2nd hand towbar and car. Help please

Oct 24, 2024
Visit site
We have purchased a Volvo XC60 with a towbar already installed.
I have plenty of experience towing and being quite fastidious about nose weight - but that was about 15 years ago and I haven't towed since. And 15 years ago my memory was a bit shaper than it is now.
This is my first post, and I'm already asking for help; forgive me.
I can't even work out what nose weight I should be aiming for?
Do I take a measurement from the caravan (a bailey unicorn Cadiz) or is there something that should have come with the car indicating any limitations of the towbar that is fitted?

I was really good with a cut off broom handle and a set of scales back in the day, so if I knew what to aim for I'd be ok, but I'm pretty lost at the moment.

Car and van being picked up separately in the next 7 to 10 days, so any help greatly appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Without knowing what caravan your intending to tow, we cant really offer any specific advice, except that the caravan industry advise you should not tow a caravan that exceeds the the tow vehicles kerb weight if your experienced, aif you inexperienced you should not exceed 85% of the tow vehicles kerbweight until you gain experience of the outfit.

Nose load should be between 5&7% of the caravans MTPLM but must not exceed the maximum load specified for either the car or the caravan.

Good towing is not just about weights, its about how the car and caravan is loaded and the weight distributed, Heavy items should be kept low down and as close to axle as possible, and adjusted to set the target nose load value.

Driving habits, and being aware of the size of the outfit , and how much time and space is needed to join traffic on the roads etc, and ensuring the car and caravan are fully roadworthy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts