005
Visit site
We've had a set of Binatone walkie talkies for a little over a year now.

We use them for leveling the van as well as the kids having them if they are playing. Our w/t's have a hands free option , so I hook up a small pc mic to them at night time so we can hear them if they wake up and we are in the awning, or outside.

Very handy bits of kit.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Yes these are really handy. When we're parking up SWMBO is able to direct me-otherwise she has an incredible talent for standing exaclty where I can't see her gestures!

On site, our daughter takes one, in case she goes to a different part of the site, or wants to visit friends-saves a lot of trailing about. It does contribute to safety as we can pro actively check on daughters arrival/location, which is better than not being able to do so.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes these are really handy. When we're parking up SWMBO is able to direct me-otherwise she has an incredible talent for standing exaclty where I can't see her gestures!

On site, our daughter takes one, in case she goes to a different part of the site, or wants to visit friends-saves a lot of trailing about. It does contribute to safety as we can pro actively check on daughters arrival/location, which is better than not being able to do so.
Thanks Chris

This is exectly what I was thinking for my dusghter when she goes to another friends caravan or playing at the other end of the site which all adds up to safety as you say (I think Mike P may of taken what I said a little bit too literally)

Like your advice for using the radio to get directions when reversing as my wife also has that incredible knack

Many thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts