4 x 4 Owners-Any Tips on how you load Bikes onto your roof ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Despite being 6'3" I,m struggling to find a easy way ( If there is one ! ) to load the family bikes onto my roof cycle carrier.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Mike.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike, What sort of 4 X 4 do you have? I had a Freelander and being a short**s it was a problem. I fitted side rails and used these together with the step from the van to reach. My wife helped by pushing on my back to help qwith the leverage.

I've got a Landcruiser now so there is no chance of getting them up there. I'm still thinking a ways around it, in the meantime, anyone want some roof bike racks??

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Hi Mike, What sort of 4 X 4 do you have? I had a Freelander and being a short**s it was a problem. I fitted side rails and used these together with the step from the van to reach. My wife helped by pushing on my back to help qwith the leverage.

I've got a Landcruiser now so there is no chance of getting them up there. I'm still thinking a ways around it, in the meantime, anyone want some roof bike racks??
Hello Clive there is a bike carrier that you can get that fits on the rear of your car and still leaves room to hitch the caravan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Errr! - OK Frank - ;0) I will think about option if I ever have to put bikes on my roof.

There are "Wheel Steps" available which you simply hang over the tyre/wheel giving you a step.

See - http://www.mud4x4.co.uk/showroom.html They are on the last page - item 64 of 66.

I have seen these used but never used them myslf. My old Range Rover had that wonderfull horizontal tailgate that you could stand on. Brilliant for roof loading.

My current Discovery has a very wide rear bumper with a hydraulic step which is useful. Not as good as the RR in this respect tho', but still far better than most.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike, we carry four bikes on the roof of the Sorento and I used to use the caravan step. Recently bought a small plastic folding step from B&Q which is a couple of feet tall. Now have no problems securing the bikes on the roof. Step is small and light enough to fit in the front locker of the caravan when travelling.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies.

It looks like a trip to B&Q this weekend then for some small step ladders.

Either that or I get my old platform shoes out of the attic !!!!!!!!!!!!!( Now you will all recognise me on site ! )

Cheers,

Mike.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Allyson, I didnt see your reply as you tagged it to Lutz's message.

The bars are free of charge if you can collect. They are about 3 years old but seem to have plenty of life left in them. If you contact Moddy they can send me your email add. for contact.

Clive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts