Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone help please? We are on the verge of buying our first motorhome and have been looking at 3,500kg but have just found one that we really like that is supposedly 3,850kg. Are there any advantages to buying a motorhome below 3,500kg?

Jay

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It depends on what your licence allows you to drive. Over 3500Kg you need category C1 entitlement. See http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-faqs.shtml#Licences
Graham

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
In addition, if you intend to tour on the continent, if your PTAC (MGW) is over 3.5T you will be restricted to HGV (poids lourd) speed limits and many 'touristic' routes are banned to vehicles over 3.5T.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Notice also, in Graham's link, that when you have to renew your licence at 70 (as everyone does) there are medical requirements if you want to keep C1. This seems to apply regardless of whether you obtained your C1 through a separate test or by "grandfather rights" from pre-1997.
Even a pre-1997 driver might find that the C1 (and D1 minibus too) has mysteriously vanished from their licence, if they've sent it for replacement at some time. I'm told DVLA have got their act together a bit now, but there was a long period when licences were coming back with only post-1997 classes. DVLA would say there was no record of what was on the old licences as they were routinely destroyed. During that period, the only sure way to keep your C1/D1 when your licence went away (even for a change of address!) was to keep a photocopy as backup AND enclose a letter pointing out the categories on the licence.
Personally, I'd still be inclined to take those precautions even now - perhaps I've heard public bodies say "it's OK, we've sorted it now" too many times! (Cynical? Moi?)

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi: dependant upon age - they are more likely to be LEZ compliant. If under 3500kg (and newer than Jan 2002) they will be. If over 3500kg they need to be newer than Oct 2006. This applies currently to travelling in most European cities and London.
Richard

TRENDING THREADS