4x4 owners denied insurance theft claims .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
According to the DT a lot of Insurers have refused cover if a “Tracker”is not fitted. Where fitted there have been cases where the owner did not renew the Tracker contract, car stolen, claim rejected.
Not dissimilar to our caravans but something to be aware of!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
According to the DT a lot of Insurers have refused cover if a “Tracker”is not fitted. Where fitted there have been cases where the owner did not renew the Tracker contract, car stolen, claim rejected.
What do they define 4x4 as? A vehicle capable of going off road or just the large SYV 4x4s

Reactions: Galgo slave
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
But presumably they make it clear that a tracker is a condition of insurance?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the reminder. I just let my tacker lapse on the caravan with the intension of notifying my insurance. Note made for Monday.

But I agree, Its only a condition if its signed up to. eg I get a premium discount for having an accepted tracker. I now have to hope there isn't large admin fee to update my policy.

John

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Land rovers esp Defenders are highly desirable and pinched. Our local force have a policy of stopping any Defender if seen out and about after a certain time.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the reminder. I just let my tacker lapse on the caravan with the intension of notifying my insurance. Note made for Monday.

But I agree, Its only a condition if its signed up to. eg I get a premium discount for having an accepted tracker. I now have to hope there isn't large admin fee to update my policy.

John
Which tracker do you have on your car? Never heard of trackers being a requirement for insurance on some cars.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I assume the problem relates to the more desirable ones which are most at risk. If it is a condition of having a tracker fitted then common sense would indicate that if they require it to be fitted they would expect it to be working, although the condition requiring it to be fitted would also indicate that it needs to be kept in working order.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Which tracker do you have on your car? Never heard of trackers being a requirement for insurance on some cars.
Quote..

"Thanks for the reminder. I just let my tacker lapse on the caravan with the intension of notifying my insurance. Note made for Monday."

On the caravan, not the car. Which is Phantom. I no longer think of it is as viable or value for money.

Lots of trackers are available for cars, I recently tried some cheap ones, total waste of time. I was testing them with a view to putting them in the caravan. See previous thread.

Out of my league, but I do know that for high value cars, Ferrari's etc. a Thatcham approved tracker is normally an insurance requirement. There is one rich person who is taking a company to court as he has a supercar and a high value Audi. He is charged double for exactly the same tracker service on both.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On a new 4X4 or any other car over say £40k, why are you worrying about another say £300 for a tracker. Pay for it and get cheaper insurance, , but yet again do you want the car back.
And the mess the Police make was finger printing checks, which is essential, , it takes a long time to get rid of.

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is another example of not following the terms of the contract, But why did you title it 4x4's? Iit would apply to any vehicle where it insure had made it a stipulation.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not my title, the DTs. The article highlights the theft of 4x4s JLRs in particular. Plus the requirements of Insurers covering those type of vehicle.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

I phoned the CMC up this morning to have the tracker removed and adjust my premium. Very pleasantly surprised, £8:40 to pay for the remaining 4 months. But I expected a £12 or £15 admin charge. But I was only charged the £8:40.

All painless, quick and easy.

John

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Jun 23, 2020
Visit site
i dont see an issue if the tracker is required as part of the insurance policy.

I do have problems with trackers though. the so called thatcham quality ones are terrible value to buy and or use.

Theres far better value to be had, far better quality and far better companies to use, but strangly enough as its a closed fixed market with this firms and the insurance firms its a costly to buy for the owner.

I also dont see the return on the insurance prices for the cost of having fitted one of these thatcham trackers either. Again far better value elsewhere

Reactions: Hutch and Jcloughie
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Despite what some people say here the recovery rate for trackers is quite good, well over 50% depending on the exact model so you can see why insurers want them fitted. The saving on insurance where it is not required is in most case modest however so for many it is peace of mind that sells them.
The police do like them though as following a stolen vehicle can often lead them to a lot more stolen ones and helps their clear up rate without any serious extra work.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 23, 2020
Visit site
Despite what some people say here the recovery rate for trackers is quite good, well over 50% depending on the exact model so you can see why insurers want them fitted. The saving on insurance where it is not required is in most case modest however so for many it is peace of mind that sells them.
The police do like them though as following a stolen vehicle can often lead them to a lot more stolen ones and helps their clear up rate without any serious extra work.

That only ever works on tv, most police i have dealt with in recovering plant and vehicles with the aid of a tracker are very negative and most as its a simple insurance write off are not that bothered with it, tracker or not.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That only ever works on tv, most police i have dealt with in recovering plant and vehicles with the aid of a tracker are very negative and most as its a simple insurance write off are not that bothered with it, tracker or not.
Strange as I had the complete opposite reaction from the police when dealing with them regarding trackers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts