4x4 cycle carrier

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody towed with a 4x4 spare well cycle carrier fitted? Does it interfere or contact the van? Any advice would help as thinking of buying one. Thanks Andy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi,

i bought the paddy hopkik 4x4 rear spare wheel mounted.although this worked fine,found i had to take pedals off bike car side as it caught the bodywork.never had any trouble with the van on journeys.be sure to take it off before you monouvre you caravan into position on site,as sharp turns it will catch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi,

i bought the paddy hopkik 4x4 rear spare wheel mounted.although this worked fine,found i had to take pedals off bike car side as it caught the bodywork.never had any trouble with the van on journeys.be sure to take it off before you monouvre you caravan into position on site,as sharp turns it will catch.
http://www.roof-rack-supplies.co.uk/cycle-carrier-4x4-ranger.htm

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I towed with a two bike wheel rack on a Defender 110 towing a Castleton. With the steering lock of that vehicle it did not foul going ahead, but in reverse it was all too easy for the bikes to contact the van's front.

Nobody can really answer your question as there are too many variables. Vehicles differ in steering lock, wheel offset and wheel height. Caravans vary in "A" frame length, shape of front and position of Jockey wheel. Bikes differ in size etc and racks differ in how they sit on the wheel and how they hold the bikes.

Mine was in most respects a tolerant set-up but it was not a good solution and very inhibiting when backing onto pitches. I suspect most other combinations will be even less satisfactory. If you van is a Continental one that features a long "A" frame it should work out better.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I towed with a two bike wheel rack on a Defender 110 towing a Castleton. With the steering lock of that vehicle it did not foul going ahead, but in reverse it was all too easy for the bikes to contact the van's front.

Nobody can really answer your question as there are too many variables. Vehicles differ in steering lock, wheel offset and wheel height. Caravans vary in "A" frame length, shape of front and position of Jockey wheel. Bikes differ in size etc and racks differ in how they sit on the wheel and how they hold the bikes.

Mine was in most respects a tolerant set-up but it was not a good solution and very inhibiting when backing onto pitches. I suspect most other combinations will be even less satisfactory. If you van is a Continental one that features a long "A" frame it should work out better.
Thanks sounds like a case of trial and error then. Might get a second hand carrier and try. Andy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
hi,

Thanks Klarky sounds possible will give it a try. Andy

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andy

We have used Witter towbar carriers for a number of years. These fit into a socket which is bolted on using the 2 bolts that secure the towbar. We have used 2 versions of this Witter carrier. When we had a Vauxhall Monterey (Isuzu trooper) with the car spare wheel carrier on the rear door we used a version where the cycle carrier's vertical tube was angled to fit around the spare

Since getting our current Kia Sorento, without rear-mounted spare wheel we have returned to using the other version which has a straight vertical bar.

There are pros and cons to these carriers as to everything else:

Pros

(1) Unlikely to damage rear of car

(2) Bikes are access compared with roof mounted carriers

(3) Car and caravan interior space is not utilised for bikes

(4) Bikes can be securely locked on - we use D Locks and plastic-covered heavy duty chain D-locked to the loop on the towbar bracket

Cons

(1) One needs to watch the weight limits on the towbar

(2) It can obstruct the opening of the car rear door

(3) The bikes can obstruct hitching and unhitching - we put the bikes on after hitching and remove before unhitching

(4) The bikes can "foul" the front of the 'van/jockey wheel on tight maneouvres, ie, mainly reversing. We know remove the bikes before tight maneouvres

I hope this helps

Tim

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Andy I use a MaxRaxx, you can buy an extension piece to put in to gain greater height if you need to. Got mine from www.roofbox.co.uk, nice people to deal with, and happy to help over the phone

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts