2nd hand Hobby

Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
Hallo again people,

Im ready to buy a Hobby 650 UFE model 2005( end toilet) does anybody have this model and how much do you think i should expect to pay ???

thanks William

williammwatson@yahoo.co.uk

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I don't have that model william, I have a 635, which is the same body but rather than the washroom in the corner of the bedroom it has it in the centre opposite the wardrobe. It also has a solid sliding door between the bedroom and living area, where the 650 only has a flimsy concertina type screen. I also have chocolate box portrait windows, but they're a matter of personal preference.

I'd say if its been looked after it'll be worth about

Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
I have a NISSAN ADVENTURA PICK-UP, I have been assured by the dealer this is permissable as this is what he uses, maybe just a sales pitch so i will buy it, I do know there is restrictions on this ,but again dealer assured me this only applies to 700 range, my pick-up can pull up to 2700kgs,i do realise its the length and width of the van .its starting to get confusing now with all these conflicting stories !!

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Your Nissan pickup is not legally capable of towing your chosen 'van unless it has a gross weight of more than 3.5 tonnes. I'm pretty sure the gross weight of your pickup is about 2.8 tonnes. The reason for this is because the Hobby 650 is 8 ft wide, as are all Hobbys from the 560 upwards.

Your dealer has spun you a line. The good news is if you want to tow this 'van you'll probably never be stopped as long as you use extension mirrors. I've towed mine all over Britain and know several others who do the same.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Even if the maximum permissible towload of your pickup exceeds the weight of the caravan, you may still only tow one that is more than 2.3m wide if the GVW is greater than 3500kg.

Unfortunately, that's the rather abstruse legal situation in the UK. I fail to understand what width has to do with weight of the towcar, but there it is.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Another thought william. The max weight of my 'van is 2000kgs, and I'm sure the 650 is the same. That may make it a tad heavy for your Nissan which from memory has a kerbweight of a bout 1830kgs. You'd need to check though, I might be wrong about the kerbweight.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi William

Another query to throw in the pot, what happens if you have a accident with the Hobby who ever's fault it is, will the insurance companies pay out? Car's or caravan's. I think not.

Regards

Nidge

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
The answer Nidge is simple, William will not be insured as the car is not legally able to tow the van.

He will be prosecuted for being uninsured he will not get paid for his car or his van and the poor sole who is allso involved will need to claim of theire own insurance losing the bonus on the way.

As lutz has said the only vehicles able to tow these vans legally in the uk are those with a gross weight above 3.5 tonnes, even the largest ford transit vans are too light as they are rated at 3.5 ton not above it so you will need something like a 7.5 ton lorry which unladen weighs in at 4 ton.

There are some vehicles capable but most are totally impractible, far better to just stick to 7.6 foot wide vans and tow with the nissan.

Its not the dealer in adlington is it William ? he should know better.

Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
Thanks to all for your replies,i did have an idea about all the issues mentioned,the main one is obviously the insurance one, I do have 7.5t vehicles within my company but as you all know that would`nt be very practical,only option would be to tow caravan to permanent site but that totally defeats the purpose of havin a tourer,i cant seem to find anything with the same quality as the Hobby,the other models from Hobby just seem a little small.other alternative options are gratefully appreciated

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
William, coachman make caravans that are more than a match for the hobby quality wise.

Yes they are a bit more expensive but you do get just about everything in them and if you want a kitchen then they leave the hobby standing plus they are now the full uk width.

We tried a another manufacturer after our first 3 vans which where all coachman, the ace lasted 8 month with us before we went back to coachman quality.

Jan 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi William.

I am a big Hobby fan, as I don't think there are other vans on the market than comes close to the style layout and build quality for the money you pay, but the only draw back with the Hobby's is the weights.

I order a new Hobby excellent 460 ufe from a dealer in Scotland, but ended up having to cancel after a lot of bother with this dealer, ( you can read about on this forum if you go to, General, then page 2 and look for " what excuses dealer give you for not delivering on time " ) after all the carry on with this, I was put off of buying another new Hobby caravan, it was just as well that I did, as I discovered that van I had ordered, although one of the smaller one's was still to heavy for the car I have, as I passed my driving test in 1999, so I am limited to what I can tow.

I am like you what can replace the Hobby, Can I suggest you take look at the new 2007 Adria Adiva, I saw one at a dealer near me when I went to buy alternative van, It's very similar in side to the Hobby Excelsior, with the seating in the middle of this Adiva caravan. not at the end of the caravan as in the Excelsior.

The Adiva model looks stylish in side, but best of all is the weight I think the total mass running weight is 1500kg or 1600kg, as to 2000kg with the Hobby 650ufe, it's not the same as the Hobby but it's a good alternative, Please have a look at one as you will be impressed with it.

Robert.

Nov 1, 2006
Visit site
Thanks again for both your suggestions and choices, still cant get away from the Hobby idea, im lookin for something with same design i.e. wrap round front seats, fixed bed, and end toilet, any other suggestions or ideas well appreciated

thanks again William

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
William,

Have you looked at the Hobby 540WLU?

Almost the spec you have quoted apart from twin beds rather than double. Can be legally towed with normal tow car on UK roads.

1550Kgs (although I had mine upgraded to 1600Kgs).

And very importantly, not a single fault or hiccup since I bought mine in May 2005.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi William

Have you considered the Hymer Nova range. We have a 570 gs, not the lay out you require, but I'm sure they do what you are after.

Fantastic Bullet proof German build quality and I would never buy British again.

Cheers

Nidge

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts