2008 citroen c5 & c-crosser

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi folks looking at citroen c5 2.0hdi estate or citroen c-crosser 2.2hdi to tow owe bailey burgundy (1400kg)any reports good or bad please...pete

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Can't give you a direct answer but I tow a Burgundy with a 2001 C5 2.2 estate. Never had any problem and I find the self levelling suspension a boon.

One thing to look out for on the c crosser. I don't think you can open the lower tailgate with a towbar fitted so make sure you get a removable one.

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
I have a 2008 new style C5Tourer 2.0hdi and at 15995 miles clutch has gone Citreon will not replace under warranty - feels like a sticky thrust bearing but blaming overheating. {pipe delimiter}Towed caravan only once last October - looks like previous models HDI EU wide problem off clutch look for

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
I have owned a mk1 2.2 2003 saloon for 3 years & have had no problems towing a caravan 1360kg in UK & France. However they have a horrendus depreciation rate if bought new.I bought mine s/h at 40k miles The day I got it the clutch/gearbox gave problems,could not get gears ect.It was repaired under the waranty given by the dealer. since then I have had no problems, now on 60+k miles Towing = 30mpg 42mpg solo

Ian I cannot see why your car car is not done under waranty sounds like the problem I had.I was told it was not clutch but the cable linkage I assume They are in the gearbox.As they quote a tow load of around 1500 kg I cannot see how the can refuse on the grounds of overheating due to towing. I would definatly fight their decision, get legal advice

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Towing load would not significantly produce overheating, but slow traffic and manoeuvring the van into position could. Seeinga towbar on the back gives them a ready let out. Auto evry time providing its a proper auto and not a servo clutch type.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
chap i see when fishing bought a new C5.

Clutch went very quickly. I cant remember the milage, but it was about a year old.

He didn't tow, and was very annoyed about it failing.

It must be a common fault?

It was a diesel.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
chap i see when fishing bought a new C5.

Clutch went very quickly. I cant remember the milage, but it was about a year old.

He didn't tow, and was very annoyed about it failing.

It must be a common fault?

It was a diesel.
Neighbours Picasio "clutch" went at 12k miles. I fact it was the dual mass flywheel not the clutch friction matterial so it was covered.

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
I have a 2008 new style C5Tourer 2.0hdi and at 15995 miles clutch has gone Citreon will not replace under warranty - feels like a sticky thrust bearing but blaming overheating. {pipe delimiter}Towed caravan only once last October - looks like previous models HDI EU wide problem off clutch look for

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Just found out on 13/3/09 that due to car being owned by Citroen Leasing that Citreon as a good will gesture will replace under warranty- the clutch being a wearable part is only covered for 12,000 miles.Caravan being towed once in October don't see why it would have held out till now to go.My boss does not want me to tow again with it as does not fancy a bill for

Apr 12, 2008
Visit site
the weights for c5 are on their web site.

citroen.co.uk/new-cars/citroen-c5-tourer/in-more-detail/technical-specifications/

low nose weights though, but ok.

bang on 85% too.

i tow a lot and have always preferred gross overkill, running a sorento at the minute for 1430kgs. that's all very well for me being retired and don't have to use the car for commuting etc.. but better to read that someone is taking a responsible attitude toward a safe outfit. good luck.

montsett

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
A rather sweeping statement again, William. Two cases of clutch failure is hardly representative of the whole French car industry. Chrisbee seems to be totally satisfied with his Citroen. If French cars were really that bad, what made the PSA Group the second largest car manufacturer in Europe?

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I can thoroughly recomend the C5 as a tow car. I've used hydropnuematic Citroens as my towcar since 1990 having worked through the BX, the Xantia and for the past four years the C5. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. I take part in several Citroen forums and failing clutches and gearboxes do no more feature highly as a design fault than they do on any other make of car. A C5 would handle a Burgundy very easily and would give a much better fuel consumption than the Crosser.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts