Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, I really put the cat amongst the pigeons! It was a bit tongue in cheek, really. It seems I'm attacked on two fronts, the anti 4X4 and the anti Land Rover. 4X4s are no bigger than a lot of cars, especially the X trail/ Freelander size, are only a bit heavier, as economical as many cars, and at the end of the day, as with lots of other things, you buy what you like. Remember a Transit or such size van is much bigger than most 4X4s. Here in Cumbria very few farms don't have a 4X4 of some kind, and I would say 75% are Land Rovers. In the cities and big towns on the school run the Galaxys and Chrysler Voyagers are pretty big vehicles. True most 4X4s don't go off road, but then so what? Does every person who buys a Jguar or BMW drive them at 140 mph? I like my Land Rover, as I said it is a great car. I've tried some of the others, such as the Sorento and Hyundais, but as I'm over 6foot tall, my head touches the roof. They also feel very cramped compared to the LR. All down to personnal taste.

Right, next point. Am I the only one who finds it strange that caravan manufacturers and dealers advertise caravans as giving cheap holidays? OK, they can if you buy a cheap van, and stay on CLs. No, I'm not knocking that side of it, but if you buy a new van at say £13,000, assuming your car is suitable as a tow vehicle, you pay £300 to £400 insurance, storage costs and then stay on a club site at anything up to £20 per night, you need to do a lot of caravaning to make it cheaper than staying either at a hotel or a holiday park. This is not a critisism, just an observation, we have used our van probably no more than 10 nights in the last year, but of course it's a hobby, and hobbies cost money. Cheers all.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jesus Ray! Don't you know when to quit with the controversy? Next you'll be asking questions like, "should dogs be allowed on site" or, "why are there adult only sites, and what constitutes an adult" or, "can I keep my neighbour awake at night with my air con rattling away all the time if I have paid my site fee's like everyone else"

Come to think about it, perhaps Practical Caravan could add an extra forum labelled "Controversy forum", where anyone can script their rants and raves!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ray I would just like to say that I read your earlier 4x4 thread with increasing bemusement. I cannot believe that some people can be so judgemental I thought it was a reasonable question and you were just after a bit of advice. Incidentally I drive a Galaxy 2.8 V6 4x4 so I don't know what camp that puts me in!.

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
Well Ray, I think I agree totally - apart from the bit about Land Rovers, tried them on 2 occasions and came away underwhelmed. Disco 3 does look stunning though - maybe 3rd time lucky????

As for the bit about cheap holidays, this is just the "debate" I've been having with the Chief of Staff at home. We had our twin axle stolen last year and have been debating ever since whether to / what to replace with. I'm an accountant so I did a few numbers - in a nutshell, with zero no claims discount now, storage fees to pay and site fees to take into account I reckoned that our 3 weeks and 2 weekends use cost around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ray, I drive a 4x4 and the eason I do is that, to obtain an 85% match I require a tow vehicle of 1600kg. In addition, it is better on wet grass and, my interior mirror is usable. What horrifies me is the number of caravanners who tow large heavy vans that weigh far more than the towing vehicle. Especially in Summer, you can listen to the traffic updates on the radio only to hear 'the A whatever is blocked or passing is possible with care' because a caravan has turned over. I wold be interested to know what proportion are being towed by 4x4s or is it mainly the heroes towing very large heavy vans with totally inappropriate small light cars. These people are also giving vanners a bad name and causing measures, such as on the M5, because the towing vehicle does not have the power to tow the size of van, thus on justa small incline their speed just falls away.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray,

Yep I own a 4x4,I tow a 1400kg van,I go off road in persuit of my other hobby feild sports,I have to carry a lot of equipment to carry out my job, I like to drive in a higher positon to see over most other vehicles,I use the 4 w.d system in winter when required.Its a matter of choice what others do.I agree with you and if the anti 4x4 lot can say it does not suit them thats fine.

Keep caravanning and enjoy life as we should do rather than listening to other people cribs.

Thake care Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Believe me Ray, as a family of 5 who use their new van for holidays and short breaks it saves us a fortune. The cost for the 5 of us to go and stay in one apartment for 2 weeks in school holidays, somewhere like Spain works out about

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
you dont have to spend / waste shed loads of money on caravanning. if you stay away from dealers and dont insist on buying new , depriciation doesnt even come into the equation.for well under

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having camped and caravanned since the sixties and in the early years had to put up with the comments of taking cheap holidays in tents and vans etc. we decided to ignore our critics and get on with the kind of lifestyle we preferred.

In 1992 we decided to stop towing and go static, this we enjoyed very much but after 10 years got fed up with staying in one place all of the time.

we packed up the static and for 2 years we stayed at hotels both home and abroad, and a typical english 4* hotel cost us around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a disco3 TDV6 HSE it is a great car, tows like a dream, is comfortable, I get about 28mpg day to day solo and a bit less towing. It is a big car but very nimble. I make no apologies for having it, I bought because I like it. It does however seat 7 adults, I do drive it occasionally off road - it's great there too. My holidays don't cause the pollution that air travel does but again that's my choice. If you don't like something then don't don't do it or buy it, nobody is making you!

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
On the subject of 4x4s I run a Honda CRV,not quite a proper 4x4 but then not a regular car either so like Donna I shall probably get cold shouldered by both camps. I say each to their own as long as the outfits are used with care and consideration to others.It seems of late that our freedom of choice is being gradually removed, be it fox hunting, fireworks, fishing or what-ever there always seems to be a minority that think because they dont like it then no-body should do it.

Anyway now i am off my soap box, on the subject of cost of caravaning. I caravaned with my parents as a youngster and my wife and i(and two children) have just perchased a used van. We already had a suitable vehicle and only paid

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
On the subject of 4x4s I run a Honda CRV,not quite a proper 4x4 but then not a regular car either so like Donna I shall probably get cold shouldered by both camps. I say each to their own as long as the outfits are used with care and consideration to others.It seems of late that our freedom of choice is being gradually removed, be it fox hunting, fireworks, fishing or what-ever there always seems to be a minority that think because they dont like it then no-body should do it.

Anyway now i am off my soap box, on the subject of cost of caravaning. I caravaned with my parents as a youngster and my wife and i(and two children) have just perchased a used van. We already had a suitable vehicle and only paid

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts