2001 Swift Conqueror - no water! Please help!

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
Hi - I am a complete Novice to how caravans work, but just been away in our 2001 Swift Conqueror and we have no water running in the taps. On the control panel above the door we have an internal/external switch where we can operate the water directly from the Aqua roll or from the onboard tank. We have a Truma water heater so I am assuming this is the "internal" water tank.
We have only ever used the internal system and never had a problem before. There is a switch by the fuse boxes which pulls the water in from the Aqua roll which is working fine (we can hear it doing this and the water indicator on the control panel is showing the water tank as full) However when we turn on the taps there is nothing!
I know this sounds like a stupid question, but we are unable to find anywhere what pulls the water from the Truma tank to the taps. We cant find an internal pump anywhere and there seems to be nothing on the internet that can enlighten us? We tried putting on a newly charged battery and checked the fuses. When we put the control switch over to External we get water but the pressure is practically non existant.
Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated as going away again this weekend and would love to have the water working again.
TIA!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Blackdogtan,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not familiar in detail with all caravans so precisely which model do you have? I have done a quick search but I can only find two pages (so far)
Here and and here do have an internal tanks, most other adverts don't mention it, but that doesn't mean they don't have internal tanks.

If you have an internal tank it will be a plastic tank usually fitted under one of the beds, and it will have n onboard pump fitted to the blue pipework.

The Truma water heater is a separate appliance which uses its the cold water pumped supply to push hot water out, so it does not have a separate pump.

The external pump is so you can fill the internal tank.

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
Hello Blackdogtan,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not familiar in detail with all caravans so precisely which model do you have? I have done a quick search but I can only find two pages (so far)
Here and and here do have an internal tanks, most other adverts don't mention it, but that doesn't mean they don't have internal tanks.

If you have an internal tank it will be a plastic tank usually fitted under one of the beds, and it will have n onboard pump fitted to the blue pipework.

The Truma water heater is a separate appliance which uses its the cold water pumped supply to push hot water out, so it does not have a separate pump.

The external pump is so you can fill the internal tank.
Hiya - thank you for taking the time to reply. Our caravan is a 2001 Swift Conqueror 580 SL. Very old but still in good nick.
The only tank under the benches is this Truma Ultrastore (stock pic below). We always thought this was the internal water system lol.
Unless the internal tank is under the caravan - there is definitely no other tank inside.

Attachments

• IMG_0438.png
    IMG_0438.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Conqueror has never had an internal or onboard tank. The pictures shows the hot water boiler. Can we assume that the aquaroll is full of water and that the external pump into the aquaroll is working? You can hear it hum when the impeller is turning which happens when a tap is opened. To get the system working you need to prime it.

First make sure that the drain valve for the boiler is closed. This is generally a small flat yellow lever type switch near the boiler.. Make sure it is closed. Next open all the taps in the caravan making sure that the water is going to drain away. Then switch on the pump. After a few minutes you shoudl hear some gurgling. This is the hot water boiler filling up with water and cab take several minutes. Once it is full, water should start flowing from the taps.

Hope this helps.

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
The Conqueror has never had an internal or onboard tank. The pictures shows the hot water boiler. Can we assume that the aquaroll is full of water and that the external pump into the aquaroll is working? You can hear it hum when the impeller is turning which happens when a tap is opened. To get the system working you need to prime it.

First make sure that the drain valve for the boiler is closed. This is generally a small flat yellow lever type switch near the boiler.. Make sure it is closed. Next open all the taps in the caravan making sure that the water is going to drain away. Then switch on the pump. After a few minutes you shoudl hear some gurgling. This is the hot water boiler filling up with water and cab take several minutes. Once it is full, water should start flowing from the taps.

Hope this helps.
Hiya - thank you for replying. Yes the pump to the Aquaroll is working and when i check the water level indicator its showing tank full. There is a switch on the control panel which gives the option of internal pump or external pump. We have always used the internal pump selection when it is set to this. There is nothing coming out of the taps at all. I have checked the lever as you suggested, and it is in the correct position. If we select external pump all it does is draw cold water directly from the Aqua roll to the taps. The fact that this switch says internal/external pump indicates to us that there must be an internal pump somewhere within the caravan? Or am I completely wrong?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hiya - thank you for replying. Yes the pump to the Aquaroll is working and when i check the water level indicator its showing tank full. There is a switch on the control panel which gives the option of internal pump or external pump. We have always used the internal pump selection when it is set to this. There is nothing coming out of the taps at all. I have checked the lever as you suggested, and it is in the correct position. If we select external pump all it does is draw cold water directly from the Aqua roll to the taps. The fact that this switch says internal/external pump indicates to us that there must be an internal pump somewhere within the caravan? Or am I completely wrong?
I need to apologise as some of the 2001 Conquerors did have an onboard tank. My mistake. As per our system generally to fill the onboard tank you need to switch to external. Once the tank is full you switch to internal and the onboard tank supplies water to the taps.

Our Lunar had the onboard tank at the front with one pressure switch and I think the issue was a blocked valve preventing the water from flowing to the taps. It was a simple matter of removing the valve and cleaning it for the system to work again. The valve is in a short tube with push fit connectors either end such as one of these. https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/w...rsion/water-supply-fittings/non-return-valves

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
I need to apologise as some of the 2001 Conquerors did have an onboard tank. My mistake. As per our system generally to fill the onboard tank you need to switch to external. Once the tank is full you switch to internal and the onboard tank supplies water to the taps.

Our Lunar had the onboard tank at the front with one pressure switch and I think the issue was a blocked valve preventing the water from flowing to the taps. It was a simple matter of removing the valve and cleaning it for the system to work again. The valve is in a short tube with push fit connectors either end such as one of these. https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/w...rsion/water-supply-fittings/non-return-valves
Aah so its the pressure switch that makes the water flow! Now to locate that and check it! Many thanks as I think you have solved our mystery lol!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi again,

As we can't conclusively say whether you do or don't have an inboard tank, we do need to explain that often caravan manufacturers will fit the same generic control panels that have multiple switches to models where some features, for example inboard water tanks, where they are an option on some models of range but not necessarily on your model.

To discover if you do have an inboard tank, follow the blue cold water pipes, as that is pipe work the tank will be connected to.

But regardless of whether you have an inboard tank or not, you should be able to use the external pump to deliver water to the shower and taps. you tell us the flow you are getting is very low, so let's consider that to begin with.

In your case the pump seems to be controlled by a pressure switch. It will most likely be an adjustable Whale pressure switch.
1689759213106.png

The ability of the pump to raise enough pressure to reach the Pressure Switch turn off threshold is affected by the voltage sent to the pump. When you use a 12V system in a caravan, the voltage can vary as the battery discharges or is charged, so some times it is necessary to readjust the pressure switch to accommodate the changes in battery voltage. You can find pressure setting instructions on the Whale website:- here

If the pressure switches' turn off threshold is set too low that would exhibit as poor flow and of course low pressure, but anything in the pipe work that adds undue restrictions will also reduce the water flow.

Caravans around the turn of the century were often fitted with inline water filters. If your caravan has one it may be well passed its replacement date and as such restricting water flow. Its now a common consensus that inline water filters are not really necessary as most piped water supplies available to caravanners (certainly within the UK and the EU) are safe. Many caravanners either remove or bypass the filters and there aren't mass reports of caravanners falling ill.

If your 2001 caravan has the original Carver Crystal filter with the tapered cylindrical filter with the clear top, remove the cartridge , and carefully remove the white filter body from the clear lid, and just refit the lid to the caravan. Be careful not to over tighten the lid as it should finish with the handle positioned vertically.

Most external pumps are of the submersible type that are dropped into water barrels. All these pumps rely on water passing through the pump to keep it cool when running. If the water flow is stopped because the taps have been turned off or some other blockage but the pump is still running, then the pump will not be cooled enough, and as the heat from the motor builds up it may get hot enough the soften and distort the plastic moulding the pump is made of enough to allow water to get through the housing seals and into the motor itself. This is obviously not a good thing and the motor will start to malfunction, and even stop well before it should wear out. The same happens but much much quicker if the barrel empties and there is no water to act as coolant around the pump. So effective pump control such as setting the pressure switch correctly and ensuring the water barrel is not allowed to run dry is very important.

If the pump is already damaged, it may not be able to pump as effectively as it should. This will usually exhibit as reduced flow and pressure and it may be noisier than usual. It might be worth changing the pump.

Its quite a good idea to carry a spare pump, just in case yours fails whilst on holiday, it save a lot of time and trouble.

Sorry this has been so long.

Reactions: Blackdogtan
Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
Hi again,

As we can't conclusively say whether you do or don't have an inboard tank, we do need to explain that often caravan manufacturers will fit the same generic control panels that have multiple switches to models where some features, for example inboard water tanks, where they are an option on some models of range but not necessarily on your model.

To discover if you do have an inboard tank, follow the blue cold water pipes, as that is pipe work the tank will be connected to.

But regardless of whether you have an inboard tank or not, you should be able to use the external pump to deliver water to the shower and taps. you tell us the flow you are getting is very low, so let's consider that to begin with.

In your case the pump seems to be controlled by a pressure switch. It will most likely be an adjustable Whale pressure switch.
View attachment 5084

The ability of the pump to raise enough pressure to reach the Pressure Switch turn off threshold is affected by the voltage sent to the pump. When you use a 12V system in a caravan, the voltage can vary as the battery discharges or is charged, so some times it is necessary to readjust the pressure switch to accommodate the changes in battery voltage. You can find pressure setting instructions on the Whale website:- here

If the pressure switches' turn off threshold is set too low that would exhibit as poor flow and of course low pressure, but anything in the pipe work that adds undue restrictions will also reduce the water flow.

Caravans around the turn of the century were often fitted with inline water filters. If your caravan has one it may be well passed its replacement date and as such restricting water flow. Its now a common consensus that inline water filters are not really necessary as most piped water supplies available to caravanners (certainly within the UK and the EU) are safe. Many caravanners either remove or bypass the filters and there aren't mass reports of caravanners falling ill.

If your 2001 caravan has the original Carver Crystal filter with the tapered cylindrical filter with the clear top, remove the cartridge , and carefully remove the white filter body from the clear lid, and just refit the lid to the caravan. Be careful not to over tighten the lid as it should finish with the handle positioned vertically.

Most external pumps are of the submersible type that are dropped into water barrels. All these pumps rely on water passing through the pump to keep it cool when running. If the water flow is stopped because the taps have been turned off or some other blockage but the pump is still running, then the pump will not be cooled enough, and as the heat from the motor builds up it may get hot enough the soften and distort the plastic moulding the pump is made of enough to allow water to get through the housing seals and into the motor itself. This is obviously not a good thing and the motor will start to malfunction, and even stop well before it should wear out. The same happens but much much quicker if the barrel empties and there is no water to act as coolant around the pump. So effective pump control such as setting the pressure switch correctly and ensuring the water barrel is not allowed to run dry is very important.

If the pump is already damaged, it may not be able to pump as effectively as it should. This will usually exhibit as reduced flow and pressure and it may be noisier than usual. It might be worth changing the pump.

Its quite a good idea to carry a spare pump, just in case yours fails whilst on holiday, it save a lot of time and trouble.

Sorry this has been so long.
You have been so very helpful- thank you. Will have a look for this pressure switch and check everything as you suggest!
Will let you know the outcome!
Thank you again!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You have been so very helpful- thank you. Will have a look for this pressure switch and check everything as you suggest!
Will let you know the outcome!
Thank you again!
If your caravan is the twin axle then it should have an onboard tank. If I remember correctly the switches for the onboard tank to drain etc were accessed from underneath the front offside bunk. Not to be confused with the yellow lever for the Truma boiler.

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
If your caravan is the twin axle then it should have an onboard tank. If I remember correctly the switches for the onboard tank to drain etc were accessed from underneath the front offside bunk. Not to be confused with the yellow lever for the Truma boiler.
Yes it is a twin axle. Its a L-shaped front seat layout. Deffo cant see any onboard tank other than the Truma Ultrastore.
Going to have a good look after work and if we get stuck I will take some photos to post!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes it is a twin axle. Its a L-shaped front seat layout. Deffo cant see any onboard tank other than the Truma Ultrastore.
Going to have a good look after work and if we get stuck I will take some photos to post!
We had the Lunar 640 with same layout and the onboard tank was on the nearside under the front bunk, but it was underslung. It was situated near the door end of the front bunk.

The system definitely only had the one pressure switch. You can take the pressure switch apart to clean it or simple replace it however try and do this as a last resort because sometimes to reset the pressure switch can be a real pain in the rear.

I am going back nearly 20 years so may get it wrong. From the water inlet area the pipe had a T piece for water to go directly to the taps and another for water to go to the underslung tank. The pipe to the underslung tank had a non return valve. I am fairly sure that the one coming back from the tank also had a non return valve and it was this valve that jammed due to probably a small speck of sand. The valve would not open to allow water to pass through.

Not very helpful, but any port in a storm. LOL!

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
So - went in last night and had a GOOD look and there was a cover which when unscrewed revealed the cover for a water tank (must be housed underneath the caravan!) in this tank was a Whale onboard pump which was dead as a dodo!!!) thank the Lord for Amazon Prime as one has bern delivered today which my husband will fit tonight. Please keep everything crossed that this fixes the problem.
A huge thanks to all who replied as it was your help that encouraged us to look further and find it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts