Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Time to sort of think about changing the towcar.

I Currently have a VW Phaeton 3.0 Tdi. and I fancy going back to a BMW 530d which in my opinion has the best and smoothest engine around. The GT version for some reason is discounted hugely. It seems much more practical to me having a hatch rather than a boot. It's not a full-on estate though. I would be looking for a demonstrator with < 10,000 miles and 'about' a year old.

I telephoned BMW to enquire about the cost of getting a towbar and electrics fitted and was quoted £2,500. That is hilarious, although it hasn't completely put me off. I will have to start looking out for one that has got the towbar factory fitted.
I don't suppose a dealer would fit me a towbar for a hugely reduced amount if I agreed to buy the car from them. You know, like a sweetener.
Anybody out there haggled anything like this? Anybody driving one?

Cheers

Ian

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I bought a new 520d last year. It cost me £900 to have the electric retractable towbar and electrics factory fitted. The only problem was the 13 pin socket was only wired for the lights and wont run the fridge when towing. I got the dealer to check this out and he told me that to have the “extra” facility requires a second wiring loom fitted. To retro fit this at “cost” would be £700. This was because all the rear skirt with sensors etc. needed to be removed. I didn’t bother with it, but was disappointed the dealer didn’t tell me about it when I ordered the car, it would have only been about £150 to have it included as a factory fit.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Yes, BMW do like lifting legs to a great height!
I recently enquired about having reversing sensors fitted to our Mini. Factory fitted they're about £250 if I remember correctly (and over-priced at that). £678 for the parts plus fitting!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts