50 mph, 60 mph??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just wanted some opinions really..

Towing with modern cars and caravans equipped with ALKO stabilisers etc has made towing more enjoyable than ever in my opinion. For me the holiday begins at the storage site as I enjoy the drive when hitched up. My car (VW 2.0 TDI 140) pulls the van without fuss and cruises at 60 no problem. The only caravans that hold up traffic- by that I mean struggling up hills on country lanes etc, seem to be mis- matched outfits, or driven by by drivers who genuinely seem to think that they are the only ones on the road!

When I pass a 50mph outfit at 60mph on the motorway I sometimes get a dirty look from the driver as if I am doing something terrible. What are the thoughts of my forum friends? Am I OK to be doing 60? Do other towers feel it's safer at 50? I drive 30K buisness miles in my car, and probably 5K with the van, am an IAM driver and my company gives yearly driver training so I feel my observation and awareness skills are OK.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi paul i generally drive at 60 mph when towing i at that speed we make resonable progress and our out fit is very steady and the big trucks that are governed at 56mph don't pass the hold up in the first two lane are often caused by these trucks trying to pass each other and everybody blame the poor old caravan for the hold up happy cravaning pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
its what you feel safe at 60 mph is the limit NOT a target , and not in the outside lane , like you say the holiday begins as soon as the van is on the tow ball so whats the rush , yes move with the flow but dont HOG a lane this only upsets others and gives us all a bad name. good luck. Tom

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is my point, I feel safe at 60 mph, use good lane manners and drive with courtesy. Just wondered why I get looks that suggest I am a 'bad man' for daring to overtake another outfit when I am pulling at 60.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Both the equipment and the skill of the driver have to be appropriate for the speed. I wouldn't trust some outfits or their drivers at 50mph, let alone 60. Others aren't even a hazard at the the 130kph (80mph) allowed on French autoroutes. But doesn't the same apply to solo vehicles, too? Other than raising standards of driving, like the introduction of the B&E licence, there's not much you can do to improve the skill of the driver except experience. Equipmentwise, there is room for improvement. In Germany, for example, where the speed limit for towing is normally 80kph (50mph) there is a possibility to obtain 100kph (62mph) approval if the following conditions are met:

1. The caravan is fitted with hydraulic shock absorbers

2. The towcar is fitted with ABS and its GVW may not exceed 3500kg

3. The tyres are type approved for speeds not less than 120kph (75kph)

4. The MTPLM of the caravan may not exceed 0.8 times the kerbweight of the towcar (based on positive results of the experiment, this figure is going to be raised to 1.0 in the near future)

Maybe there is a case for differentiating along those lines.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pehaps it's jealousy? They want to go at 60mph but their outfits aren't up to it?

If you feel safe and happy and you are remembering all your Road Craft skills, enjoy the drive; I'm just behind you (safe distance, obviously ;-).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
60mph and higher where allowed in Europe is fine on the flat but downhill its better to not exceed 60 and obey the speed limit signs for towing like the excellent ones in France

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have earlier today returned from Paignton to Bridgend (south Wales) in under three hours. Left at approx. 5:30p.m. and hit heavy traffic on the Torquay to Newton Abbot road. After this it was plain sailing all the way on the A380, M5 and M4. I had no problems at 60m.p.h. and only reduced speed as the traffic and road conditions dictated. I have a Fourtrack towing a Bailey Ranger 500/5. I was however very concerned on th M4 between Newport and Cardiff west whereby I had a TARMAC articulated lorry so close to the rear of my van I could not see his cab even with extended towing mirrors. It is my opinion that whereas th majority of HGV drivers are first class, considerate and helpful to the caravan fraternity there are a few idiots driving large vehicles who think they have sole rights to the road and can create worry and problems to other road users. These are the danger and menace on the road. I am in two minds whether to report the driver to both his employers and the police for the stupidity of his ways.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
60mph for me also,because it is just enough to keep you ahead of the big rigs ( the legal ones anyway ) and I would rather pass them, than have them pass me for obvious reasons. I also think a caravan being towed at approx 50mph on motorways must be, to most drivers, a hazard and does nothing to enhance the vanning fraternity to other road users. I am no speed freak and dont drive like a loony, but I am comfortable with driving at 60mph and always looking ahead for trucks about to pass each other and looking behind for white van man before attempting any overtaking, and that includes the vanners that dont even flash you back in when you pass them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think the key thing is a well matched outfit. I see people towing heavy twin axles with a small saloon - often wonder how the poor thing copes and feel sorry for anyone buying it when the seller changes car. People should tow at the speed that they feel comfortable at BUT if it is too slow are they competent enough to tow? Pehaps the 'dirty looks' you get on the motorways is from people who do not know that it is legal to tow at up to 60. I also find it irritating to b held up by a 'Sunday' driver. Those behind can only see a caravan and that is where the blame falls. I had one coming back from Norfolk the other Sunday. Single carriagway road so I was limited to 50 and I had this chap doing 35 in front. It was many miles before I could get around him at which point I felt happy that those behind could see the 'holdup'. During my trailing this person a hero in a Merc tried to overtake me (outfit is 40 feet long) on a left hand blind bend and he only just about managed to slow down and pull back in before the artic coming the other way got him. I would also fully endorse slowing down when going downhill. Many years ago I was driving up a hill in Devon and this lunatic was coming towards me towing an empty car trailer and the outfit started to snake. I thought 'this is my lot'. Fortunately, he missed me before the trailer took total control and the car crashed ito the crash barrier at the side of the road with the trailer at 90 degrees, miraculously without hitting any other cars. I will admit to going to Scotland last year and exceeding the speed limit by 5 - 10 mph. However, I left at midnight and, apart from a few HGVs the motorways were clear so there was none of the swaying associated with passing o being passed by HGVs. However, at any other time I would have limited it to 60 max. Returning to the theme of well matched units, this is where the criticism of those of us using 4x4s gets me. The weight of the 4x4 means that I am in the very safe area of tow vehicle to caravan so 60mph is safe compared to those who tow where the caravan weight exceeds the cars weight.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
60mph for me also,because it is just enough to keep you ahead of the big rigs ( the legal ones anyway ) and I would rather pass them, than have them pass me for obvious reasons. I also think a caravan being towed at approx 50mph on motorways must be, to most drivers, a hazard and does nothing to enhance the vanning fraternity to other road users. I am no speed freak and dont drive like a loony, but I am comfortable with driving at 60mph and always looking ahead for trucks about to pass each other and looking behind for white van man before attempting any overtaking, and that includes the vanners that dont even flash you back in when you pass them.
here here

Apr 1, 2005
Visit site
I usually try to maintain 60mph on motorways, it generally means you maintain speed with the lorries and don't need to keep switching lanes. I also agree that outfit matching and load distribution are important. Load heavy items in the car if possible (remember they need to properly stowed or they could be a hazard in the event of an accident). things in the caravan should be stored on the floor and can be used to adjust noseweight a bit if you need to. In windy conditions I tow more slowly, in fact at whatever speed I feel safe at, the more windy it is the slower I go. The main thing is not to feel pressured to go faster than you feel safe at. It is best to try to get a "feel" for your caravan when towing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree that there should be some form of formal test for both the theory and practical side. Now that this form of holiday has really taken off recently, there seem to be many people who have taken it up without really researching into it.

Back to the main thread though. I tow with a Nissan Terrano 4x4 and usually have to keep a check on the speed as it's easy to star creeping over the 60 mph limit, not just on the downhills. If an outfit is properly loaded and matched then there shouldn't be a problem.

I find it annoying when I'm overtaken by someone who clearly has done it just because I'm towing a caravan. As straight away they slow down right in front of me. They then sit there at 55 or less which can cause a momentum problem on reaching a hill where I like to get a bit of a run up if possible. They then pull away, being able to maintain the speed, and I have to drop back.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Couldn't agree more with all the comments. we've just done a 2600 mile round trip to Switzerland - 2000 towing, 800 in France where we cruised safely at 70 mph, but my car is 500 kilos heavier than my 1300kg van, & we have an Alko stabiliser. MPG drops to 20 at these speeds, whereas at 60-65mph, we get about 24, from our BMW 2.5 diesel Touring Auto.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I feel that individuals should make every effort to be safe on the roads when towing, I myself am going on a C.C.C. course and there is lots of easily obtainable information on safe and correct loading etc. However, I think that by promoting the idea that people should take an additional practical and theory test might give our government of the day, (especially this stealth taxing one) the idea to cash in on receiving even more easy revenue from the motorist/caravanner. Has making everone take a driving test ensured safe drivers? Will making everyone taking a caravan test ensure safe towers? I very much doubt it!

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
i tow at whatever speed feels safe.you get a "feel" for the conditions depending on how much gear you have in the van , wind speed/direction , road conditions etc.sometimes the outfit feels happy at 60-70 mph , othertimes 55mph feels safer. i like to cruise between 55-65 if possible but if it doesnt feel right, gusty wind etc, i pull back to whatever speed it takes.if this irritates others , tough, i wont put my family or outfit at risk for some boy racer moron who is stuck on my backside in a rush to get to his local mcdonalds car park to do doughnuts & handbrake turns.

i agree with the comments about the solo car sunday drivers dawdling along at 40mph.how many times have i cranked the outfit up to the speed limit only for a bafoon to pull out just in front "cos theres a b****y caravan coming" then never go over 40 for the next 20 miles.grrrrr.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

I tell you what really gets me going is the stupid stupid drivers who stay in the middle lane doing 50/55 and will not shift over because your are towing and will slow them down, it's the mentality in reverse of "there's a caravan must pass it" then slow down.

Last week I was on my way to Scotland doing my usual 60 mph, I saw a unit behind me I needed to overtake indicated and pulled out safely then the unit that was behind me was passing in the outside lane in no time at all he was gone into the distance. I shall not repeat what I thought.

Regards Ron

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Paul, you mention a crucial thing. You are an "advanced motorist" just like me. The institute of adavnced motorist's are trained to be progressive but safety concsious drivers. 60mph is a top speed limit and I can tow my twenty foot twin axle van behind my 2 Ltr Renault Laguna estate at 60mph plus without a problem, but thinking of the safety of other motorist's and pedestrians I often tow below that. I have gone upto 75mph to overtake cars on the motorway who were doing 55mph until they saw me about to overtake, and then they put their foot down.

Sure on a hill I'm down the box and crawling at 20mph on a 1 in 5, but who doesn't.

The main point we should remember is, caravinning is about relaxing and chilling out.

It's more often than not that I'm held up by solo car drivers than any other type of vehicle, even the old farmer's favorite usually pull's over atfer a mile or so to let you pass.

Happy safe towing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with 90% of you, drive at what speed you feel safe at within 60mph and always expect the unexpected I have had deer jump out in front of me in Scotland , foxes on the Motorways

It is probably because I like to get most of my journey out of the way very early in the morning before it is light , and I also think that Tyron bands are an extra insurance , I have also had a blowout at 60mph which can make you need a change of underpants , I have now had tyrons fitted for peace of mind

I now set the cruise control to around 55mph I don't see the point of turning my liesure moments into a race meeting ..RJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I feel that individuals should make every effort to be safe on the roads when towing, I myself am going on a C.C.C. course and there is lots of easily obtainable information on safe and correct loading etc. However, I think that by promoting the idea that people should take an additional practical and theory test might give our government of the day, (especially this stealth taxing one) the idea to cash in on receiving even more easy revenue from the motorist/caravanner. Has making everone take a driving test ensured safe drivers? Will making everyone taking a caravan test ensure safe towers? I very much doubt it!
Hi Dave

Glad to see you are going to take up the CCC course you will not be disapointed they are good been there.

enjoy.

jim M

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Paul, you mention a crucial thing. You are an "advanced motorist" just like me. The institute of adavnced motorist's are trained to be progressive but safety concsious drivers. 60mph is a top speed limit and I can tow my twenty foot twin axle van behind my 2 Ltr Renault Laguna estate at 60mph plus without a problem, but thinking of the safety of other motorist's and pedestrians I often tow below that. I have gone upto 75mph to overtake cars on the motorway who were doing 55mph until they saw me about to overtake, and then they put their foot down.

Sure on a hill I'm down the box and crawling at 20mph on a 1 in 5, but who doesn't.

The main point we should remember is, caravinning is about relaxing and chilling out.

It's more often than not that I'm held up by solo car drivers than any other type of vehicle, even the old farmer's favorite usually pull's over atfer a mile or so to let you pass.

Happy safe towing.
think i will dispose of my 4x4 and get a laguna then if it can tow a 22ft twin axle at 75 mph SAFELY.Hope you never get a snake on at that speed because i reckon the caravan will be driving your car and we all know what that means !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John

The towing limits are 60mph for a dual carriageway/motorway, and 50 mph for a single carriageway. Which would be 70 & 60 for solo cars. Obviously lower enforced limits would take priority.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
my caravans hand book states that my van should be safe to 81mph. why should we be restricted to ancient tow speeds when outfits are, or should be, paired far more carefully than even ten years ago, let alone thirty or forty. in parts of europe i tow at a contstant 75mph (or more, occaisionaly) and in the uk tend to stick around 60-65mph (although a few years ago i did 96 mph on the m6 without thinking; you know the score, early start to go to the lakes, no traffic and the speed just creeps up!!! and even though it panicked me for a moment at what may have happened, even though the speed was excessive the outfit was rock solid. but what if? just for intrests sake, the outfit at the time was a swift barronette and a lwb pajero.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts