4 x 4 or AWD

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone tell me the difference between 4 x 4s and AWD? I suppose to many this may be a daft qestion, but I would like to know!!!

G

One of the same.

All Wheel Drive

and 4 wheel drive as far as I know.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
AWD means all wheel drive - the same as 4x4. Some vehicles have permanent drive to all the wheels others can drive either 2 wheels or all 4.

Graeme

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
4 x 4 is from the army description 4 wheels of which 4 can be driven. It does not have to mean that it can be used in 4 WD drive on the road.

AWD has come to mean all wheel drive in which all wheels become driven on the road without driver input. All AWD are 4x4 but not all 4x4 are AWD

The best demonstration of this is the Kia Sorento. All models are 4 x4. But the lowest model the XE drives in 2WD on the road and can only use 4WD in slippery conditions and 4WD is manualy switched in by the driver, the XS model automatically brings in 4WD when it detects slip on the road and so is AWD.

As a road vehicle AWDs are superior, for example when you hit ice on the road the car is in 4WD rather than just the rear wheel drive of the older designs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can see you're trying to help Ann but I think you might be getting too technical, James.

There are systems out there that drive all four wheels all the time, those that drive 2 wheels but automatically bring in the second pair when slip is detected and drive trains such as you described like the Sorento XE's, manually changed system. And there are more when you consider manual and auto diff locks etc. All of which can come under the heading 4x4 or AWD. AWD is just a term used by several manufactures to describe their cars, that have four wheel drive. I would say that it is more closely linked to "normal" road cars, that are four wheel drive.

As for AWD (presuming you mean full time 4x4) being superior, well, lets just say that is a matter for debate.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I can see you're trying to help Ann but I think you might be getting too technical, James.

There are systems out there that drive all four wheels all the time, those that drive 2 wheels but automatically bring in the second pair when slip is detected and drive trains such as you described like the Sorento XE's, manually changed system. And there are more when you consider manual and auto diff locks etc. All of which can come under the heading 4x4 or AWD. AWD is just a term used by several manufactures to describe their cars, that have four wheel drive. I would say that it is more closely linked to "normal" road cars, that are four wheel drive.

As for AWD (presuming you mean full time 4x4) being superior, well, lets just say that is a matter for debate.
ok lets debate!

Oh Yes IT IS!

:)

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
My understanding of AWD is that all the wheels are driven and this encompasses 2 wheel drive motorcycles! (yes), through 6 wheel landies and army type vehicles right up to multi wheel vehicles and even tracked vehicles like half tracks and tanks.

Because of this, part time 4WD is still 4WD and AWD as well.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
I think on modern cars the difference is purley a marketing one "invented" by Volvo and Audi and probably others at various times. It's just pedantics and AWD equals 4WD although it is true that there are differing mechanical and electronic ways of getting all the wheels to drive and indeed refinements thereof.

I remember the 6 wheel military Alvis chassis of the 60's in which all 6 wheels were driven. AWD was not a buzzword then so it was a 6WD or a 6x6.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I stand corrected

I tried to find a definition to back up my view and can not find one.

Most of the definitions are pretty close to this one and only seem to refer to 4 wheel vehicles.

http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national/?srv=parser&act=display&tf=/advice/shopping/4wd_demystified/all_wheel.tmpl
The All Wheel Drive Club will take any vehicle that can go off road including 2WD buggies, so are really an off road rather than AWD club.

Damn, I was going to tow to the next rally with a half track.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Both 4x4 and AWD mean essentially the same thing, they can both apply to full-time and part-time systems.

The term AWD was probably "invented" to prevent conventional saloons and estates with 4-wheel drive from getting the increasing stigma attached to 4x4s derived from Land-Rover and Jeep types.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
VW had a "Synchro" system on some of its vehicles. Early Subaru cars had a very crude system that if left on wound the transmission up so much you could hear the car creak with the strain! It could only be used in slippery conditions - not on tarmac.

Then Audi introduced their wonderful Quattro (drool!!!) but even that was not quite right for normal road use as the drive was split 50/50 and if you think about it the rear wheels will always transcribe a smaller arc than the front - so transmission wind up happened again which lead to premature wear of certain componants.

So Audi changed to 60/40 which solved much of the problems.

Other manufacurers such as Ford used Viscous Couplings (sort of Auto Gearbox technology) on their Cosworths and RS4x4.

So in summary - No car is 4 wheel drive in reality. If it where it would wreck itself on the first twisty lane it had to deal with.

A two wheel drive car has an axle that can "slip" so that as you turn only one wheel drives whilst the other runs free. To give better grip some cars were available with "Limited Slip Diferentials" - which did as it sounds and limited the slipping wheel so that drive was not just to one wheel on corners.

A 4 wheel drive car does the same but on both axles. So as stated above this is better in slipery conditions.

Various manufacturers have diferent ways of achieving this.

Some 4x4's then have a "Diff Lock" that locks the centre dif so that both axles are turning at the same rate. But the Axles still allow one of the wheels to slip.

One option then is to fit an axle locker of some sort but most now go for Traction Control where as soon as the braking system detects that a wheel is spinning the Computor applies the brakes to that wheel and so drive is applied only to those wheels that have a firm grip.

I have two 4x4's, each with both systems - both are VERY good.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Oh no, it isn't!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts