Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Last year we bought a new Vauxhall vectra instead of a used 4x4 as they were the same price we thought we would prefer brand new instead of a 8 year old 4x4. We now find that the car has depreciated in value where as 4x4 don't. Not sure if it was a good move now as we tow on the limit, weight wise. Would there be problems with a 4x4 of that age and would it have higher running costs??? What do you think???

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
An 8 year old vehicle will always depreciate less than a new one. That's a plain fact that applies to all, regardless of whether it's a car or a 4x4. However, when comparing vehicles of equivalent age, 4x4's often hold their value better. On the other hand, running costs will no doubt be somwhat higher for a 4x4, not only because the additional weight results in significantly higher fuel consumption but also insurance and servicing will be more expensive, too. Although I've never regretted my change from a Vectra (old model) to a 4x4, my fuel bill has almost doubled when driving solo. When towing, the difference is not as big, mainly because the weight and size of the caravan made more of an impression on the struggling car which had to mobilise every available horsepower in order maintain acceptable performance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have found that we have lost shed loads of money on our car purchases in the last few years. The trade in values are so abysmal. It would be easier to just set fire to the money in the first place.

We are now running an "M" reg Trooper. Bought for

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Last year we decided to buy a caravan for the first time, as we had recently purchased a new car (Alfa Romeo 147 (Fab car)) some 6 months earlier we decided not to change it but instead buy a caravan it could tow. However we soon found we were getting less then 19 mpg from the car towing plus as we were so close to the towing limit you were clearly aware there was something attached to the car, power wise everything was OK.

So we decided we needed to change the car (now 12 months old), after looking at different cars and 4x4's we decided on a 5 month old freelander petrol at

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara 1600i Petrol 3 door Estate which I use both on road and around the farm.I have had the offer of a 1993 Elldis Hurricane 2 berth and as I am new to caravanning I had a match from Towsafe. The figure of 85.1 for the Kerb/MAW was given and concidered dangerous. What does this figure mean. The van has a weight of 827kg and my car has a KW weight of 1245kg which I thought would well in the 85%. Any views please.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The weight that you quote for your caravan is probably its kerbweight (or MIRO to use the correct term) but the match is calculated on the basis of its laden weight or MTPLM. This would explain the apparent anomaly. Considering the maximum permissible towload for a 1.6 Grand Vitara is 1600kg it does, however, surprise me that Towsafe should consider the match dangerous for the sake of only 0.1 over the 85% recommendation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts