2006 Swift Challenger: Damp

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the update. At least you are wiser now and will take each step carefully. Damp testing with the meter is a science . Basically work methodically around the bottom sides and tops of every window.Carefully lift the rubber seal which touches the wall board and insert the prongs for a reading . This hides signs of pin prick holes and is an accurate starting point for water ingress via a failed seal. I do the corners and then the straights with two more readings, more if it is a wide window. Then do the same around the upper wall near ceiling in case the awning rails or upper window hinge seals have failed. You say you have a diagram so follow it. Basically lifting seats and testing all areas of panel joints. Where the wall board shows marks on your photo take more readings gradually expanding outwards to try and establish how far it has gone. Wet timbers can be dried but if they have rotted đŸ€ŹGood luck and let the brain not the heart rule the day

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for the update. Covid led to a really large increase in prices for caravan as new ones weren’t being made and staycation created a big demand for pre owned caravans, motorhomes, campervans and even tents. The bubble has shown signs of easing but prices aren’t at pre covid levels by any means.

I enclose a photo of a damp survey undertaken on my last caravan. The readings shown were quite a bit higher than normal but my AWS technician who knew the caravan and models like it wasn't fussed. The reason being we had only just returned from an incredibly wet two weeks on he North York Moors. We had two dogs in with us and to add insult to injury the site owners decided not to have the showers open citing covid. So we had to use our own shower. They gave a ÂŁ2 day refund saying that we were still using their electric and water. A true embodiment of the Yorkshire spirit of frugality đŸ˜± And then on “Freedom Day” 17th May the village pub decided to stay shut.

Anyway by late June the levels had come down by 3-4%. The buyer of the caravan was experienced and brought his own meter along and just spot checked a few points to confirm the trend for reduced readings from my own meter.

Hopefully seeing the AWS survey along with Dusty’s advice gives you an idea of what to do and where to check.

IMG_0973.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: GaryB and Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for the update. I note you are using Facebook to find a caravan, and that worries me for you.:- there has been a lot of reports in recent months about the lack of control that the social media platforms have maintained on sellers and how accurately such sales are described. Especially with caravans, this is a real concern, simply because most makes and models have a poor history of reliability and a propensity leak especially as they get older, and what might be described by a proud owner as being in good condition may not illicit the same opinion from a seasoned caravan buyer. Also there are professional scammers at work, who try to pass off substandard or even stolen goods as private sales.

With private sales you have very little protection, and if you don't know what your looking for in terms of failure points, you may not spot issues that a more experienced caravanner or a caravan service guy might.

Sadly with caravans and especially older caravans, it's not if they go wrong but when they go wrong,

I often feel that for a novice, although it probably costs more, it can be a wise move to use a caravan dealership. You have so many more protections just in case something goes wrong.

I suggest you try to find a caravanner you know and trust to view prospective caravans with you, or invest in having a pre purchase inspection carried out before agreeing to buy. Any seller private or commercial who objects to this should immediately be distrusted .. what are they trying to hide?

Please don't rush into buying a lemon just to go on holiday. Have a plan "B" just in case you can't find a suitable caravan.

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
It is worth looking at other auction sites, I have just typed swift challenger into the search bar on the well known four letter site and found at least two 530 caravans - one in Hull, the other in Cambridge at around your ÂŁ4000 budget so they are out there.
I agree with other previous comments re. careful inspection, I would always advise a pre-purchase inspection carried out by an independent recognised caravan technician along with careful scrutiny of previous service history / damp reports and a CRIS report- you would not buy a used car without looking at its service history / MOT history / V5
There are caravans out there that have been very well looked after by owners who are looking to upgrade / downsize their current van , you just have to spend some time sat in front of the computer and be prepared to travel if you find the right one, we have just travelled to St.Helens near Liverpool from Newcastle upon tyne to buy our new second hand van.
Apologies if it sounds like I am teaching my grandma to suck eggs, good luck with your search.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As Yorkykev suggests it all about verifying the caravan is in the condition its claimed to be in, that its being sold by the genuine owner, with no leins from finance or anyone else.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
You have probably done this, but if not Autotrader is a good place to search. Small caravan sales places advertise on there. As always, buyer beware but may be worth checking out. There are certainly sub ÂŁ4k vans on there.
good luck
mel

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It is worth the OP talking to his Credit Card Company . If it is possible he can pay the Seller by bank transfer using his CC he should get the Section 75 protection
Never knew you could do that however an interesting read. I doubt if you will get S75 protection as no goods are being purchased when doing a bank transfer as between two parties only cash is involved?

Reading the blurb associated with it if using Paypal it also seems unlikely the S75 could be enforced as you are doing a cash transaction netween Paypal and yourself.

I think it would be a legal minefield as too many grey areas where cash is involved. Not sure if S75 would apply if the other person does not have the facilty to accept a credit card payment?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Never knew you could do that however an interesting read. I doubt if you will get S75 protection as no goods are being purchased when doing a bank transfer as between two parties only cash is involved?

Reading the blurb associated with it if using Paypal it also seems unlikely the S75 could be enforced as you are doing a cash transaction netween Paypal and yourself.

I think it would be a legal minefield as too many grey areas where cash is involved. Not sure if S75 would apply if the other person does not have the facilty to accept a credit card payment?
I agree it’s a minefield and may be a step too far. But what if the OP and seller sign a paper confirming the CC payment to the seller is for the purchase of the Swift??

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I agree it’s a minefield and may be a step too far. But what if the OP and seller sign a paper confirming the CC payment to the seller is for the purchase of the Swift??
When you pay by credit card to a seller surely there is a record with the banks and visa of the payment and that is what they would look at for a S75 claim?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
When you pay by credit card to a seller surely there is a record with the banks and visa of the payment and that is what they would look at for a S75 claim?
I agree but keep thinking is it really that simple? We’re away in Dorset at the moment. I‘ll try and find out next week at a Bank.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I'm inclined to side with Buckman on this one, but we'll have to wait and see what Dusty might find.
Not much more other than the following. It is not at all clear. Any one of us can buy these card reader machines which when linked to a bank account can receive credit card payments. The Lady at Fat Club uses this very system into her personal bank account. A record of the transaction is then recorded.
As far as I can ascertain Section 75 applies without much reservation to C C payments . Cash drawn from a CC and used to pay doesn‘t count.
I am not certain of the final answer. Any offers?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I suspect that section 75 needs evidence the credit facility was used to specifically purchase the goods in question, such that the goods represent the equity against which the credit was raised.

Drawing cash out from a credit card to pay does not prove the cash is used to fund a specific purchase.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts