2018 Caravelair Antarès 406

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Before we bought our current Sprite as a pre-owned we looked at the 2016/7 Antares range with the doors on the UK offside. They were very competitively priced and an ex display Antares 455 was advertised at just under £13000. Having owned Trigano Silver pop top I was aware of the groups track record, as the Trigano was excellent quality. Although the Anatres was interesting we felt its length at 5.33m was as a four berth just too small for us with dogs and grand children. So in the end we opted for a pre-owned Sprite. But the Antares 455 had a MTPLM of 1300kg with a whopping 364kg payload. And I recall that the sales agent told me that the payload could be increased further on new caravans. And Triganos website confirmed as such. At the time new ones came with a five year water ingress warranty but looking at the Marquis website I see that they now have 7 years, but where oh where has the payload gone? I suspect its the normal trait of keeping MTPLM down in order to attract buyers with lighter cars, and some extra fittings to meet UK buyers aspirations. The Maquis website doesn't say if the new 2018 455 can have a weight upgrade. Nevertheless an interesting addition to the market place.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It looks a far better proposition than last years model and the size is workable. WEe started out with four of us in a 10 ft caravan but you have to live with the compromises.
The toilet out let would not be a problem to me. We had the same position on our Avondale and it proved useful to fill the toilet if it ran out in the night.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Looks a lot smarter than the last ones on the outside and I think it's very well equipped for the money. If starting out with a young family or a couple downsizing but wanting to bring the grandchildren or indeed if they just want a proper dining area it's spot on.

There is always a groan from the caravan press when the cassette hatch is on the awning side. WHY????????
If it's raining, cold, damp and horrid it's so much better to be able to sort the toilet in the awning. Also as Ray says in the dark. Many of us remember when we didn't even have a cassette toilet to moan about where the hatch was. It's a minor negative at most and in my opinion a positive.

Mar 29, 2018
Visit site
Quite agree re the cassette. Just acquired a 406 and off next week to Delamere Forest. So far so good. Getting used to the fiddly bits of control panels etc. Upgraded from a folding camper so all a but new. Towed back from Poole to Bristol ok. Looks good on the road.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Pbretired said:
Quite agree re the cassette. Just acquired a 406 and off next week to Delamere Forest. So far so good. Getting used to the fiddly bits of control panels etc. Upgraded from a folding camper so all a but new. Towed back from Poole to Bristol ok. Looks good on the road.

I hope that you have a good first trip out. May the sun shine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts