4 x 4

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tina, sorry for my post sounding like i was looking down on people, far from it. But anyone whatsoever who can not consider safety in this day and age has got to ask themselves some serious questions.

I have a caravan, i need a 4x4 to pull it for the weight as my van is heavy. But even if i didnt, my children are safer day to day in a larger 4x4 vehicle than a mondeo.

So i'll put up with silly peoples comments about snobbery (i drive a 7 yr old frontera, hardly status symbol), and i'll put up with ill informed comments and silly remarks from people who do not know any better.

But my children will have a better chance in an accident.

Point: mt fronty is selectable 4 wheel drive. And can only be used as a 4x4 in adverse traction losss conditions, so if i never ever used the 4x4 system, does it constitute being a 4x4? Or is it just a 2 wheel drive, with the option???

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Car safety is monitored by euro encap,cars are crashed and a rating given. Results from these tests show some of the safest cars to be in, in an accident are Mondeo sized cars,the new Ford Focus has just achieved a maximum 5 star rating.People carriers are also tested and the Fiat Ulysse also achieved 5 stars.It also tells us of low scores,the Kia Sedona and the Chrysler Voyager not scoring very high and Fiat's Seicento even worse(now discontinued).4x4's are governed by different rules and manufacturers do not have to inbuild as many safety features as a 'family' car.Although the size and solidity of a 4x4 gives the feeling of safety , the non impact absorbing chassis running from front to back and tendancy to 'flip'because of a high centre of gravity tend to make them less safe.The car on 5th Gear that was hit was,I believe, a 12 year old Nissan and I'm sure chosen for effect.Euro encap web site lists results ,with pictures .

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Car safety is monitored by euro encap,cars are crashed and a rating given. Results from these tests show some of the safest cars to be in, in an accident are Mondeo sized cars,the new Ford Focus has just achieved a maximum 5 star rating.People carriers are also tested and the Fiat Ulysse also achieved 5 stars.It also tells us of low scores,the Kia Sedona and the Chrysler Voyager not scoring very high and Fiat's Seicento even worse(now discontinued).4x4's are governed by different rules and manufacturers do not have to inbuild as many safety features as a 'family' car.Although the size and solidity of a 4x4 gives the feeling of safety , the non impact absorbing chassis running from front to back and tendancy to 'flip'because of a high centre of gravity tend to make them less safe.The car on 5th Gear that was hit was,I believe, a 12 year old Nissan and I'm sure chosen for effect.Euro encap web site lists results ,with pictures .
encap should read ncap.As an after thought I wonder what the result would have been if the car was hit by a lorry,bus ,motor home or even a car towing a tonne plus of caravan.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Tina, sorry for my post sounding like i was looking down on people, far from it. But anyone whatsoever who can not consider safety in this day and age has got to ask themselves some serious questions.

I have a caravan, i need a 4x4 to pull it for the weight as my van is heavy. But even if i didnt, my children are safer day to day in a larger 4x4 vehicle than a mondeo.

So i'll put up with silly peoples comments about snobbery (i drive a 7 yr old frontera, hardly status symbol), and i'll put up with ill informed comments and silly remarks from people who do not know any better.

But my children will have a better chance in an accident.

Point: mt fronty is selectable 4 wheel drive. And can only be used as a 4x4 in adverse traction losss conditions, so if i never ever used the 4x4 system, does it constitute being a 4x4? Or is it just a 2 wheel drive, with the option???
Hi lenny !

not being rude to you mate !! like I said I drive a big car ! my dad is petrified but I try to explain to him I think Its safer because of the better all round view I get, I must admit I too feel happier with the kids in this car !! Suppose I sound dead hypocritical I just try to live my life accepting what other people choose and expect the same.!

I wish you and your family many safe,happy holidays !x

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I dont know how my kia would come out in an rta but I think

Its alot safer to be in to start with as the all round view it gives me,coming out the drive ,at junctions with parked cars etc,we still have the primera I used to drive and when I get back in I feel extremely vulnerable as its so low and feel I have to be alot more aware ! maybe thats why alot of people go for the 4x4 and they are actually a lot less of a threat on the road than the public think.I peronally think that by driving these big tall cars that many accidents are actually avoided.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It all comes down to personal choice. Personally cannot justify a 4x4 of the 25K a year I perform, it probably does about 3-4000 miles towing max. Have looked at the economics of a 4x4 each time I change my car, but my head rules my heart on costs. My sister is on her 2nd Disco (also tows a caravan), but as all 5 of them are around 6ft tall the space is more of an issue. My private Mondeo TDCi, does everything I want it to as a mobile office, its extremely comfortable, safe, fast (if I want), economical (48 - 50 mpg solo, 30-32 towing) and tows my Provence effortlessly. Its also cheap to service at

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina, sorry if I put any dought about the safety of your Kia in your head ,that certainly wasn't my intention.My point was that the perception that a large car/4x4 is safer simple is not true .Crash results for a Smart and a Freelander (3 star)are the same! You are right about better visability making your driving safer,I know I feel safer driving our old Ford Maverick,which my wife uses every day than my new Ford Focus company car (5 star rating)Results for most cars can be seen on www.euroncap. com ,just click on the model you want to look at and see a picture and a review of the crash results.I think the point Im making here will probably answer your other post about erection problems,SIZE DOESN'T MATTER!!!!!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina, sorry if I put any dought about the safety of your Kia in your head ,that certainly wasn't my intention.My point was that the perception that a large car/4x4 is safer simple is not true .Crash results for a Smart and a Freelander (3 star)are the same! You are right about better visability making your driving safer,I know I feel safer driving our old Ford Maverick,which my wife uses every day than my new Ford Focus company car (5 star rating)Results for most cars can be seen on www.euroncap. com ,just click on the model you want to look at and see a picture and a review of the crash results.I think the point Im making here will probably answer your other post about erection problems,SIZE DOESN'T MATTER!!!!!
It would probably scare the wits out of me !!!

I started in a 999 service a few years back and since then

have learned to realise like you said doesnt matter what your driving really if you end up in a smash thats bad and fast enough

I'm not complacent like I used to be anymore,maybe thats the job or the fact i,ve matured a bit,and hence why a lot of young lads are in smashes, they are invincible,immortal superhero's !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I dont know how my kia would come out in an rta but I think

Its alot safer to be in to start with as the all round view it gives me,coming out the drive ,at junctions with parked cars etc,we still have the primera I used to drive and when I get back in I feel extremely vulnerable as its so low and feel I have to be alot more aware ! maybe thats why alot of people go for the 4x4 and they are actually a lot less of a threat on the road than the public think.I peronally think that by driving these big tall cars that many accidents are actually avoided.
If it's a Kia Sorento it has a ncap rating of 4 not bad. O.K the wife drives a Megane and that has ncap of 5,but it's 50% plastic.Still prefere to be in the Sorento. I am not sure of the new sportage ratings but I am sure I can sort them out

Rob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts