5 berth caravan and car ????help???

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
I need some help. there is me and the wife with three children aged 6,5, and 18 months, We would love to get into caravaning, its cost effective we can go whenever we want and we get to see alll the uk.. My problem is having three chidren in car seats mean it near impossible to get them all in the back, so we would like to buy a seven seater(we have scenic 2.0 litre 16valve petrol) and a 5 berth caravan, the car also needs to be fuel econmical for both towing and normal everyday driving ie school run and shopping.If anyone was in my situation or anyone esle that can give me some advice , i would love it.. its driving me crazy.. great site btw....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rich

What about a Ford Galaxy, we have a Sterling Sapphire and used to tow it with a galaxy, we used to take the center seat out to make it easier to move about inside.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rich

Welcome to the forum, before you start looking have a think about the basics.

Did you pass your driving test before 1st January 1997? If not then you may have to take a category B+E test in order to tow the caravan of your choice.

Have a look at the home page of this website by clicking the button in the blue box and you can access lots of relevant information about towing law, weights, tips for beginners and more.

Have you ever owned a caravan? It might be an idea to purchase a cheap used caravan initially to see if you and your family enjoy caravanning before spending a large amount of money.

When you buy a caravan where will you store it when it's not in use?

I'm not trying to put you off but weigh up the pro's and cons before spending your hard earned cash.

Visit dealers forecourts and look inside as many 5 berth caravans as possible to find out your likes and dislikes. The caravan that you buy will depend on what you tow it with so research as much information about vehicles that would be suitable as possible.

Good hunting !

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Our kids were 2,3,4 when we bought our first caravan 8 years ago.

Our first caravan was a 5 berth with a twin dinette, the seats at the front made a double bed, the seats at the back made a double bed with a bunk above. We intially slept our 3 kids on the double bed. We now have a 6 berth with fixed bunks at the back.

As has already been mentioned do go to dealers and look at different caravans, open the cupboards, lockers, find out how the seats convert to beds, location of electric sockets, TV point, main switches, with the bunk, check the space between the bunk and the wall of the caravan and any cupboards or shelves above or nearby. Look for storage in the toilet, do you have space for shampoo, shower gel, suncream, hairbrushes etc. All caravans have pros and cons. We use the showers on caravan sites so size of toilet shower in caravan isn't too important for us. With under seat storage do you have to lift or is there drop down cupboard access.

With 3 kids you need decent storage and easy access to everyday things- it makes for a more stress free holiday.

Good luck.

Annette

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
This might explain the driving licence law :

A full (not provisional) driving licence is required to tow a caravan. From 1 January 1997, new category B (generally held as 'normal' car entitlement) vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kg Maximum Authorised Mass allowing a combined weight of up to 4.25 tonnes MAM OR a trailer (for example a tourer) over 750kg MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM. This would mean that many drivers who possess only a category B on their licence would be able to tow a caravan provided it was not heavier than their car, and that car and caravan combined, does not weigh more than 3.5 tonnes.

New drivers of outfits over these limits must take a category B + E test.

Further information from: Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA)

www.dvla.gov.uk

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
So that explains why the West Sussex Police are stopping and looking at Driving Licences of people towing caravan horseboxes.

All has become clear.
I have been speaking to a few poeple who tour , they were not aware of the rule either.... oops. Granted they all passed their test pre 97..

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi We have three young children twins age 4 and Lucy 7. We started caravanning in 2006 and the twins were only 18 months old! We have a Shogun and have three car seats along the back seats. The shogun does have 7 seats, the extra two pop up in the boot. If you rely on using the extra seats in the 7 seater you lose valuable boot space which you need when caravanning. Our car seats are not just boosters, they are the Britax highliners with backrests and they fit. We have a Lunar Quasar 615 which has fixed bunks and a side dinette at the back and a wooden sliding door to shut the childrens room off - it is perfect and we love it. Good Luck Denise

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Rich,

We have one of the new Galaxies (with the fold-flat seats) and find it a great towcar.

It is comfortable and very spacious and economical, with sufficient weight to tow any single-axle (and some twin-axle) caravans.

TRENDING THREADS