2009 Kia Sportage 2.0d 4wd Vibration

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Been trying to find the cause of a vibration when pulling tq in 4th gear. Much worse when towing the van. So far have changed n/s front driveshaft, both bottom front suspension arms and front droplinks. Got rid of all the rattles and drives really well but still this vibration when pulling Tq. have checked all 3 engine mounts and all 3 rear diff mounts without find anything. Anyone else experienced this when towing with a sportage?
thanks

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
its an automatic 4wd - rear wheels only drive when one of the front wheels slip- and it does it in 2 wheel drive. Cant find any play in uj's and there's no bearing noise. I changed the front nearside driveshaft but made no difference. Kinda expensive to guess which bit next.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem with my last Sorento, never did find the answer, I just changed the car.
Had no problems with this one.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Changing the car is a bit extreme for this OAP ;-)
Checked the wheel balance as a first choice but no imbalance. I think I shall rotate the wheels - can't see any difference in tread depth but might be a tyre fault under load.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Grahamh said:
its an automatic 4wd - rear wheels only drive when one of the front wheels slip- and it does it in 2 wheel drive. Cant find any play in uj's and there's no bearing noise. I changed the front nearside driveshaft but made no difference. Kinda expensive to guess which bit next.

It may be due to differences in tyre diameters. Check your tread depth front and rear to see if there is a large difference.

My XC60 has the Haldex system so the driver has no controls for the AWD at all. I started to get a vibration in 4th or 5th gear when accelerating. This deteriorated to vibration in all gears at all speeds. The car was taken to Volvo who had recently serviced it and confirmed that in their opinion the tyres should be changed; I had replaced the rear tyres which had reached the legal tread limit, but the fronts were at approx 3 or 4mm so were still legal but were wearing down. After getting the front tyres changed the issue went away.

Edit: I've seen the same advice given for other AWD cars and for Freelander owners,also Haldex system, on other forums.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Tyres don't seem to be that different as far as wear goes. I read online that you should check the tyres circumference with a narrow tape so will do that whilst I rotate them corner to corner. Not impressed with the Kia owners forum(unlike PC forum). There's a strange bush underneath between the rear propshaft and exhaust that I just cannot work out what it's for. It's a large block of rubber within a metal cage - has a bolt through it and is just stuck on the large cross member. Have a pic and will try to post. Kia are of no help at all.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Here's the link to the pic I posted on the Kia forum
http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=321&d=1536002664

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Grahamh said:

It may be due to differences in tyre diameters. Check your tread depth front and rear to see if there is a large difference.

My XC60 has the Haldex system so the driver has no controls for the AWD at all. I started to get a vibration in 4th or 5th gear when accelerating. This deteriorated to vibration in all gears at all speeds. The car was taken to Volvo who had recently serviced it and confirmed that in their opinion the tyres should be changed; I had replaced the rear tyres which had reached the legal tread limit, but the fronts were at approx 3 or 4mm so were still legal but were wearing down. After getting the front tyres changed the issue went away.

Edit: I've seen the same advice given for other AWD cars and for Freelander owners,also Haldex system, on other forums.

My Sorento did something similar. I put new AT on the rear which was okay by Kia tech but left the front AT at 4mm. I got a wearisome droning and some transmission vibration. Al of which disappeared when renewed the fronts.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
My Sorento did something similar. I put new AT on the rear which was okay by Kia tech but left the front AT at 4mm. I got a wearisome droning and some transmission vibration. Al of which disappeared when renewed the fronts.

The tyres were probably at 3.5mm when I was forced to replace them but the vibration made the car feel knackered. I'm not one for wasting money so will be rotating the tyres front to back to balance wear and keep diameters synchronised. I opted for Michellin CrossClimates as I'd toyed with a set of winter wheels for my last car. Ultimately storage and maintenance was too much of a pain.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
otherclive said:

The tyres were probably at 3.5mm when I was forced to replace them but the vibration made the car feel knackered. I'm not one for wasting money so will be rotating the tyres front to back to balance wear and keep diameters synchronised. I opted for Michellin CrossClimates as I'd toyed with a set of winter wheels for my last car. Ultimately storage and maintenance was too much of a pain.

I have Cross Climate + on both our cars and cannot fault them. Beast from the east was dismissed without angst and they are good for normal dry or wet conditions. Very quiet too.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
That's what we have on ours to . But if the tyres doesn't resolve the problem and its going to start costing money it could be time for a newer motor ..... :(

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
That's what we have on ours to . But if the tyres doesn't resolve the problem and its going to start costing money it could be time for a newer motor ..... :(

If its not another easily replaceable part, like tyres, it would depend on how bad the vibration is... could you put up with it?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:

At the price of a set of Cross Climates your on your way to another vehicle:-(

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Checked tyres today. 4mm tread all round. Circumferences are all the same - within 25mm. Pressures all ok.

Not a matter of putting up with it, it's more of the worry of when it will break down. If I could discover the cause I could fix it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Graham this rubber bush thing with the cage round it,sounds like some form of harmonic damper,which has moved ? Try removing it see what happens? Mark it's original position first though

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My advice,take it to a local garage,get one of the lads to give it a quick test drive.They will advise you as to what they think it is or could be and maybe a rough price.This should be free or at least not much maybe half hour labour.We could be guessing for months otherwise.
P.s If you go to dealer it'll take time to book in etc...id try a local smaller garage.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
taking it to a local garage is why I changed both bottom wishbones and front droplinks. the diagnosis cost me £50. They were worn but didn't cure the vibration.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Fitting wishbones and drop links won't cure a vibration.(as you now know)when you get the vibration,is it through the steering wheel or through your seat/backside?if it's through the steering wheel it's the fronts,if through your backside it's prop or rear driveshafts/ wheel balance.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
It's felt through the floor at the front nearside - which is why I first opted for the fr n/s d'shaft. When that didn't cure it I asked the local garage to looks at it on the ramp and drive it - it also had rattles over speed humps etc. They found the drop links and wishbone bushes worn. It was easier to change the wishbones than press out individual bushes. Now just the vibration remains though not as bad as it was. Still seems to be at the front though. Can't see any play or softness in any of the engine, gearbox or rear diff mounts.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I am almost frightened to say that my problem may be solved. Long chat with Kia dealer last week. The block thingy that I posted a picture of is a dampener - one of two. Its purpose is to lessen noise and vibration. Not moveable - it's either there or it isn't. It seems the problem was caused by leaving the tyres at the full load pressure, which obviously affects the circumference. took .5 bar out of the rear tyres and the problem is gone! Plan on changing all 4 tyres before next spring and I will change the rear diff fluid at next service. Thanks for all your advice and thoughts.
Happy days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts