2015 2.0 VW Tiguan 2WD help and views!

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
A local 2015 2.0 2WD Tiguan has come up for sale. It has only done under 30k miles and according to Towsafe, has a much better safety tow match than our current 2010 Golt 2.0 Tdi estate. The Golf had the VW emissions issues that were safely concluded but how could I find out if the Tiguan should be clear of this? Any advice, or views on the Tiguan regarding the model or the emissions would be appreciated

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Cant review what you are looking at but oor Kuga is about the same spec same height and is a good tow car , what caravan are you wanting to tow ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Terry,

To find out if teh vehicle was affected check teh VIN number here
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/emissionsinfo

To find out if the car has been modified, you could always ask the seller, as they should have proof of the work carried out.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Do you mean the diesel gate scandal by Volkswagen? Or what other emissions issues are you thinking of?

I have a 2.0 tdii Skoda 2014. It had its emissions software recoded by the authorised service center who issued me with a certificate of completion. it was also entered on the cars service data sheets available for all VAG service centres to see. So you could check with your local Volkswagen center to see if its ben done. Its nota legal requirement to do it, and despite what the doom mongers may say I have noticed absolutely no negative effects on performance or mpg. From memory i think you get a 2 year warranty after its been done which covers a heck of a lot of the combustion / emmisons kit on the car.

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
It's from a dealer that says it wouldn't have fallen into the said VW emissions scandal. Not having bought the car....yet, means I don't have the vin number yet.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
The easy way to check is the power output. The 2.0 diesel engine affected by the 'Dieselgate' scandal was the so-called 'EA189' unit that produced 140 or 170bhp. The newer, 150 or 190bhp units that are still in production were not affected. The new engine was launched during 2015 so a model from that year has the potential to be fitted with either.

The Tiguan is heavier than the Golf which should in principle make it more stable when towing a heavier caravan (all other things being equal). Without knowing the weight of your Lunar it's impossible to comment further but I wouldn't be too quick to discount the Golf particularly if you have experience of towing with it already.

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Thank you ProfJohn. Yes, checked that now using the car reg then the vin. Seems it has been updated (via VW Website) so that's one less item to be concerned about? I hope the VW Certificate is present with the car docs.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
TerryIvybridge said:
It's from a dealer that says it wouldn't have fallen into the said VW emissions scandal. Not having bought the car....yet, means I don't have the vin number yet.

Not another dealer who is talking baloney. Mercedes Benz last week, now Volkswagen. Is there a trend developing? They will say anything to obtain a sale. :)

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Well I'm prepared to believe what I'm being told at the moment. Through some research I've found that the car was subject to the emissions update and was installed by the Main dealer as was all the full main dealer servicing. The second visit to the dealer i'll take care to look for the certificate of completion. I feel a little happier now and give it more thought.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
TerryIvybridge said:
Well I'm prepared to believe what I'm being told at the moment. Through some research I've found that the car was subject to the emissions update and was installed by the Main dealer as was all the full main dealer servicing. The second visit to the dealer i'll take care to look for the certificate of completion. I feel a little happier now and give it more thought.

You believe what your being told yet in your first post you say that the dealer told you it wouldn’t fall within “ the said VW emissions scandal” and now you say it does! As I have advised it really doesn’t matter because if it had not had its emissions software updated any VAG service center would have done it for free and issued the certificate. However the certificate isn’t essential as the VAG database will show the cars status and that can be printed off to show in the future when you sell it or trade it in. It’s not required for MoT in UK.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I realise this is an old thread but just as an update today VW have agreed to pay £193M to close out the UK Class Action over the "fixing" of VAG diesel emissions re diesel gate.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I realise this is an old thread but just as an update today VW have agreed to pay £193M to close out the UK Class Action over the "fixing" of VAG diesel emissions re diesel gate.
Doesn't quite close it out - that class action only related to 4-cylinder engines - sadly the number of 6/8 cylinder VWs isn't enough to generate a class action so not sure how those will be resolved.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't quite close it out - that class action only related to 4-cylinder engines - sadly the number of 6/8 cylinder VWs isn't enough to generate a class action so not sure how those will be resolved.
Well if they weren’t in the class action it’s a difficult position the owners will still face. But the class action has succeeded in its intent.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Well if they weren’t in the class action it’s a difficult position the owners will still face. But the class action has succeeded in its intent.
Owners of 6/8 cylinder VWs were excluded from the class action - I tried to join but was rejected because they were only dealing with 4-cylinder versions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts