2005 Elddis Crusader & Powrtouch

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
Simple question, fit in front or behind of axles, our local dealer fits the trauma units in front of the front axle, is this to facilitate the spare wheel carrier at the rear axle?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Fit in front of the axle. This is to afford some protection from road spray and dirt build up on the rollers.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry,to add,fit in front if single axle, behind if twin axle,,,makes turning easier by raising jockey wheel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian

We had our Powertouch fitted in front on our twin axle,in order to avoid moving spare wheel out of the carrier,does the job very well.

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
Damian have you fitted to a rear axle on an Elddis Crusader (twin axle) were there any issues. Behind rear alxe would have been my slant but with the local elddis dealer fitting in front of twin axles it sort of threw me a little.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Brian-Bear,

I have had Truma motor movers fitted to two twin axle Bailey Senators and my present new Swift Conquerer 655.My movers were new on my first Senator and are now fitted to my new Swift. The Baileys came with a spare wheel carrier and spare wheel, however both Baileys had a dedicated storage place for a spare wheel in the front locker. On both Baileys the spare wheel carrier was removed and the spare wheel fitted in the front locker.The mover was then fitted behind the rear wheels.

The Swift has no storage in the front locker for a spare wheel due to the positioning of the gas bottles. The movers have been fitted in front of the axles. I cannot tell any difference in manouvaring the caravan. It has made very little difference to the nose weight, increased by about 4kgs.

I have noticed when winter caravanning that the movers remain much cleaner when towing due to lack of wheel spray.

Hamer

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brian, I am the fitter for Powrtouch in my area, and the siting of the mover on twin axle vans is really down to the customer and what he wants.

Fitting in front does give some protection from road dirt and spray, but twin axle vans being that much more difficult to turn without overly scuffing the tyres, it is better to fit behind the axles.

It is easier and you have more room to play with, to raise the jockey wheel to remove some weight from the front axle.

If fitted in front, you have very little room to drop the hitch low to remove weight from the rear axle.

Removing weight not only makes turning easier and a smaller turn circle, but relieves some strain from the motors.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts