5 Berth or 6?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are new to caravanning - having spent the last couple of years mostly weekend camping we started looking longingly at the caravans in the evening from our tent. We have a bit of a dilemma though. We have three children - A ten year old daughter and two sons of eight and seven. We have narrowed our search to two models - the Bailey Pegeant Auvergne which has the typical 5 berth layout or the 6 berth Bretagne from the same range. The problem is we can't decide which one. We see merits in both layouts - the five berth has the seating area for the children when the beds are away plus there is a solid fold away partition (all be it flimsy) between the children and ourselves at night - the down side is that the beds need to be put away for the seats to be used plus the boys will need to share a bed. The six berth has two fixed bunks and a smaller seating area to one side where the third child will sleep. All three children can have curtains pulled across for some privacy and get their own bed but the seating area for them is smaller plus the third child bed will need to be put away. The six berth feels more airy. My preference is the 6 berth as two of the beds can be left as is but we wondered if anyone has any advice to offer. Thanks, Simon

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
mmmm... that's a tough one . Do you go for a new van ie. new layout this year or stick to a tried and tested favourite. Well I would say the Bretagne is the one to choose. Why? Well there is the added advantage of the side dinette being there to have a brew and use as extra worktop space. Also that side door for bikes or whatever is brilliant. The van is just a Ranger 550/6 with a higher spec and a few refinements and it is going to fly off the forecourts. The down side of the Auvergne is that very rarely do 3 kids fit in the back end without a fight and a lot of beggaring around to sort the beds out. Plus if one of your little darlings should want to bring a friend there is room for one more.Heaven forbid!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Simon, We just went through the same dilemma. We bought the Auvergne and immediately reconsidered and tried to swap it back for a Bretagne. That was not going to be possible for a number of reasons so we persevered. I'm glad now that we did. Having had our first couple of outings marred by rain and wind, we really appreciated the space allowed by the foldaway bunks at the rear of the Auvergne. Also, our eldest is 14 and if we let her sleep up near us in the Bretagne, we would not have any semblance of peace pr privacy, even just to chat and sip a galss of wine. So, in the end , we are happy with the Auvergne.

Ken

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry, can't offer you any advice here, as in fact I could have written your post as we are in exactly the same boat; tenters wanting a bit more luxury, looking to buya new caravan, with 3 kids aged 5,7,9. i posted my problem about fixed bunks v's living area a few days ago, but don't think I've had any replies yet.

we're looking at the sterling range, debating between a 6 berth fixed bunk with small sitting area as well as the normal one, or a 5 berth, where the kids would have to share a double bed and a bunk, but have the advantage of a partition door.

Hope someone replies to you with some advice that I can take as well!

Good luck,

Lucy

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
Add us to the people in the same predicament. We've looked at everything - and much as I would like to avoid the bother of putting up bunks, I find that fixed bunks take up too much daytime space for those who tend to caravan in this wonderful climate of the UK.I think what I would like is the best of both - the side dinette for extra workspace, brekkie etc, but a kids lounge at the back, so non permanent bunks and a tv point? Am I asking too much????

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have plumped for the Bretagne but hace only two kids so the fixed bunks are a blessing. As for losing living space the internal of the bretagne is bigger anyway.A family friend bought a 2004 aurverne and after a couple of nights making the beds up he just left them made up and put the table in the awning.Still a hard choice, both nice vans. Whatever you choose good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dont forget you can also utilise a good awning with an inner tent if necessary. The kids may actually want to use this instead of the van but only you know the answer to that.

Good Luck with your choice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have you looked at the Hobby caravan range.From your list of needs you are describing them to a "t".look on the web under Hobby caravans.We have a 540uk ,they are very rohbust vans.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Before setting your sights on the Bretagne - check out the Ranger 550-6 (6 berth).

It comes in a couple of grand cheaper and it has storage under the rear bunks. Also - it's approx 100kg lighter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. I always knew it would be a difficult one to answer and I guess it comes down to experience and personal preference.

Thanks again

Simon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts