May 9, 2005
Visit site
I was outraged by Mrs Joan Stevenson letter re 4 x 4. She really needs to do research into the use of 4x4's before she lets off steam. Yes we do have a 4x4, but it is a small one{Freelander}. We bought is not for the weight issue but for the towing power. Her points she put across of reasons why people buy 4x4 was utter rubish. 1 to keep up with the Jones = I don't keep up with the Jones at all. 2 status symbil = if that was so we would also have a new van instead of our 1989 compass Ralleye. We had a Mondeo which was fine for weight ratio but like gust up hills and moving off on hill even with a light van in tow. Secondly we live next to the busy A1 and I feel safer passing lorries day in and day out in our Freelander. Our car uses no more petrol that the average saloon it is no bigger than the average saloon it just looks it because of the height and because it is fairly new it throughs out no more gasses than some older cars, and costs no more new than a lot of the top of the range luxury cars that do eat more petrol. If people read up on the facts of these 4x4;s then maybe they would understand them a bit more. My husband and I have been caravaning together for over 20 yrs and previously with our parents so we do know alot about the industry. Yes large 4x4's are not needed except maybe those who wish to buy a twin axle and it is not all the fault of the caravan manufactures for the weight of a caravan, afterall my parents had a 1972 Ace Courier which was very basic and weighted next to nothing. It is us the public who demand more extras in the vans eg large fridges and mocrowaves that put the weight in a van and caravan movers. In response to Mr Wilcox that 4x4's make bad solo cars he should actually drive one our Freelander drives like a dream and handles the country roads were we live a dream and find it far easy to drive than our prviously Mondeo so and Mr Mortimer we do not have a walk in wardrobe.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
why feel the need to justify your choice of vehicle ?

It is a free country , buy what you like and ignore the snipers.

At the end of the day when the Mondeos etc are bogged down on a muddy field , who will the owners turn to for a tow off ?????

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well said Linda, and since you are one of the female species, that blows the macho thing that some attach to 4x4s, right out of the water.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
O.K

I have not seen the original post on 4X4s but I get the basic jist. I drive a large 4X4 and it ommissions are far less than many cars on the road only 95ppm.I do not keep up with the Jones's as I have no need too. I pull a van weighing 1400kg and the driver and vehicle are in control not the van.I indulge in county sport's ( and proud of it) so I am going up and down track,s that many normal car's would not be able to take or bottom out on the undulating surface. In my normal day to day business I carry a considerable amount of equipment to carry out my prefered career. My son uses local transport to school or walks so no need for the school run. Don't get on your high horse(or would you recognise one) when talking about 4X4s. They meet a need to a end that if the owner so desire's fit's their needs. Also safer as you can see more of the road ahead and take the required action and if involved in a accident I know what type of vehicle I would rather be in. It is not a status symbol it is a tool that some people require or in some cases desire.

Stop talking to the horse rear end and take it from the horse's mouth!

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Linda

Well said.

We have a Nissan Terrano and a Vauxhall Corsa. My wife prefers driving the Terrano any day over the Corsa. Well we both do. She finds it easier to drive, more comfortable, safer, and she knows that she isn't going to get stuck anywhere.

Status symbol, no. Practical, yes. It's a great estate car and we can throw all sorts of tasks at it without a problem. When we changed our bathroom suite I took the complete old bathroom to the tip in one go in the Terrano. Bath, toilet, cistern, sink, pedestal, bin bags full of rubbish, boxes, packaging the lot. That's what I like, the versatility. And I'm not going to get stuck on a campsite either.

But if someone wants to own one and just use it for the school runs and shopping trips then that's up to them. As far as I'm aware we're in a free country. (Well not financially free of course but you know what I mean).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This old chestnut crops up time and time again. Well done Linda for making a stand. Interstingly I helped a guy who was stuck in a field when towing a horse trailer who had one of these people carriers - VW "Sharon" or Ford "Tracy" I think it was, and what a mess he made of the field!! I only mention the car type because it was as big as my 4x4.

The owner of the field went absolutly ape! He forced the guy to stop and asked me in my old Range Rover to assist. This we did by selecting Diff Lock and low range and pulled both the people carrier and the horse box off the field at tickover without disturbing a further sod (though the silly one driving the people carrier wasn't too happy at what the field owner had said to him)

Surely it is about choice? Why can't these people who proclaim to know better than everybody else just get a maturity level a bit larger than thier shoe size.

We have a notice on our fridge that states

"Teenagers please leave home now whilst you still know everything".

It worked on our children in that they are both now mature adults. What a shame Mrs Joan Stevenson clearly have a maturity age of circa 12. Best dismiss her rantings until

the poor little dear gets a life.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are a 1 car familly and like others have the 4x4 for several reasons.

i)The power and weight for ttowing the caravan.

ii)The fuel consumption and running costs are equal and in soime cases better than the larger petrol cars.

iii)As we van 12 months a year all over the uk the 4 wheel drive gets us on and of muddy sites (also have helped others without 4x4's get their vans out).

As otheres have said it is a free country and as long as the vehicle is road legal for our needs we dont have to ask anyones permision.

PS for those anti 4x4 drivers if thet were stuck in a muddy field with their outfit boged down would they refuse a tow out by a 4x4 due to their principles, I think not.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think you all may have missed another point here. If anyone watched 5th gear last night, you will know. They did a crash test on 2 vehicles, a standard saloon car, mondeo i think, and an old shogun. Side impact, the shoguns bonnet actually went straight through the mondeo and contacted the opposite rear door. Demolished the mondeo, at 35 mph. Now although the shogun unbalanced and ended up on it's roof, after an investigation, the damage to the shogun was basically cosmetic, even the front chassis was untouched. The mondeo however was obliterated, and whoever was in the back would of probably been killed.

I have children.

You work out what they travel round in everyday.

And it isn't a mondeo.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

I class myself as an "in-betweeny" in that i have a kia sedona as i need the 7 seats, a big heavy car though not a 4x4, my van is in a friends paddock where the neighbour,a fellow caravanner has a landrover discovery who is always on hand should a need a tug out !!!!!! so I am NOT biased either way, freedom of choice and all that.

But lenny your thread seemed to look down on people who have mondeos and likewise cars and that should they meet a 4x4 in an rta then its their own fault they are all dead for not driving a 4x4. I'm sure this is not what you really mean just how it reads.freedom of choice works both ways.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tina makes a good point. What gets up my nose is the aggresive "we are right and you are wrong attitude" of the Anti 4x4 brigade. The point they try to make is that it is somehow iresponcible to own a 4X4. My earlier contribution tried to get accross the point that in certain conditions (pulling a caravan/horse trailer etc.) NOT having a 4X4 is irresponcible.

At one time I thought that using a 4X4 on the school run was a bit daft!

However, the safety aspect of keeping your loved ones well protected is a factor I as a parent would not ignore. As well as the recent Fifth Gear program (which I did not see as I think it is an appalling program compared to others) a recent survey found that for passenger protection the Land Rover Defender came out best. Interesting considering the thing was designed decades ago. How come modern cars are failing so badly in this area?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a 'part time' 4x4 - a Nissan X Trail - which I bought simply because I liked it. It does at least 40mpg (33 towing) and the emissions are no more than an ordinary family car. As far as I am concerned I couldn't care tuppence what other people think but then you can never satisfy some folks. I think we should close this particular subject.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
can i say one last thing !!!? what does mrs stevenson think of the bmw saloons, audis,mercs etc. that sometimes cost three times what my house is worth, basically she sounds jealous of anyone who has a better car than her regardless of 4x4 or not, I would rather be behind a new 4x4 than a clapped out 20 year old fiesta thats chucking out fumes everywhere and choking me and my family ! If you,ve done well for yourself, show it off !!!! enjoy your 4x4's !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ITS A FREE COUNTRY MAN.LIVE LIKE YOU WANNA LIVE

ANDREW
ITS A FREE COUNTRY ! I dont think so, more laws, restrictions, dont dos, do dos, not to mention taxes than you can shake a stick at. Apart from the air we breath what else is free in this country.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would like to agree with you Alan - the topic is well overblown. However, the "anti brigade" will not let it rest.

They are on a mission and as Arthur Scargill once said "Do not confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up"

If they stop having a go I will not need to defend my choice of vehicle.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Reading the letter from Mrs Stevenson I feel I must come to her defence.She says there are three reasons for buying a 4x4,1,Jones 2,status and 3,towing . Now I bought mine for towing a twin axle but if I didn't caravan why would I buy one? Probably for the same reason half the people in North London have(1,Jones 2,status).She finishes her letter by saying she would love to change caravan but would have to get a bigger car (4x4?)her reasons for not getting one, she's retired and can't afford it! Doesn't sound that anti 4x4 to me.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

I class myself as an "in-betweeny" in that i have a kia sedona as i need the 7 seats, a big heavy car though not a 4x4, my van is in a friends paddock where the neighbour,a fellow caravanner has a landrover discovery who is always on hand should a need a tug out !!!!!! so I am NOT biased either way, freedom of choice and all that.

But lenny your thread seemed to look down on people who have mondeos and likewise cars and that should they meet a 4x4 in an rta then its their own fault they are all dead for not driving a 4x4. I'm sure this is not what you really mean just how it reads.freedom of choice works both ways.
Which in-betweeny are you, Bella or Fizz?

May 9, 2005
Visit site
Reading the letter from Mrs Stevenson I feel I must come to her defence.She says there are three reasons for buying a 4x4,1,Jones 2,status and 3,towing . Now I bought mine for towing a twin axle but if I didn't caravan why would I buy one? Probably for the same reason half the people in North London have(1,Jones 2,status).She finishes her letter by saying she would love to change caravan but would have to get a bigger car (4x4?)her reasons for not getting one, she's retired and can't afford it! Doesn't sound that anti 4x4 to me.
Well mr Brian from St Albans Mrs Stephonson could always buy a caravan that is mayby just a couple of yrs old and get a used car to tow it plus if she reads the back of practical caravan she will find new caravans that can still be towed by her car second hand 4x4 are not that expensive now but if she wants new then she is keeping up with the Jones's is she not.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Linda,....What???

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Linda ,Sorry I really cannot understand your point left as a comment to my last post.You are obviously still outraged from your original letter. Your list of reasons justifying owning a 4x4 (fuel, 'gasses',size,cost)are all correct but where in Mrs Stevenson letter does she make any reference to them. All her letter does is show concern that people might be put off caravanning if they had to buy a 4x4,list reasons why people buy them, and tell us she'd have one if she could afford one. Maybe its you who should do some research before you let off steam.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts