2022 Swift 12V wiring colours

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
USB sockets are wired white with a red trace and green/yellow. Does anyone know which is positive and which negative? I have a feeling white/red is negative but I'm away from home and hence don't have my handbook. A quick Google threw up white/orange as negative for several makes, just wondered if anyone knew for sure, if not I'll look in the manual when I get home.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
UK caravan manufacturers seem to use White for 0V dc wiring and coloured for other positive connections, but which colour is basically down to the manufacture and may change from model to model.

Do not assume this is always the case, check the manufactures information for each specific model of caravan. or check with a polarity tester or multimeter to identify which might be which.

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Yep, it was the white/red that was negative, all now done. This was the USB socket over the bed that had a blue LED on it that lit the whole room up when in use! Eventually sourced one without an LED.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I am not sure, but I doubt if it will make any difference which way around a USB socket is wired?

I'm not sure but with one tail red and one black coming out of it, the OCD in me just couldn't cope with any other way that red to positive and black to negative! If it were the other way around it'd have kept me awake more than the blue light shining from the previous one.

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Usb sockets are involved with DC circuits and they most certainly do need to wired the correct way round, otherwise there could be some quite expensive mistakes.

Reactions: RogerL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Usb sockets are involved with DC circuits and they most certainly do need to wired the correct way round, otherwise there could be some quite expensive mistakes.
However when you connect the USB lead to the phone, tablet etc it does not matter which way around you plug in the lead which is why I assumed it made no difference how it is wired in especially if the socket is a 12v DC socket?

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
However when you connect the USB lead to the phone, tablet etc it does not matter which way around you plug in the lead which is why I assumed it made no difference how it is wired in especially if the socket is a 12v DC socket?
That is usb type c, all the others matter which way you plug them in, and they can only be plugged in one way for a reason.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The USB C protocol determines the actual USB C plug is able to be physically connected to a USB C socket in either orientation, but the way the USB plug and socket can be wired (not plugged) to other equipment is polarity sensitive.

Reactions: GaryB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts