4x4's available for the Easter Sunday

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
CliveV

Discovery - 6 seats available (SWMBO is just no fun anymore and would rather stay in the van with a glass of wine, the dogs and a book!)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't quite know why we are putting down what 4x4 it is we have but here goes.

Sorento, the whole of the back seat available.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi guys

Reason why we need vehicle type is that GLASS who are helping us plan the route need to know the capabilities of what we are in as some routes are not suitable for a "soft-roader" (non-selectable 4 wheel drive, no Diff-Lock and no Low Range), which will struggle, if manage it at all.

Vehicle recovery is not on our agenda!

For Safety we will have any "Soft Roaders" in between more capable vehicles as it is quite possible that we end up on a Byway that becomes impassable or passable only by damaging it. In the latter case we will not proceed as we will be adhering to the "Tread Lightly" ground rules.

Turning the vehicle round is not usually an option on a narrow Green Lane, so we have to reverse back the way we came. So we need the most capable vehicles at the front and at the rear to assist any that have problems.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That's a good enough reason for me Clive. I'm not sure how the Sorento will do off road, due mainly to the tow bar being mounted so low, will have to look at it on the day.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Every ones tow-bar acts as a "plough" occasionally. Trouble is it is OK on an off road course but bad news on a green lane, though I would be VERY surprised if the routes selected has such steep inclines that a tow bar grounds out.

GLASS's input will be invaluable because they will let us have maps of gentle green lanes. Possibly even a "guide vehicle" as well.

Does the Sorrento have Traction Control, Low Box or other electronic trickery?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It just has the basics Clive, ALB with EBD, low ratio and centre limited slip. It's not so much departure and access angles I was worried about, more deep ruts where the centre of the road is higher than the sides.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thats great Lol - Appologies - I did not know what kit it had as standard.

If you have low range that is the main thing. First gear low range to cruise along at about 5mph.

If there are deep ruts then the Lane will be in very poor condition and I doubt we will allowed on it as it should have a restriction order on it.

As I say, the idea is to tread lightly - if we or others make deep ruts then we are breaking the rules.

If we have a lot of rain, we may be asked not to go green laning that day because of the damage that would be caused by several vehicles.

Sadly this is where the hooligan element get us all a bad name - they do not give a stuff about treading lightly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have you fitted two more Steve?

How are the legs?

see update ll - Matt (from GLASS) has organised another guide.

So all should be able to go.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

No more seats fitted. Jo, and Emily are spending the day at the van having a rest so its just me and Nathan now.

Leg is good, frame will come off just after the rally and I can get back to work after nearly 14 weeks off. I can now walk without the crutches and only need to take one when out for a while.

Looking forward to this, do you run a cb for off road?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not a "proper rig" - just a couple of hand held Cobra 520's (I think?) They work well enough for what I have done so far and are useful if I want to keep tabs on SWMBO.

TRENDING THREADS