2023 Nissan X-Trail E-Power E-4orce

Dec 21, 2019
Visit site
Hi

looking at this car as a possible replacement for my 2013 Freelander 2 and wondered if anyone owns one or has experience of towing with one. Particular interested in the petrol hybrid 4 wheel drive. Will be towing a Swift Conqueror 480 at 1550kg.

many thanks

Dave

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not towed with one might my daughter loves hers. Might be a bit light for the Swift though, but depends a bit on your towing history.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not towed with one might my daughter loves hers. Might be a bit light for the Swift though, but depends a bit on your towing history.
I don't see why a personal towing history has any bearing on the mechanical suitability of a new tow vehicle?

If the vehicle is rated to tow a particular weight caravan, these days with the test based type approvals it should cope with it irrespective of any previous experience the driver may have. What experience can offer is how to interpret the dynamics and towing characteristics of an outfit, and knowing how to tow more safely.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I don't see why a personal towing history has any bearing on the mechanical suitability of a new tow vehicle?

If the vehicle is rated to tow a particular weight caravan, these days with the test based type approvals it should cope with it irrespective of any previous experience the driver may have. What experience can offer is how to interpret the dynamics and towing characteristics of an outfit, and knowing how to tow more safely.
Be careful there John - towing limits cover all types of trailers not just caravans - my Touareg has a 3,500 kg towing limit but few, if any, of us would recommend a newcomer, ie no towing history, to tow a caravan of that weight*

* I know there are few, if any, UK/EU caravans that heavy but they can be imported from other parts of the world.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Hi

looking at this car as a possible replacement for my 2013 Freelander 2 and wondered if anyone owns one or has experience of towing with one. Particular interested in the petrol hybrid 4 wheel drive. Will be towing a Swift Conqueror 480 at 1550kg.

many thanks

Dave
Has 1650kg towing capacity on site I saw and vehicle weight of >2000kg laden. So shouldn't have problem and enough in reserve to allow for larger van in future.
Power train is petrol to electricity +battery, then direct drive electric motors giving instant torque of EV. No dodgy CVT transmission so should be very reliable.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Has 1650kg towing capacity on site I saw and vehicle weight of >2000kg laden. So shouldn't have problem and enough in reserve to allow for larger van in future.
Power train is petrol to electricity +battery, then direct drive electric motors giving instant torque of EV. No dodgy CVT transmission so should be very reliable.
Which dodgy CVT transmissions are you thinking of?

Dec 21, 2019
Visit site
Hi

thank you all for your time and effort in replying and providing advice. I maybe should have explained that I have been towing a caravan for over 45 years and cover over 5000 miles a year in the UK and Europe. I have owned both the Freelander (2013), and Conqueror (2016) from new and find the combination very safe and secure with enough power for our needs. However whilst I have had no problems with the Freelander I am Inverness-shire that Iris will be 11 years old in March and how reliable will it remain, hence the search for a new tow car. Have looked at all sorts from Ford Kuga upto BMW X3 but thought the XTrail may suit the best and so sought help.

Thanks
Dave

Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
I'm 25+ years experience in towing and are in a similar search to you. After extensive research I have narrowed it down to a Audi Q5, BMW X3, Merc GLC, Volvo XC40, Discovery Sport (2019+ Facelift model) and a Discovery 5, all petrol as I do very very short journeys and don't want an expensive DPF issue to resolve. Hardly narrowing it down as the more reading / researching you do the more confusing it gets!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Nissan CVTs haven't got greatest reliability record at least compared to Honda and Toyota. Know of a couple failures with friends Nissans.
I’ve read that Nissan got a grip of CVT reliability around 2017 after which performance improved. But certainly they were below par cf to some of their competitors.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts